The simFlight Network Forums

stb 3 wont run

airvice

when i press connect to fsx i get

unable to contact data server

endpoint not found and it goes on and on

this is often caused by incorrect address or SOAP

it would be usefull to allow a copy and paste function so i could past the error message here its way to long to write

UPDATE

now i have re installed and still wont connect and im getting error tcp 10061 no connaction coluld be made because target machine refused to accept it

k

You'll need to tell me a lot more about your configuration before I can make suggestions, including:

- Version of FSX;

- STB updates installed;

- AI Packages used;

- STB on same computer or separate computer? If separate, please send configuration files created as per user guide.

I'm afraid it is Windows that is not letting you cut and paste. A good solution is to do a screenshot instead.

Simon

You'll need to tell me a lot more about your configuration before I can make suggestions, including:

- Version of FSX;

- STB updates installed;

- AI Packages used;

- STB on same computer or separate computer? If separate, please send configuration files created as per user guide.

I'm afraid it is Windows that is not letting you cut and paste. A good solution is to do a screenshot instead.

Simon

fsx accel win 7

stb 3 sp1

ut2

ive tried intall on fsx and network machine neither sucessful

i had previous version installed over same network running ok also on fsx machine lk before i installed new stb v3 so i dont know why its not working now

and where do i find these config files that you want to see if you are talking aboyt sim connect i have this already set up ok for previous version

Please get it working on the FSX machine first of all, that is the easier configuration.

I need further details on the error, please make a screenshot and add it here.

this is the reason i have installed on fsx machine beacuse it has always has problems working correctly. sometimes ok other times not any way that is another story from v2

anyway once i do get it working on fsx machine how do i install stb server as it did not install when i re installed. there is no sign of it?

post-17627-0-95699100-1303079835_thumb.p

The error shown is typical of using STB and FSX on separate computers, and either:

- STB-DS is not running;

- A firewall is blocking communications;

- IP Address or Port numbers are wrong;

But before we get into any of that, we must be certain you can use STB and FSX on the same computer without any problems. Is that so?

PS. My vacation starts tomorrow until next Monday. I'll try to help but replies may be slow until next week.

Simon

The error shown is typical of using STB and FSX on separate computers, and either:

- STB-DS is not running;

- A firewall is blocking communications;

- IP Address or Port numbers are wrong;

But before we get into any of that, we must be certain you can use STB and FSX on the same computer without any problems. Is that so?

PS. My vacation starts tomorrow until next Monday. I'll try to help but replies may be slow until next week.

Simon

this is on the same computer i am getting a different error message on the remote pc.

but im sure once the fsx pc is working the remote will work too so lets forget about that one for now.

but when i try to instal stb it say its found simconnect cfg and will instal to connect to fsx on remote pc even though this is the pc with fsx on it it also names the fsx pc correctly it just thinks it is the remote pc for some reason i think this is the cause the installer top 3 option check boxes are then greyed out so

but when i try to instal stb it say its found simconnect cfg and will instal to connect to fsx on remote pc even though this is the pc with fsx on it it also names the fsx pc correctly it just thinks it is the remote pc for some reason i think this is the cause the installer top 3 option check boxes are then greyed out so

You do not need simconnect.cfg when FSX and STB are on the same computer. In fact it will make things worse as it makes add-ons think that FSX is on a different computer. Look in "My Documents" on your FSX PC, you should find simconnect.cfg in there. Please delete it, rename it or move it somewhere else. Restart STB, and let's see how that works for us. You may also wish to rerun the "First Time Configuration Wizard" once simconnect.cfg is gone.

You do not need simconnect.cfg when FSX and STB are on the same computer. In fact it will make things worse as it makes add-ons think that FSX is on a different computer. Look in "My Documents" on your FSX PC, you should find simconnect.cfg in there. Please delete it, rename it or move it somewhere else. Restart STB, and let's see how that works for us. You may also wish to rerun the "First Time Configuration Wizard" once simconnect.cfg is gone.

yes i managed to work this out i deleted simconnect cfg temporarily and managed to install stb and its works but i need simconnect cfg in there though because i use it for other remote addons. so i have placed it back after instal.

i also managed to get stb installed on remote pc but on both pc s i get ???? for flight times and user aircraft data has missing entries for gate number?

i am also getting airport database error on fsx pc stb " an exception occured whilst trying to complile a new airports database

i also managed to get stb installed on remote pc but on both pc s i get ???? for flight times and user aircraft data has missing entries for gate number?

This is described in great detail in the user guide, what must be done to have UT2 make its information available to third parties like STB. Please work through that starting at page 35. If it does not work, please summarize what you have done on both STB, STB-DS and FSX.

