The simFlight Network Forums

throttle axis problem

Hi Pete,

My setup has worked fine when I was using Windows XP but I've passed to Windows 7 and that's not so fine.

I'm experiencing problems of axis throttle in FSX with my Saitek X45 device. It works properly in Windows 7 settings, but just doesn't with FSX.

It's well installed with the correct driver for Windows 7 32 bits from Saitek, calibrated, and the windows game controller settings let me see a correct throttle axis behaviour from mini to maxi, with these values MINI = 255, MAXI = 83.

With FSX control settings, I just can't get my throttle axis to work properly. I've a fresh FSX install with just FSUIPC and PMDG 737 NGX installed.

At first glance and from what I see in FSX settings, the throttle axis is set with the actual throttle axis of my X45 device.

But once in the cockpit, the throttle doesn't affect FSX in any way.

So I decided to fix this with FSUIPC 4.70b.

In axis assignments, with raw mode activated, I have the same in / out values displayed with a normal and progressive behaviour. It's detected as my S axis.

I assigned it to FS as normal axis with "axis throttle set".

In FSX, when throttle is already idle, I push to the max and only get mid-power set in FSX... and then it doesn't move from there. The same if I set full thrust with F4 key, and then uses my throttle device, it will reduce to mid power in one kick and doesn't control anymore the thrust lever.

Any move of my throttle appears to apply directly in one kick mid-power and nothing more. At this time, I haven't used the joystick calibration page of FSUIPC and I removed the FSX control setting applied for throttle to let FSUIPC manage alone that value but that didn't make it better.

Then I tried to use the direct to FSUIPC calibration assigning method.

Still in raw mode, I assigned S axis to "throttle".

Then I went to the joystick calibration page of FSUIPC, clicked SET to process the throttle axis.

Positioned at idle, i can record the minimum value with the respective set button.

Positioned at max position, i cannot record the maximum value although it is correctly read at he IN field. The maximum value remains +16380 value, which doesn't make the throttle works correctly in FSX..

I installed FS2004 and the problem is the same.

Please help !

I'll bring you more details if you need so to understand my problem.

post-504-0-90313800-1314662289_thumb.jpg

post-504-0-97974900-1314662298_thumb.jpg

But once in the cockpit, the throttle doesn't affect FSX in any way.

If FSX cannot handle it, then it is unlikely that FSUIPC will. Both use the same DirectInput functions in Windows. It sounds like a job for Saitek support.

So I decided to fix this with FSUIPC 4.70b.

There's a much later update for that in the Download Links subforum -- 4.727 as I write this.

In axis assignments, with raw mode activated, I have the same in / out values displayed with a normal and progressive behaviour. It's detected as my S axis.

Why are you using raw mode? That's really intended for software control of axes, where the incoming values are meant to be written to FS untouched -- not scaled or calibrated. It's used for things like setting radio frequencies from programmable cards like EPIC.

I assigned it to FS as normal axis with "axis throttle set".

That's basically the same as assigning it in FS itself, but bypassing the sensitivity and null zone sliders.

In FSX, when throttle is already idle, I push to the max and only get mid-power set in FSX... and then it doesn't move from there. The same if I set full thrust with F4 key, and then uses my throttle device, it will reduce to mid power in one kick and doesn't control anymore the thrust lever.

Any move of my throttle appears to apply directly in one kick mid-power and nothing more. At this time, I haven't used the joystick calibration page of FSUIPC and I removed the FSX control setting applied for throttle to let FSUIPC manage alone that value but that didn't make it better.

If you assigned to the FS control, as you did, and don't calibrate in FSUIPC, then FSUIPC is really doing nothing for you. The only point of using FSUIPC is for the calibration, or the wider range of controls which can be assigned.

Positioned at idle, i can record the minimum value with the respective set button.

Positioned at max position, i cannot record the maximum value although it is correctly read at he IN field.

That only happens when you are trying to set a LOWER value for maximum than the minimum. It sounds like your throttle is reversed. Before calibration you need to check the REV box. Calibration input values proceed low to high, left to right. Minimum is always lower than Maximum. That's why they have such names.

The maximum value remains +16380 value, which doesn't make the throttle works correctly in FSX..

The maximum full thrust value is +16383, so if you are referring to the OUT value obtained, that's as full a thrust as you need.

Don't use RAW mode, and ensure you are calibrating in the correct order, left to right, low to high.

From what you say about assigning in FS itself, though, it sounds like something is badly wrong with either the device or the driver you are using.

Pete

I used raw mode because it's the only way to get a "normal" behaviour of the throttle values, at least it moves, but between 255 and 83...

Anyway, you must be right about a possible driver problem as I couldn't get my values normal -16 000 / + 16 000 .

Thanks !

I used raw mode because it's the only way to get a "normal" behaviour of the throttle values, at least it moves, but between 255 and 83...

I'm pretty sure the few Saitek levers I've seen have raw mode ranges of more like 0 to 1023. But whatever the RAW range is it shouldn't matter (except in terms of resolution or granularity) because it's the job of the driver to scale those to the correct Windows range.

Regards

Pete

• 6 months later...

i want to calibrate my throtel quandrant with fsuipc "send to fs as normal axis"

how can i do this

What's the problem? Either assign it in FS in the notmal way, or in FSUIPC Axes assignments to the appropriate FS axis control (eg "axis throttleN set" for throttle N), then calibrate in FSUIPC. Calibration has a chapter of its own in the User Guide. Follow the numbered steps.

Pete