The simFlight Network Forums
Tregarth

Cannot access FSC on networked PC's

Dear Herr Heine,

I can save an FSC flight plan on my Acer (client PC) but I cannot find them on my FSX (Main PC). (I am using Win 7 Home Premium)

The 2 PC's are linked and talk to each other i.e. I can fly on my FSX PC and watch the plane move on the FSC map on the Acer PC. But when I save the flight plan on the FSC PC it does not appear in FSX's Load Flight/My saved flights nor in Flight Planner. (I have both the FSX and FSC boxes ticked in the Save Flight window.)

I have mounted the folders so that in Acer I can see 2 network icons, Documents (\\User-PC) (Y:) and MS FSX X: (\\User-PC) (Z:) I can read the contents of the FSX machine's folders on the Acer PC so they are connected.

BUT, when I click on the FSC network icon on the Main PC I see "Windows cannot access \\Acer-PC\fsc9 . You do not have permission...." . Where do I go to obtain permission?

On the Acer PC I have set the FSC folder's Share Properties so that the network path is \\Acer-pc\fsc9, all the permissions have been set to Read/Write and Owner etc. Also, I have set up a path for the FlightPlan folder as \\Acer-pc\fsc9\Flightplan; again with all permissions granted.

I have looked at User Account Control both as the Administrator and my own personal account settings, both accounts have been turned off, so that is not blocking entry.

Further, on the Main PC in addition to the FSC9 network icon I can see an icon for Users, I can open this and read everything on the Acer PC.

Is there a setting which I need to unlock to enable the Main PC FSC link to connect to the Acer PC? And will this enable FSC flight plans to appear in FSX?

Thank you,

Clive Drake

BUT, when I click on the FSC network icon on the Main PC I see "Windows cannot access \\Acer-PC\fsc9 . You do not have permission...." . Where do I go to obtain permission?

Hi Clive.

If you receive this message then you have set the permissions rights wrong.

Then, of course, our program has no effect and I can not tell you why this is so.

Our program expects a properly configured network, so it has access to the shared drives.

Regards,

Volker

Dear Herr Heine,

Thnak you for your reply, made during the weekend.

I must say I was hoping for a more constructive response. I appreciate the network settings on my PC are not known to you but I was hoping you would have made suggestions as to where I should look to enable the 2 PC's to communicate with respect to the problem as described previuosly.

If you can make any suggestions or give any pointers in the light of your experience I would be pleased to know them.

Thank you,

C Drake

Hi Clive,

maybe I can help you although I'm a liitle bit confused on what you are describing. So first to make it clear:

- Acer (client PC) is the one where you run FSC

- Main PC is where FSX runs

OK?

Dear Otto,

I really appreciate your offer.

My 2 PC's, Main and Acer are networked together via a hub. The credentials in Win 7 have been set so that they connect to each other on Start-Up.

The Main PC (called Clive-PC) contains FSX and FSUIPC; the Acer PC (called ACER-PC) contains FSC and WideFS/WideClient.

If I click on the Acer-PC icon I see image Clive-PC Networking window.jpg

The Acer-PC icon has the following sub-folders

Clicking on the icons in the left window pane I see

Aerosoft - This folder is empty.

FlightPlan - Clicking on this shows "Windows cannot access \\Acer-PC\FlightPlan. You do not have permission to enter \\Acer-PC\FlightPlan. "

fsc Clicking on this shows "Windows cannot access \\Acer-PC\fsc. You do not have permission to enter \\Acer-PC\fsc. "

fsc9 Clicking on this shows "Windows cannot access \\Acer-PC\fsc9. You do not have permission to enter \\Acer-PC\fsc9. "

Users This folder opens as normal.

Using Windows Explorer I have set the FSX folder to Shared Network path is \\Clive-pc\FSX Both Clive and Everyone have Full Sharing permission. In Advanced Sharing both Everyone and Administrators (clive-pc\Administrators) have full permissions.

Similarly Users\Clive\My Documents has a network path of \\Clive-PC\Documents. Again all permissions have been granted.