FSX does not make the user's gate available through SimConnect, so the only thing STB can do is to guess based on the current location of the users aircraft. Have you reviewed page 54 of the user guide?

i am also getting airport database error on fsx pc stb " an exception occured whilst trying to complile a new airports database

As before, more detail please. I cannot begin to guess what the problem may be from a single sentence.

This is described in great detail in the user guide, what must be done to have UT2 make its information available to third parties like STB. Please work through that starting at page 35. If it does not work, please summarize what you have done on both STB, STB-DS and FSX.

FSX does not make the user's gate available through SimConnect, so the only thing STB can do is to guess based on the current location of the users aircraft. Have you reviewed page 54 of the user guide?

As before, more detail please. I cannot begin to guess what the problem may be from a single sentence.

i have read the guide and thought i done all that is necessary as you have described but will try asgain

in fsx i toggle ut2 info c shift s as per manual and still get ???? on both machines

fsx folders are all shared

simconnect already set up and working despite having to remove the cfg during instal for some unmentioned reason ?

stbds latest version set up as per manual with remote stb pc name (i have tried localhost and local pc name here too for local stb still same issue(????)

also i have read the section about gates page 54 for user aircraft and guessing the nearest gate but i was expecting a gate to be guessed even if its not correct but im getting nothing at all?

and im still getting airport database exception error when i try to complile the data base or upon initial installation

also i would like to know why simconnect cfg would cause an install problem. For those of us that already use a network and addons we are all going to have the cfg present in my docs so why should we have to delete it there is no mention of this being an issue in the manual for previous stb version users?

i have noticed that the simon folder mentioned in this error message is in a doc and settings folder which cannot be accessed or shared windows will not allow it could this be a problem

post-17627-0-37905600-1303206743_thumb.p

Ok after numerous re installs i have finally got flight times on remote pc

but i am still left with the airport database error and the no gate data issue

so im guessing the lack of gate data is something to do with the airort database compile failure/ error as i have been at addon scenery airports will test default airport to see if makes difference

update

that made no difference still no gate data for user aircraft over network or fsx pc

also the remark is final call no matter what time i set departure or the airc4raft state its pmdg 747 400

update :

result is same with default aicraft too regarding user aircraft and gate / status message ie no gate info and constant final call message

“simconnect already set up and working despite having to remove the cfg during install for some unmentioned reason ?”

“also i would like to know why simconnect cfg would cause an install problem. For those of us that already use a network and addons we are all going to have the cfg present in my docs so why should we have to delete it there is no mention of this being an issue in the manual for previous stb version users?”

There are several cases to consider here:

1) FSX and STB on the same PC: you should not need to have a simconnect.cfg (certainly as far as FSX SP2 is concerned, don’t recall about SP1 and RTM).

2)FSX and STB on the same computer, and FSX on other computers. This described my development laptop, and I only run FSX for STB development purposes. For “enjoyment”, I run FSX on a separate computer and activate/deactivate the simconnect.cfg as required.

3)FSX and STB on separate computers. You always need a simconnect.cfg

After installation of the program, the next thing you see is the “First Time Configuration Wizard”. This is designed to help people who fit into category 1) and 3) to get up and running as quickly as possible, and that covers 99% of installations. For 2), people generally are expert with their computers and can work happily under the covers to do what the wizard would try to do automatically. The wizard looks for the simconnect.cfg to try to decide if you are 1 or 3, and configures the dialogue accordingly. Only If you fit into 2) might you find it helpful to rename the simconnect file beforehand.

Certainly I understand the frustration if you do fit into category 2, but I cannot cater for every situation that might occur. This is the first time it’s been a problem after more than a thousand installs. All I can do is learn from the market how people are using the add-on, and make things better as a result.

“also i have read the section about gates page 54 for user aircraft and guessing the nearest gate but i was expecting a gate to be guessed even if its not correct but im getting nothing at all?”

Indeed that is the case. There isn’t a general facility in FSX for an add-on to acquire the location of every airport gate in the world. With the kind support of Pete Dowson and a great deal of STB programming effort, we are able to read the content of AFD/AFCAD files and generate a world wide database. Of course everyone has a unique scenery library and once in a while we find a new situation that STB cannot deal with. Once we fix the issue for you, you should be able to get the gate data.

Checking with the source code, I think there's something new in your scenery.cfg file that I may not be handling well. Can you send it to me please? There are several of theses files to be found, the active one on my Windows XP system is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX.

