The simFlight Network Forums

Throttle Manager to Allow Axis Forward/Reverse Toggle

pilotjohn

Hi all,

how can I have an answer?

Pete, could you do it?

Thanks a lot, Claudio

Why not simply assign the one axis to both?  In FSUIPC you can assign one axis to up to 4 things.

To reduce sound wave amplitudes you have to edit the sound waves to reduce the amplitude. There are plenty of easy to use sound editors about.

Pete

Hi Pete,

thanks for your answer.

I know what you say about multiple assign, but I try to use the ThrottleManager.lua written by pilotjohn.

The ThrottleManager require to set a parameter (1 or 2) referred to the throttle 1 or 2 when the axis is assigned to the relative throttle.

ThrottleManager manages a button, located at the end of the lever throttle SAITEK to assign to this the "reverse" function.

I don't know  what I have to do if I use the multiple assign.

Please refer to this quote:

pilotjohn, on 17 Jan 2012 - 2:28 PM, said:snapback.png

I'm not sure why you would want 1 axes to control 2 throttles, when you have two axes for it (just physically tied). You can select a second throttle in the FSUIPC Axis tab. However, to the toggle to reverse both throttles with 1 button is tricky and cannot be done in the GUI. You would have to edit FSUIPC.ini and copy the specific button line (duplicate) and change param 1 to 2 (which would cause the button click to affect 2 throttles).

Example: I've assigned

axis Z to Throttle 1

axis U to Throttle 2

button #20 to "LuaToggle ThrottleManager" with parameter 1

button #21 to "LuaToggle ThrottleManager" with parameter 2

Note: button 20 is linked to Z axis and button 21 is linked to U axis

In Fsuipc4.ini I found:

16=PA,20,CL1:T,1
                                            17=PA,21,CL1:T,2

All is OK and works fine :razz:

Now, if I would use one only axis to assign Throttle 1 and 2 (axis Z),  what about button #20 ?

i.e : 16=PA,20,CL....:T,..... :?: :cry:

Thanks and best regards, Claudio

Note: button 20 is linked to Z axis and button 21 is linked to U axis

In Fsuipc4.ini I found:

17=PA,21,CL1:T,2

All is OK and works fine :razz:

Now, if I would use one only axis to assign Throttle 1 and 2 (axis Z),  what about button #20 ?

Just change the lines to both refer to the same button, so that the button does both things. i.e.

17=PA,20,CL1:T,2

if you want button 20 to operate both. If this doesn't work then it will need action by the Lua plug-in writer I'm afraid.

Pete

• 1 year later...

Is there any chance the latest FSUIPC 4.939k update broke something in this LUA Throttle Manager utility, or how it interacts with the throttle axis assignments?  This ThrottleManager.lua has been working fine for years, until very recently.  Now, all my axis work normally except any throttle axis assigments on any FSX aircraft, including the default.  The throttle axis raw values are still changing in the FSUIPC Axis Assigments GUI.

Now, I just discovered that if I disable (comment-out) the "1=Lua ThrottleManger" entry in the Auto section of the my FSUIPC.ini file, all throttle axis work normally again.  I wonder if the following 'change note' from the FSUIPC update PDF, might have had something to do with this new issue.

"-- Fixed a long-standing problem with some older FS98 style control assignments."

Thanks for any help.

Is there any chance the latest FSUIPC 4.939k update broke something in this LUA Throttle Manager utility, or how it interacts with the throttle axis assignments?  This ThrottleManager.lua has been working fine for years, until very recently.  Now, all my axis work normally except any throttle axis assigments on any FSX aircraft, including the default.  The throttle axis raw values are still changing in the FSUIPC Axis Assigments GUI.

Now, I just discovered that if I disable (comment-out) the "1=Lua ThrottleManger" entry in the Auto section of the my FSUIPC.ini file, all throttle axis work normally again.  I wonder if the following 'change note' from the FSUIPC update PDF, might have had something to do with this new issue.

"-- Fixed a long-standing problem with some older FS98 style control assignments."

Please refer to the actual Changes document, not the brief summary in the download links subforum. The changes document is always included in the updates. Item 32 provides the description of exactly what that fix entailed.

