The simFlight Network Forums

WideFS client for the iPad. Possible or fantasy?

I saw this software on the Apple App Store which runs on the iPad and lets real world aviators download U.S. navigational charts in high resolution, including Sectional Charts, Terminal Charts, High Altitude IFR Charts, Low IFR Charts, etc. Naturally these charts on the iPad are a fantastic tool for any real world aviator. While flight simmers can also use these charts of course. However their functionality is somewhat limited for us simmers since we are not actually moving in the world when we "fly". Therefore the GPS in the iPad is useless to us. I started fantasizing about being able to download from the App Store file similar to the WideFS client that could be installed on the iPad to interact with these navigational charts. Just like on a normal computer, this file would connect iPad to the computer where FSX or FS 2004 is running and our position (small plane icon) on the charts on the iPad would move showing our position in real time thus simulating what real pilots see when using the built-in GPS on the iPad.

I wonder if this is something that is within the realm of possibility. Pete? What would be the challenges involved in doing a WideFS client for the iPad?

Here's the link to the navigational software on Apple's App Store: http://itunes.apple....398554869?mt=8#

Best regards.

Gianluca

I saw this software on the Apple App Store which runs on the iPad and lets real world aviators download U.S. navigational charts in high resolution, including Sectional Charts, Terminal Charts, High Altitude IFR Charts, Low IFR Charts, etc. Naturally these charts on the iPad are a fantastic tool for any real world aviator. While flight simmers can also use these charts of course. However their functionality is somewhat limited for us simmers since we are not actually moving in the world when we "fly".

Not much use for us who fly outside North America where such charts are either not available for such devices, or are very expenssive.

I assume you cannot mean iGMapHD for iPad, as that follows your position in FS. Doesn't FS Kneeboard follow your position?

If you just want a good moving map, try FSXFollow. I use that on the iPad. For other things like instrumentation and I can also recommend AirTrack, which I use on both iPad and iPhone. There's even an FSXcontrol which allows you to control FS from an iPhone or iPad.

I started fantasizing about being able to download from the App Store file similar to the WideFS client that could be installed on the iPad to interact with these navigational charts. Just like on a normal computer, this file would connect iPad to the computer where FSX or FS 2004 is running and our position (small plane icon) on the charts on the iPad would move showing our position in real time thus simulating what real pilots see when using the built-in GPS on the iPad.

I don't think anything a complex as WideFS would be needed for such a trivial improvement to FS Kneeboard, if that is indeed the program you mean. I think you should ask the authors, or changeover to FSXFollow or iGMapHD.

Here's the link to the navigational software on Apple's App Store: http://itunes.apple....398554869?mt=8#

Blimey, another one? Not seen that one before -- but I'd recommend that you investigate some of the other programs I mention. The one you found looks an expensive way to go even if you do fly in North America.

Regards

Pete

• 2 months later...

I am developer of fsxfollow, fsxcontrol, fsxradar and fsxpad.

It would be fun to interface with WideFS. Does anybody know about the dateformat send from the server part?

It's not documented I'm afraid. It's a bit messy because it's grown since FSW95 days (a 16 year continuous update period) with so many fiddles to add new things without wrecking compatibility of the client with both Apps and the Server/FSUIPC parts that I wouldn't know quite where to begin now. Certainly others have had a stab, for interfacing to Apple Mac or Unix type PCs, but i don't know if they succeeded. They hacked it using Ethernet monitoring.

I should ask the question, though: what would be the use of an FSUIPC interface on an iPad or iPhone? Because that's what WideClient does -- presents the FSUIPC interface remotely. You'd obviously need to revise the FSUIPC interface it presents, but then ... who is going to write the Apps to use it? It seems to me that it would be easier to go the way you have already, using your own Ethernet interface.

If you'd care to explain what your ideas might be, perhaps I can release some of the source code for you to look at -- I assume you know C? But I'd pre-warn you, it is NOT a pretty sight, and some of it is so old even I probably couldn't explain it to you.

If you want to discuss this privately, write to me at petedowson@btconnect.com.

Regards

Pete