Going to the Acer-PC Clicking on Clive-PC I see the image Acer-PC Networking window.jpg

I can open all of the folders shown in Clive-PC

The Network path of the folder FSC9 is \\Acer-pc\fsc9. In Sharing both Administrator and Clive have the same path \\Acer-pc\fsc9.

In Advanced Sharing both Everyone and Administrators (Acer-pc\Administrators) have full permissions.

Similarly the FlightPlan folder (network path \\Acer-Pc\FlightPlan) have full permissions and the path \\Acer-Pc\FlightPlan. Also Advanced Sharing has full permissions.

Consequently I cannot understand why the Clive-PC cannot access the Acer-PC FSC files.

I apologise if I have written too much but I am sure there is a switch/setting that I am missing but I have no idea where to look for it.

Lastly, I have flown a quick test circuit with FSX, WideClient and FSC9 running and the map on the Acer-PC works perfectly.

If you can shed any light on this I would be very grateful.

Thank you,

Clive Drake

Hi Clive,

maybe I can help you although I'm a liitle bit confused on what you are describing. So first to make it clear:

- Acer (client PC) is the one where you run FSC

- Main PC is where FSX runs

OK?

post-15948-0-51475000-1312228708_thumb.j

post-15948-0-89154700-1312228691_thumb.j

Dear Otto,

I appreciate your offer of help, have you had time to look at the problem and make a suggestion as to how to cure it?

Thank you,

Clive

Sorry Clive, was offsite for a while. I'll try to check this within my environment with 2 Win7 PCs. My actual config with a Win7 PC for FSX and a Windows HOme Server (based on W2003 Server) for FSC runs very well.

But in the meantime to make some things clear (sorry, if you alredy checked this):

- did you try just to copy a file from your Acer PC to your Main PC?

- just to remember how things work: FSC writes several files when you save a flightplan (according what you select in the save dialog). e.g. when you select "FS Commander" and Flight Simulator X" 2 files will be saved: The FSC plan in the Flightplan folder of your FSC installation (your Acer PC) and a FSX plan in the Folder "....\Flight Simulator X Files" on your FSX PC (your Main PC).

- If you don't have sufficient rights, then saving the FSX plan fails.

Do you have UAC turned off?

Did you install everything as Administrator?

Dear Otto,

I have sorted it out; Thank you very much for your help.

I uninstalled FSC9 and re-installed it.

I now have 3 pages of A4 notes on how to do it - basically it comes down to an earlier comment I made that the FSC9 guide only relates to Win XP, it has not been updated to Win7 which means the FSC instructions are hard to follow since Win7 is so different from XP.

For a novice using Win 7 the instructions are not a lot of help.

In fact a recent post shows someone else has the same opinion.

Maybe Herr Heine should rewrite his instructions. Like everything in Windows it is not difficult if you know what you have to do and can understand why you have to do it that way.

Thank you again,

Clive

Dear Otto,

I have sorted it out; Thank you very much for your help.

I uninstalled FSC9 and re-installed it.

I now have 3 pages of A4 notes on how to do it - basically it comes down to an earlier comment I made that the FSC9 guide only relates to Win XP, it has not been updated to Win7 which means the FSC instructions are hard to follow since Win7 is so different from XP.

For a novice using Win 7 the instructions are not a lot of help.

In fact a recent post http://forum.simflig...494#entry429494 shows someone else has the same opinion.

Maybe Herr Heine should rewrite his instructions. Like everything in Windows it is not difficult if you know what you have to do and can understand why you have to do it that way.

Thank you again,

Clive

glad you got it working, i have it working also now, i had extra parts and just put together a system with xp, now i got 3 networked together, windows 7, vista and xp. so all is good now.

Truly, CONGRATULATIONS!

I changed over to Win 7 on both my PC's because I had so much trouble with XP on one and Win7 on another.

Tregarth

glad you got it working, i have it working also now, i had extra parts and just put together a system with xp, now i got 3 networked together, windows 7, vista and xp. so all is good now.

Tregarth - It is a well doccumented issue that because Win7 has much tighter security features than XP, it's hard to network them.