You'd then see that this change was to correct an error where the older FS98-style Aileron, Elevator and Rudder controls could bypass the calibration facilities. The change had nothing at all to do with Throttles.

In fact, there has been no change in any recent updates which could account for anything different in the way throttles might be handled.  Maybe you need to debug the plug-in you are using, or possibly to ask the author to advise?

Pete

Pete,

I've discovered that if I roll-back FSUIPC to version 4.939g without modifying my FSUIPC.ini file, this Lua ThrottleManager (v1.1.3) works as it always had.  When I re-install FSUIPC version 4.939j_updated, all throttle axis become inoperable as long as this ThrottleManager script is listed in the ini AUTO section.  What could have changed between these two versions of FSUIPC that broke this Lua script starting with version 4.939j_updated?

ThrottleManager version 1.1.3 can be found on page two of this thread here:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/69388-throttle-manager-to-allow-axis-forwardreverse-toggle/page-2#entry436660

Thanks,

I've discovered that if I roll-back FSUIPC to version 4.939g without modifying my FSUIPC.ini file, this Lua ThrottleManager (v1.1.3) works as it always had.  When I re-install FSUIPC version 4.939j_updated, all throttle axis become inoperable as long as this ThrottleManager script is listed in the ini AUTO section.  What could have changed between these two versions of FSUIPC that broke this Lua script starting with version 4.939j_updated?

ThrottleManager version 1.1.3 can be found on page two of this thread here:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/69388-throttle-manager-to-allow-axis-forwardreverse-toggle/page-2#entry436660

Certainly the change you mention (for the FS98-style Aileron, Elevator and Rudder controls incorrectly bypassing calibration) occurred between the G and J versions, so I'm wondering if this Lua was taking advantage of a bug in FSUIPC.

It looks like it is sending the ThrottleN_ set controls to FS, after reading values from the 3330-3336 offsets. Thse are post-calibration axis value offsets. But it is inhibiting throttle controls, so it is sending the controls which are inhibited! This should never have worked if it were not for the bug in FSUIPC.

So, if, as it looks, the reason for the new problem is that the plug-in was depending on what turned out to be a bug in FSUIPC, then an alternative way of doing the same thing would have to be found. I think that might already be allowed for in the script. See lines 51, 78, 105 and 132. They are:

65820, -- 0x088C                    -- Throttle set offset or control (J41 needs control)

65821, -- 0x0924,                   -- Throttle set offset or control (J41 needs control)
    65822, -- 0x09BC,                   -- Throttle set offset or control (J41 needs control)
    65823, -- 0x0A54,                   -- Throttle set offset or control (J41 needs control)

If those entries were switched around, thus:

0x088C,                    -- Throttle set offset 

0x0924,                    -- Throttle set offset 

0x09BC,                    -- Throttle set offset 

0x0A54,                    -- Throttle set offset 

then it should, theoretically, work -- but the comment "J41 needs control" is worrying.  We would need to know why that is so and find an alternative.

To summarise, if I've understood correctly, the axis is explicitly disconnected via offset 310A, So it follows that sending the axis control which is disconnected shouldn't work. It would need to temporarily reconnect it.

I see the disconnects but no reconnects.

Perhaps you could email the author and ask? I'd be happy to work with him to find a solution assuming this J41 (JetStream?) needs something different. In the worst case we'd need some alternative controls which would bypass the axis disconnect and get re-translated before reaching FS. Ugh.

Pete

Further thoughts on this.

If i understand the plug-in correctly, I am puzzled over how it ever worked by sending those controls. It appears to depend on seeing the changes in the calibrated throttle values in 3330-3336. The correct use of those is to allow manipulation of the values, as it is presumably doing, before then sending directly to FS via the throttle offsets (as would happen by the changes I suggested above).

But is it sent the manipulated values using the Axis controls, by definition those should have been intercepted, inhibited from sending to FS, fed through the calibration, and end up with another (possibly changed) value in the 3330-3336 offset. I In other words, a loop with nothing ever getting to FS.

So, I think my conclusion is that, unfortunately, and maybe by experiment, the plug-in was programmed to use an oversight, a bug in FSUIPC, where the old FS98 style throttle controls were not accorded their correct treatment according to the documentation.

