The simFlight Network Forums

Throttle Manager to Allow Axis Forward/Reverse Toggle

pilotjohn

John

I have one more question. I use the CH Throttle Quadrant with the Throttle Clips so it basically takes 2 throttle levers and makes it one lever, I have my last two levers as my buttons to make it trigger the reverse. So I have throttle 1 and 2 set up with your method. I want to set this up for the PMDG 747X using the same method but to work with all 4 engines.

I have 2 questions on this one.

1- Is there a way I can leave my clips on there and map say throttle 1 to control throttle 1 and 2? and throttle 2 to control 3 and 4?

2- If I can do the above, when I select the button portion to toggle to reverse can the parameters be 1 and 2 or am I allowed just one engine in that setting?

If I cant do the above then I can just add engine 3 and 4 to my levers and take off the clips but how do I add this to your txt file? Do I just tkae the below and take out #1 and put #3 and so on?

{

{

0x310A, -- Throttle disconnect offset

0x40, -- Throttle disconnect mask

0x3330, -- Throttle axis offset

0x333A, -- Throttle limit offset

-16384, -- Throttle limit override (J41 reads -4096, but it's really -16384), 0 to disable

65820, -- 0x088C -- Throttle set offset or control (J41 needs control)

1, -- Throttle toggle flag

1, -- Throttle forward ratio

1, -- Throttle reverse ratio

-64, -- Throttle toggle to forward on reverse greater than, 0 to disable

0, -- Duration of display when throttle toggled, 0 to disable

"#1 Forward Thrust", -- Text to display when forward selected, "" to disable

"#1 Reverse Thrust", -- Text to display when reverse selected

"#1 No Reverse Thrust", -- Text to display when no reverse on aircraft

0, -- Duration of display when throttle updated

"#1 Forward Thrust: ", -- Text to display when reverse set

"#1 Reverse Thrust: ", -- Text to display when forward set

25, -- Volume of sounds when throttle toggled

315, -- Position of sounds when throttle toggled

"ThrottleManagerF", -- Sound to play when forward selected

"ThrottleManagerR", -- Sound to play when reverse selected

"", -- Sound to play when no reverse on aircraft or failed

0x32F8, -- Reverser failed offset

16, -- Reverser failed mask

false, -- Starting state (true = reverse)

}

John

I have one more question. I use the CH Throttle Quadrant with the Throttle Clips so it basically takes 2 throttle levers and makes it one lever, I have my last two levers as my buttons to make it trigger the reverse. So I have throttle 1 and 2 set up with your method. I want to set this up for the PMDG 747X using the same method but to work with all 4 engines.

I have 2 questions on this one.

1- Is there a way I can leave my clips on there and map say throttle 1 to control throttle 1 and 2? and throttle 2 to control 3 and 4?

2- If I can do the above, when I select the button portion to toggle to reverse can the parameters be 1 and 2 or am I allowed just one engine in that setting?

If I cant do the above then I can just add engine 3 and 4 to my levers and take off the clips but how do I add this to your txt file? Do I just tkae the below and take out #1 and put #3 and so on?

{

{

0x310A, -- Throttle disconnect offset

0x40, -- Throttle disconnect mask

0x3330, -- Throttle axis offset

0x333A, -- Throttle limit offset

-16384, -- Throttle limit override (J41 reads -4096, but it's really -16384), 0 to disable

65820, -- 0x088C -- Throttle set offset or control (J41 needs control)

1, -- Throttle toggle flag

1, -- Throttle forward ratio

1, -- Throttle reverse ratio

-64, -- Throttle toggle to forward on reverse greater than, 0 to disable

0, -- Duration of display when throttle toggled, 0 to disable

"#1 Forward Thrust", -- Text to display when forward selected, "" to disable

"#1 Reverse Thrust", -- Text to display when reverse selected

"#1 No Reverse Thrust", -- Text to display when no reverse on aircraft

0, -- Duration of display when throttle updated

"#1 Forward Thrust: ", -- Text to display when reverse set

"#1 Reverse Thrust: ", -- Text to display when forward set

25, -- Volume of sounds when throttle toggled

315, -- Position of sounds when throttle toggled

"ThrottleManagerF", -- Sound to play when forward selected

"ThrottleManagerR", -- Sound to play when reverse selected

"", -- Sound to play when no reverse on aircraft or failed

0x32F8, -- Reverser failed offset

16, -- Reverser failed mask

false, -- Starting state (true = reverse)

}

The clips tie together physical throttle 1 and 2, but it's still 2 axes correct? if so then yes. Each axes is assigned to a throttle 1, 2, 3, 4 (although 1,2 and 3,4 move together because of the clip) so you still assign 4 axes as per the instructions. You just need to copy the engine sections, and change a few parameters so they affect engine 3 and 4. I'll attach an updated ThrottleManager that has sections for engines 3,4 as well.

