The simFlight Network Forums
conao

About performance...

Hi guys,

After installing FSX in the new PC I continued with the installation of my add-ons. After each one of them, I booted the sim with the default Cessna on one of the runways at the default Heathrow (EGLL), always keeping the same settings, to compare the FPS hit of each add-on, in case I'd need to optimize/remove something to keep my target of 30 FPS (or 24FPS on worst case). This new rig is quite powerfull and the FPS suffered no significant hit after the installation of all the Scenery/Environment related add-ons that you can see in my signature (from 66FPS to 60FPS).

However, after installing MYTrafficX 5.3b, I got a bit shocked that they dropped from 60FPS to 32FPS! By checking the config option "Use simplified aircraft models and textures" it increased to 37FPS. Of course, 37FPS seems still good enough for the test flight, but I can't keep my target with an add-on airliner on final at EGLL, which takes it down to 20FPS (with good weather). And I was hoping I'd finally be able to install the Heathrow Mega Airport add-on... but forget it!

I must say it was a disappointing result after the money invested in the new PC. Thanks to my installation tests, I know MyTrafficX is by far the heaviest hit on the sim's performance and the one I have to tackle first. Well, I love MyTrafficX and removing it is not an option. It keeps the world alive and is probably in the top of my "must have" add-ons list. So here are my questions to Buckhard or some of you other experts:

1. Is this huge performance hit really what I should expect or does it look more like something is wrong here?

2. Does the "Use simplified aircraft models and textures" option remove the jetways' animations like in previous versions?

3. Is there something more I can do to try to reduce the performance hit, before reducing the traffic density?

Here are some of my test settings that might be important to analyse it:

. Scenery complexity: Very Dense

. Autogen density: Dense

. Airline traffic density: 30%

. GA traffic density: 30%

. Airport vehicle density: Low

. Road vehicles: 0%

. Preview DirectX 10: Disabled (I then selected "2010 schedules for DirectX 9" in Mytraffic Communicator, is that correct for this configuration?)

Thanks for any help!

Marconi

With your settings now, 95% of the resources MyTraffic needs just go into moving the aircraft around you deep inside FSX, within approx 130 miles distance, nothing you can change but by reducing the traffic density. If you are intersted into one airport only, you can enhance there by cutting down elsewhere.

Unfortunately, due to the strong interaction of AI traffic and scenery ( the aircraft needs to find the runway ) both parts run on the same CPU core, so if you have a dual or a hex CPU does not help at all.

Also do not get hung up on FPS. Whether your FPS is 30 or 60 the human eye/brain is not going to be able to tell the difference. Most people probably can not tell the difference between 20 FPS and 30 FPS as long as the sim is smooth.

What you are interested in is how smooth the sim flows, stutters is what you can really see. My system is OC'ed to 4.44GHz and if I can get 20 FPS at an airport like KJFK, KPHL and KORD I am happy. I do not have any of the Aerosoft, FSDT, etc. payware airports because they just throw to much at the sim, those types of airporst are resource hogs and slow everything down. Great AI is more important to me, but that is just my opinion, of course yours maybe different and that is fine.

Here is a link to a great guide to optimized Win7 and FSX for performance, if you decide to try it, read through the whole thing first and with this guide it is all or nothing, you can not pick and choose what you want to use, you have to do it all or do not do any of it because the results will not be what you are looking for. Go to the post by NickN on 11-April-2010 that starts with "Now, ROCK ON"

http://www.simforums.com/forums/topic34141_post198187.html#198187

Hello guys,

Wow, support on Sunday and in less than 10 minutes is really a luxury! Thank you all! :-)

Burkhard, I assume from your reply that the jetways' animations are already disabled with the simplified models, right? I remember it made a significant difference in my previous PC. :-(

Idahosur, you're right, one should not only focus on FPS. However, I use it as a reference and also believe it's a valid measure for smoothness. Below 20 FPS I start to lose the feeling of smoothness as I can see the scenery make small jumps while I maneuvre the aircraft. AFAIK, movies are around 24FPS and TV around 30FPS because these are close to the minimums to safely lure the human eye/brain. That's why I have them as my targets. Of course, this would not be enough if I had stutters, which I don't, probably due to the SSD and the rest.

Andydigital, you get my praise today! I had no idea that a small reduction in airport vehicles from Low to None would still make such a difference in the sim. Your numbers are right: 30%! It jumped from 37 to 50FPS! It's a compromise, like everything else, but one that I'm more likely to take considering what I lose and what I get.

Again, thank you all for your help!

Marconi

Hello guys,

Wow, support on Sunday and in less than 10 minutes is really a luxury! Thank you all! :-)

Burkhard, I assume from your reply that the jetways' animations are already disabled with the simplified models, right? I remember it made a significant difference in my previous PC. :-(

Idahosur, you're right, one should not only focus on FPS. However, I use it as a reference and also believe it's a valid measure for smoothness. Below 20 FPS I start to lose the feeling of smoothness as I can see the scenery make small jumps while I maneuvre the aircraft. AFAIK, movies are around 24FPS and TV around 30FPS because these are close to the minimums to safely lure the human eye/brain. That's why I have them as my targets. Of course, this would not be enough if I had stutters, which I don't, probably due to the SSD and the rest.

Andydigital, you get my praise today! I had no idea that a small reduction in airport vehicles from Low to None would still make such a difference in the sim. Your numbers are right: 30%! It jumped from 37 to 50FPS! It's a compromise, like everything else, but one that I'm more likely to take considering what I lose and what I get.

Again, thank you all for your help!

Marconi

airport vehicles should by either zero of full. Intermediate settings may mean only one fuel truck has to serve a giant airport...