The simFlight Network Forums

VRInsight MCP, Justflight Duchess and FSUIPC

Hello there,

I have a registered FSUIPC which I am not that familiar with yet, so please be gentle when it comes to the technical aspects of using this tool - I am an IRL pilot, but frankly I think it sometimes takes longer to learn how to do stuff in FSX than it does in the real aircraft! I am reasonably technical, but my programming skills aren't up to much and I am not _that_ familiar with FSX (there's a lot to learn!)

I'm using a VRInsight MCP combo panel, I know it normally uses the free FSUIPC but seeing as mine is registered that is presumably what it is using to interface with the sim. I recently purchased it and plan to use it with the new FSX version of the PMDG 737NGX when it comes out, but for now, I am also trying to use it's non-EFIS parts (the radio panel and autopilot controls) with other aircraft in FSX. I've been able to do this with the original FSX aircraft as the SerialFP2 program/driver that comes with the MCP panel seems to interface the hardware with the original planes pretty well.

I am now trying to get the thing working with the JustFlight Beech Duchess and it's not really working out. Autopilot seems to work OK but radio not really. I can make changes to stuff like the NAV and ADF freq's in the FSX virtual cockpit using the mouse and they are reflected in the indications on the MCP combo screen in the radio section, however I can't change stuff on the panel and have it show up in FSX. The one exception to that is COM1 and that doesn't work properly - only the active frequency shows up in FSX properly, not the standby, if I dial a freq on the MCP panel and hit the C/O button the active does get transferred to the active freq in FSX, but the standby freq . It's a Garmin panel in the Justflight Duchess if that helps. There is no profile with SerialFP2 for this plane and googling can't seem to get me anywhere. I am currently using the profile for SerialFP2 that is for the original MSFS planes so perhaps another would work better, but in the list of profiles nothing else seems to fit better (there is nothing for a justflight plane), perhaps someone knows if one of the others happens to work?

I've seen the information about using Lua and VSPE to create custom interfaces between the hardware and different aircraft, but to be honest it seems like a heap of work and I want to be sure that before I start down that route I am doing the right thing and that there isn't a simpler solution. In addition, I'm running Win7 x64 so VSPE is not free on this platform and I don't want to buy it unless I need to (although I might buy it anyway to run my SkyDemon VFR GPS software locally on the FSX PC, instead of over the network using GPSOut over WideFS as I do now).

Can someone point me in the right direction to get this working?

I am now trying to get the thing working with the JustFlight Beech Duchess and it's not really working out. Autopilot seems to work OK but radio not really.

That's very odd because radio operation is pretty much standard across all aircraft, add-ons as well as default. I can't imagine what Justflight have done to mess that up.

I've seen the information about using Lua and VSPE to create custom interfaces between the hardware and different aircraft, but to be honest it seems like a heap of work

Yes, and there's really nothing easy for the radios because they always work, as I say. i think you need to seek help in the JustFlight forum, because the radios should be completely standard.

You might also check in the VRInsight forum where others may have already solved the problem.

Regards

Pete

As Pete says the radio section of the MCP combo should just work it's one of the few things that we never hear problems about, if it doesn't work then Just Flight are doing something very unusual and you would be best asking them for advice. It certainly isn't something I could help you fix as I have no idea why it doesn't work, the only time I've heard of problems before is with the third radio set in the LevelD 767 and there was nothing that could be done about that as the MCP only supports two radio sets per type i.e. Com, Nav, ADF etc.

Hmm. Thanks for the replies. At least now I know not to jump straight in and start trying all sorts without talking to JustFlight first, I've sent them a support enquiry and will see what comes back. I have reinstalled the Duchess in case it was just a bad install but still no joy.

Hello there,

I have a registered FSUIPC which I am not that familiar with yet, so please be gentle when it comes to the technical aspects of using this tool - I am an IRL pilot, but frankly I think it sometimes takes longer to learn how to do stuff in FSX than it does in the real aircraft! I am reasonably technical, but my programming skills aren't up to much and I am not _that_ familiar with FSX (there's a lot to learn!)

I'm using a VRInsight MCP combo panel, I know it normally uses the free FSUIPC but seeing as mine is registered that is presumably what it is using to interface with the sim. I recently purchased it and plan to use it with the new FSX version of the PMDG 737NGX when it comes out, but for now, I am also trying to use it's non-EFIS parts (the radio panel and autopilot controls) with other aircraft in FSX. I've been able to do this with the original FSX aircraft as the SerialFP2 program/driver that comes with the MCP panel seems to interface the hardware with the original planes pretty well.

I am now trying to get the thing working with the JustFlight Beech Duchess and it's not really working out. Autopilot seems to work OK but radio not really. I can make changes to stuff like the NAV and ADF freq's in the FSX virtual cockpit using the mouse and they are reflected in the indications on the MCP combo screen in the radio section, however I can't change stuff on the panel and have it show up in FSX. The one exception to that is COM1 and that doesn't work properly - only the active frequency shows up in FSX properly, not the standby, if I dial a freq on the MCP panel and hit the C/O button the active does get transferred to the active freq in FSX, but the standby freq . It's a Garmin panel in the Justflight Duchess if that helps. There is no profile with SerialFP2 for this plane and googling can't seem to get me anywhere. I am currently using the profile for SerialFP2 that is for the original MSFS planes so perhaps another would work better, but in the list of profiles nothing else seems to fit better (there is nothing for a justflight plane), perhaps someone knows if one of the others happens to work?

I've seen the information about using Lua and VSPE to create custom interfaces between the hardware and different aircraft, but to be honest it seems like a heap of work and I want to be sure that before I start down that route I am doing the right thing and that there isn't a simpler solution. In addition, I'm running Win7 x64 so VSPE is not free on this platform and I don't want to buy it unless I need to (although I might buy it anyway to run my SkyDemon VFR GPS software locally on the FSX PC, instead of over the network using GPSOut over WideFS as I do now).

Can someone point me in the right direction to get this working?

Hello

I had this same problem with the Just Flight Seneca and my goflight units.

For some reason known only to themselves, Just Flight coded their own radios and transponder which have exactly no extra features over the default code, talk about reinventing the wheel.

Due to the modelled 3d knobs in the VC I could not even swap in the defaults.

I had no replys from support on this issue, needless to say it is now deleted and I dare not purchase any more Just Flight aircraft in the future.

Hi,

for one - there is a way to connect the VRInsight Combo with FSX without SerialFP or VSPE only based on registered FSUIPC. I use this with practically all my airplanes. see here

I do not have the Beech Duchess and can therefore not give you a ready to go solution but when I add a new airplane which is not all standard FSX I do a couple of "investigations" to figure out how to connect the MCP to it.

The ideal case is that there are FSUIPC offsets defined - either the standard FSX ones or in some cases special ones.

Not quite so ideal but still easy enough is that the aircraft and the panels use XML coding and expose a number of L: variables which can be used. You usually find a .cab file for gauges in that case. The AirbusX is such a plane - normal macro recording does not work here.

Most PMDG airplanes use a mix of custom controls and default FSUIPC offsets.

For debugging I use a lua script which comes with FSUIPC that dumps L: variables, FSInterrogate is a tool to check FSUIPC offsets and the FSUIPC logging of events and controls is also a good source.

Hope that helps

Kosta