“i have noticed that the simon folder mentioned in this error message is in a doc and settings folder which cannot be accessed or shared windows will not allow it could this be a problem “

It’s not a problem. Those folders you see are where to locate the source code on my development system rather than any folder on your computer. I generally find this a better option than many developers whom don’t enable this option, as I can analyze problems far quicker with this information available.

“also the remark is final call no matter what time i set departure or the airc4raft state its pmdg 747 400”

FSX will tell us exactly what state an AI aircraft is in, so that makes it easy. However it does not do so for the user’s aircraft, as the user is in control. Therefore we monitor several aircraft systems and environmental data to determine what you are doing in your user aircraft. That does require the user pilot to perform some common tasks as they conduct their flight, and there are details of this in the user guide on page 53. It may be the case that PMDG aircraft does not report the state of aircraft systems through FSX in the same ways as others, although we tested successfully with the MD11 and JS41 during development.

To help you understand what is happening with the user aircraft, have a look at the following:

1) In the installation folder, have a look in the Data Folder for “UserAircraftStates.xls”. This shows you the combination of aircraft systems states required to produce a particular user aircraft status/remark on STB. Note the CSV file is used at “run time”, but the XLS file is easier to read.

2) Click “User Flight” in the menu bar, followed by “Describe State”. This will tell you what STB knows about the user aircraft systems, as far as FSX can tell us.

3) Click “Reset State” to have STB reconsider the user state on the basis of the current values. This may be helpful if STB is getting a particular state wrong and you wish to move it on.

If none of this helps, please post a screenshot of the “Describe State” window and advise what you think the user aircraft state should be.

Simon

There are several cases to consider here:

1) FSX and STB on the same PC: you should not need to have a simconnect.cfg (certainly as far as FSX SP2 is concerned, don’t recall about SP1 and RTM).

2)FSX and STB on the same computer, and FSX on other computers. This described my development laptop, and I only run FSX for STB development purposes. For “enjoyment”, I run FSX on a separate computer and activate/deactivate the simconnect.cfg as required.

3)FSX and STB on separate computers. You always need a simconnect.cfg

After installation of the program, the next thing you see is the “First Time Configuration Wizard”. This is designed to help people who fit into category 1) and 3) to get up and running as quickly as possible, and that covers 99% of installations. For 2), people generally are expert with their computers and can work happily under the covers to do what the wizard would try to do automatically. The wizard looks for the simconnect.cfg to try to decide if you are 1 or 3, and configures the dialogue accordingly. Only If you fit into 2) might you find it helpful to rename the simconnect file beforehand.

Certainly I understand the frustration if you do fit into category 2, but I cannot cater for every situation that might occur. This is the first time it’s been a problem after more than a thousand installs. All I can do is learn from the market how people are using the add-on, and make things better as a result.

Indeed that is the case. There isn’t a general facility in FSX for an add-on to acquire the location of every airport gate in the world. With the kind support of Pete Dowson and a great deal of STB programming effort, we are able to read the content of AFD/AFCAD files and generate a world wide database. Of course everyone has a unique scenery library and once in a while we find a new situation that STB cannot deal with. Once we fix the issue for you, you should be able to get the gate data.

Checking with the source code, I think there's something new in your scenery.cfg file that I may not be handling well. Can you send it to me please? There are several of theses files to be found, the active one on my Windows XP system is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX.

It’s not a problem. Those folders you see are where to locate the source code on my development system rather than any folder on your computer. I generally find this a better option than many developers whom don’t enable this option, as I can analyze problems far quicker with this information available.

FSX will tell us exactly what state an AI aircraft is in, so that makes it easy. However it does not do so for the user’s aircraft, as the user is in control. Therefore we monitor several aircraft systems and environmental data to determine what you are doing in your user aircraft. That does require the user pilot to perform some common tasks as they conduct their flight, and there are details of this in the user guide on page 53. It may be the case that PMDG aircraft does not report the state of aircraft systems through FSX in the same ways as others, although we tested successfully with the MD11 and JS41 during development.

To help you understand what is happening with the user aircraft, have a look at the following:

1) In the installation folder, have a look in the Data Folder for “UserAircraftStates.xls”. This shows you the combination of aircraft systems states required to produce a particular user aircraft status/remark on STB. Note the CSV file is used at “run time”, but the XLS file is easier to read.

2) Click “User Flight” in the menu bar, followed by “Describe State”. This will tell you what STB knows about the user aircraft systems, as far as FSX can tell us.

3) Click “Reset State” to have STB reconsider the user state on the basis of the current values. This may be helpful if STB is getting a particular state wrong and you wish to move it on.

If none of this helps, please post a screenshot of the “Describe State” window and advise what you think the user aircraft state should be.

Simon

ok thanks for the info here i will report back when i have gone through what you have said here in detail