I'm not sure why you would want 1 axes to control 2 throttles, when you have two axes for it (just physically tied). You can select a second throttle in the FSUIPC Axis tab. However, to the toggle to reverse both throttles with 1 button is tricky and cannot be done in the GUI. You would have to edit FSUIPC.ini and copy the specific button line (duplicate) and change param 1 to 2 (which would cause the button click to affect 2 throttles).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just wanted to mention my 'Thanks' as well. This was actually the first Lua plug-in I have used. FWIW, I got your 1.1.3 version up and running on the NGX.

x2

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much for this. Freakin Amazing!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Hello folks,

Just found this lua and want to use with my X52Pro.

I went through instructions for additions to .ini, etc. I went into FSUIPC and set up axis for Throttles 1 & 2, Same in Joystick Calibration.....however,

when I went to the section "Buttons & Switches" everything was "grayed out" and would not let me put the parameters in. Any idea on this?

Thanks so much,

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

thanks pilotjohn, it works great! but since i don't have end switches on my logitech throttles, i want to enter the reverse mode bij assigning "Lua Toggle Throttlemanger param 1" to the last part of the thr axis range. unfortunatly fsuipc won't do that. so i wrote a small lua to start the Throttlemanager.lua : ipc.runlua("ThrottleManager.lua", 1) but i can't seem to find a way to start the lua in toggle mode? does anyone know how to do that?

thanks pilotjohn, it works great! but since i don't have end switches on my logitech throttles, i want to enter the reverse mode bij assigning "Lua Toggle Throttlemanger param 1" to the last part of the thr axis range. unfortunatly fsuipc won't do that. so i wrote a small lua to start the Throttlemanager.lua : ipc.runlua("ThrottleManager.lua", 1) but i can't seem to find a way to start the lua in toggle mode? does anyone know how to do that?

Hmm... You can't really "run" ThrottleManager since it's running as an event listener all the time. It really would need to be completely modified.

I can't think of quick way of doing it, since that concept is already used for the "auto" toggle to forward, so it would need to be a high/low water mark logic.

If you're willing to give up part of the throttle range for reverse why not just make that real reverse?

If you're willing to give up part of the throttle range for reverse why not just make that real reverse?

thanks for the reply, i think you're reverse function works far beter then the fsuipc (part of range way).

still hoping someone knows a way to use ipc.runlua in a toggle state.

thanks for the reply, i think you're reverse function works far beter then the fsuipc (part of range way).

still hoping someone knows a way to use ipc.runlua in a toggle state.

You may be able to run a Lua to toggle the flag (that's what toggle does) using ipc.toggleflag. I don't remember if flag are local to Luas, I think they are, so you may have to add some code to the manager that check the PARAM given in runlua and then just toggles that flag.

i found i my self!

ipc.macro("Luatoggle ThrottleManager", 1)

ipc.macro("Luatoggle ThrottleManager", 2)

ipc.macro("Luatoggle ThrottleManager", 3)

ipc.macro("Luatoggle ThrottleManager", 4)

puts all four engines in reverse mode, the four lines in a lua can be started with an a part off the axis range in fsuipc!

i found i my self!

ipc.macro("Luatoggle ThrottleManager", 1)

ipc.macro("Luatoggle ThrottleManager", 2)

ipc.macro("Luatoggle ThrottleManager", 3)

ipc.macro("Luatoggle ThrottleManager", 4)

puts all four engines in reverse mode, the four lines in a lua can be started with an a part off the axis range in fsuipc!

Sweet!

I'll post an update... some of the Saitek throttles are noisy, and would trigger reverse prematurely when pulled to idle quickly. I made an update that allows the reverse to be triggered after a delay. This may help you as well in case you move into the reverse range accidentally.

