The simFlight Network Forums

Upgraded - FS9 freezes

I have not tried any other tabs, so do not know if this statement is strictly correct :-)

Anyhow it seem's we can get around the problem, if we use FSUIPC straoght after initial start and dont try too many data inputs.

That really sounds so weird.

Enjoy your holiday and in the interim, I'll try and get some more definitive info.

Okay, but i'm not going till Wednesday evening, and will certainly get back to you with something to try before I go. Watch this space please.

Regards

Pete

Watch this space please.

Okay. First new thing to try.

I had a look at the code for joystick scanning on FSUIPC3 and see that it still scans all possible "joy" interface devices, 0 to 15, even though it also now retrieves the DirectInput-assigned names and GUIDs for the "joyNames" list and device lettering. Before the joy lettering option was added, FSUIPC never touched DirectInput, using only the more efficient but more restrictive "joy" API which started way back in Windows 3.1 days or maybe even before.

In version 3.994, which you can download here:

FSUIPC 3.994

I only scan those joysticks I find listed in the Registry, in the DirectInput data. Maybe this will avoid addressing whatever it is in your system which is hanging the process.

Note that the joynames list is rebuilt when FSUIPC loads and each and every time you enter the FSUIPC options. However, it isn't until you enter the Axis or Buttons tabs that all 16 device possibilities were scanned.

Regards

Pete

Okay. First new thing to try.

I had a look at the code for joystick scanning on FSUIPC3 and see that it still scans all possible "joy" interface devices, 0 to 15, even though it also now retrieves the DirectInput-assigned names and GUIDs for the "joyNames" list and device lettering. Before the joy lettering option was added, FSUIPC never touched DirectInput, using only the more efficient but more restrictive "joy" API which started way back in Windows 3.1 days or maybe even before.

In version 3.994, which you can download here:

FSUIPC 3.994

I only scan those joysticks I find listed in the Registry, in the DirectInput data. Maybe this will avoid addressing whatever it is in your system which is hanging the process.

Note that the joynames list is rebuilt when FSUIPC loads and each and every time you enter the FSUIPC options. However, it isn't until you enter the Axis or Buttons tabs that all 16 device possibilities were scanned.

Regards

Pete

Hi Peter,

On first appraisal, seems to have cured it :-).

Bear in mind, though, have only tried those moves as reported in the last post. But with FS9 running for over an hour and repeated FSUIPC dialogue/Axis request's both with Cesna and EMB190, no freezes have occurred.

I have had to re-instate the .dll's I removed as, I couldn't get the Feelthere AB's to appear. But as they (.dll's) apparently weren't the problem no great deal, eh?

How's about the extra .ini lines, should I remove them?

Just to ensure, we are both singing from the same hymn sheet - I removed the existing FSUIPC.dll and then replaced it with the new D/L one.

I wonder if the old .dll was corrupted in some way?

Thanks for your patience.

Regards JohnT

On first appraisal, seems to have cured it :-).

Okay. If that remains so, then there is definitely a driver installed on your system which has no Registry entries defining its device but which responds to a "joyGetPosEx" call with its number by hanging! It might be some old device you no longer have or use, or something you installed by mistake or to try out.

How's about the extra .ini lines, should I remove them?

Yes, you don't want those. That was just for testing.

Just to ensure, we are both singing from the same hymn sheet - I removed the existing FSUIPC.dll and then replaced it with the new D/L one.

Yes, but simply copying the new one in would be exactly the same. It would replace it.

I wonder if the old .dll was corrupted in some way?

No, it cannot run if corrupted. It is signed and checked.

Regards

Pete

Greetings,

We have just finished giving the system a work out, and it is with no small amount of relief I can report all is well.

then there is definitely a driver installed on your system which has no Registry entries defining its device 

The only one I can think of is an old Saitek X52 driver. If memory serves me correctly, I believe that Saitek software is extremely difficult to get rid of. That is the only other Joystick I have had installed. I bought two of those in succession, and after the second one went faulty with exactly the same fault as the first one, noisy pots. I decided enough was enough at £100 approx per time.

Come to mention it, we did have one time where the log reported, no response Joy16 or 6 not too sure which.

I pre-empted your reply and removed those extra lines,when the joystick would not respond to an input.

Yes, but simply copying the new one in would be exactly the same. It would replace it.

Knowing my system, was taking no chances :-)

Once again many thanks for the help and advice to date.

Regards JohnT

PS Enjoy your holiday - from where I am, you deserve it.

We have just finished giving the system a work out, and it is with no small amount of relief I can report all is well.

Good. Thanks for letting me know. I'll make the release the current one in the Download Links subforum over the wekend.

Regards

Pete