The simFlight Network Forums

Pausing/Stuttering Using FSMeteo

Pete,

Me again - still trying to get things working OK with FSMEteo 6.01. I am using registered versions of FSMeteo 6.01, WideFS6.02 and FSUIPC 3.04. I'm using FSMeteo on a remote machine and WideFS is using TCP/IP - OS is XP/SP1.

When FSMeteo connects to load the wx every 6minutes and cycles through the in-range wx stations in FS2004 there is a slight but annoying pause or stutter as the data is download for each station. It seems to be related to FS2004 because there is no problem using it with FS2002 and its global weather.

I dare say there's some FSUIPC setting I should adjust, but I can't work out which one. I have read the FSUIPC and FSMeteo manuals but drawn a blank. I've tried to copntact Marc, but there's been no response.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Andy Ralls

EGTR

When FSMeteo connects to load the wx every 6minutes and cycles through the in-range wx stations in FS2004 there is a slight but annoying pause or stutter as the data is download for each station.

The "slight" stutter may be unavoidable. I don't see any here, but then I never run FSMeteo on-line - I like short hops, no flights more than 1-2 hours -- so a pre-download is all I need. The weather you get is usually a few hours old in any case.

However, folks using the FS on-line weather update facilities say they get noticeable stutters and jerks when it updates too. I don't know if they are comparable, but it sounds likely.

To be honest, until a couple of weeks before FS2004 was released I was actually on the point of ditching all weather control features for FS2004 altogether, because any slight change to any weather aspect was causing 1-2 seconds pauses in FS, not your nice "slight stutters", so I was very pleased when, by trial and error, I managed to almost eliminate them.

If you have any of those horrid 2D clouds the problem is exacerbated -- see the "Important Notes" at the end of the FSUIPC User Guide. Try with 100% 3D clouds only.

I also think Marc's working on improvements to FSMeteo at present, so there could be solutions that way too. In version 3.05 of FSUIPC, forthcoming, I provide facilites for weather programs to set weather for a number of stations in a sort of "pending" mode, then activate them. This should at least give you only one stutter instead of a load of small ones.

Regards,

Pete