This update adds a delay to reverse toggle to avoid accidental triggering. The trigger button has to be pushed (in-range) for 1 second by default (configurable) in order for the toggle to occur.

WARNING: This version requires the Lua socket libraries (used for timing): http://luaforge.net/...ects/luasocket/ and now requires both press and release triggers.

ThrottleManager.txt

• 3 weeks later...

Hi pilotjohn,

First, thanks for taking the time to post this awesome tool. However I was having trouble getting it working and was hoping you might be able to help.

OK, first thing I did was put ThrottleManager.lua into the FSX\modules folder along with the associated wave files. After starting FSX and closing it, FSUIPC.ini updated itself with:

[LuaFiles]

1=ThrottleManager

Then I went back into FSX and FSUIPC to configure the throttles. All my CH throttle quadrant's axes are ignored in FSX Control settings and set only in FSUIPC. I have each throttle assigned to Throttle1 through Throttle3 and calibrated with no reverse. I assigned each button at the bottom of each throttle axis to LuaToggle ThrottleManager with parameter 1 through 3 (using this for PMDG MD-11.) However when I move the throttles to the bottom and trigger the button the axis is not toggled to the reversers. The buttons themselves work fine with other things I have tried like assigning them to "Throttle1 Decr Fast" etc so the hardware is working fine.

Thanks very much in advance for any pointers!

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any way of making this compatible with the Throttles Toggle / On / Off commands within FSUIPC?

I need to use turn the throttles off, as when throttles are configured via FSUIPC, they will always override the autothrottle on the PMDG 737 NGX.

But when Throttle Manager is running, the Throttle Toggle command within FSUIPC doesn't work - the throttles are always active.

Regards,

Phil

I need to use turn the throttles off, as when throttles are configured via FSUIPC, they will always override the autothrottle on the PMDG 737 NGX.

They must be jittering badly then, because FSUIPC, like FS, only forwards throttle controls when the value changes sufficiently. You could try increasing the Delta in the Axis assignments tab if the jitter is the problem.

But when Throttle Manager is running, the Throttle Toggle command within FSUIPC doesn't work - the throttles are always active.

The Throttle Manager lua code appears to use offset 310A to disconnect and reconnect throttles, which is exactly what the FSUIPC added controls do. So, yes, it will override those controls. But I would assume it disconnects them for good reasons, maybe the same as yours. However, I haven't examined the whole program, so I'll have to defer to its author to advise you.

It should be noted that many NGX users manage okay without using the Throttles off or toggle controls. Those are really a last resort.

Regards

Pete

Is there any way of making this compatible with the Throttles Toggle / On / Off commands within FSUIPC?

Regards,

Phil

There isn't. I disconnect throttles and resend based on the "state" (forward/reverse).

• 5 months later...

For anyone following/using this ThrottleManger object thread and the new PMDG 777, I found that if this Lua object was ANYWHERE in my fsuipc.ini file, it was causing a conflict with my PMDG 777 throttles (always snapping-back to idle after slightest movement of the physical levers).  I had used this Lua module with all my FSX aircraft profiles, including the PMDG NGX.  You can read my revelation posted over on the AVSIM PMDG 777 support forum here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/420572-my-t7-fsuipc-throttle-fix-not-what-i-expected/#entry2793365

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone following/using this ThrottleManger object thread and the new PMDG 777, I found that if this Lua object was ANYWHERE in my fsuipc.ini file, it was causing a conflict with my PMDG 777 throttles

There's some misinformation here. The INI file LISTs all Lua file found in the Modules folder, but that listing only provides the references for Assignments. The only places in the INI file which can be responsible for automatically running a Lua plug-in are the [Auto] sections.

Pete

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure why you would want 1 axes to control 2 throttles, when you have two axes for it (just physically tied). You can select a second throttle in the FSUIPC Axis tab. However, to the toggle to reverse both throttles with 1 button is tricky and cannot be done in the GUI. You would have to edit FSUIPC.ini and copy the specific button line (duplicate) and change param 1 to 2 (which would cause the button click to affect 2 throttles).

Hi pilotjohn, thanks for your very useful work.

I'm interested to have 1 axis to control 2 throttles (motors), because I'm using the others two for spoilers and flaps, but really I don't  understand how to use your sentence (see quote).

Please, could you write me an example.

An other question: how to reduce de sound level of your .wav files?

Thank you very much :) :) , Claudio