One thing might save this. Do you have the "exclude ThrottleN set" option selected (checked) on the 4 throttles calibration page? If not, check it and retest. If that doesn't work, then maybe (just  maybe -- I'd need to think through the ramiifications) I can fix it so that ignores the throttle disconnect (it should already bypass calibration, as that is what it is for).

[LATER]

I've now had a chance to go through the code changes I made which are referred to by that entry in the Changes document, and they most certainly would ONLY affect the Aileron, Elevator and Rudder Set controls, not the Throttles, which were always treated the same in the section of code which was changed. So it wasn't that change. It must be something else.

The mystery does get deeper. I definitely think we need help from the author of the plug-in too.

Pete

Hi Pete,

My, you're up awfully late today...  My 'exclude ThrottleN set' checkboxes for throttle, were already checked.  Continued testing with v4.939j, unchecking it does not appear to have any affect.

I have sent a personal e-mail to 'PilotJohn' asking if he can contribute to this discussion.  His e-mail address was found at the top of the ThrottleManager script.

Hi Pete,

My, you're up awfully late today...  My 'exclude ThrottleN set' checkboxes for throttle, were already checked.  Continued testing with v4.939j, unchecking it does not appear to have any affect.

I have sent a personal e-mail to 'PilotJohn' asking if he can contribute to this discussion.  His e-mail address was found at the top of the ThrottleManager script.

Okay. I  added a [LATER] note to my previous message above, which is also relevant and which you may not have seen.

It's a puzzle for sure. As far as I can see it should never have worked like that. Did you try with the changes I suggested (not with the J41 by the look of it -- again we'd need to know why)?

Off to bed now. I'm afraid i'll be pretty well tied up over the weekend, so I may not be able to progress this properly before Monday.

Pete

My 'exclude ThrottleN set' checkboxes for throttle, were already checked.  Continued testing with v4.939j, unchecking it does not appear to have any affect.

Could you try 4.939g with that option unchecked? If it then behaves like 4.939j then I think using that check box (again) may be the answer.

No rush. I won't be able to get to it till late Sunday or more likely Monday.

Pete

Good morning, Pete.

You were correct, using v4.939g when I uncheck the 'exclude ThrottleN set' checkbox in the Throttle axis calibration page, the throttles become unresponsive, just like v4.939j and later.  without restarting the FSX session, I can immediately re-check the same option and the throttles work again.

In case in matters, you should be aware that I only use FSUIPC for button/key/axis assignments (send to FS as normal axis) and I do not use any of the FSUIPC calibration facilities, which seems to work best with my PMDG aircraft.

FYI, I will only have access to my Flightsim-rig for a few more days (probably Wednesday) before tearing everything down to begin the process of moving my home to Florida - I don't anticipate having it running again until late May.  I only mention this because there's no hurry for a permanent solution on my part, and I won't be able to assist in further troubleshooting during this time.

You were correct, using v4.939g when I uncheck the 'exclude ThrottleN set' checkbox in the Throttle axis calibration page, the throttles become unresponsive, just like v4.939j and later.  without restarting the FSX session, I can immediately re-check the same option and the throttles work again.

Aha! Thanks! That certainly helps as it will point me to the part which it seems I must have changed.

I only mention this because there's no hurry for a permanent solution on my part, and I won't be able to assist in further troubleshooting during this time.

Okay, no problem. it will be fixed in the next update, after Monday, maybe even on monday. I'll let you know in case you are still operational.

Pete

Okay, no problem. it will be fixed in the next update, after Monday, maybe even on monday. I'll let you know in case you are still operational.

I found the reason for the problem with that plug-in. Really it was taking advantage of an oversight (=bug) in FSUIPC, which I fixed a couple of updates ago. Because no one had actually noticed this bug, and in fact the correct behaviour can still be achieved by changing the "Exclude" option, I've relented and changed the behaviour back to the way it was.

So now, with FSUIPC version 4.939m,  that plug-in should work as it did.

Pete

• 6 months later...

Can you help me with that? I only have a single thrust lever, so I can't assign each engine to a different thrust lever axis. When I follow the instruction for Engine #1, everything works perfect. But I want it to work for all engines. How do I do that? I already tried using "Map to 4 throttles" but that doesn't work.

• 4 weeks later...

Can you help me with that? I only have a single thrust lever, so I can't assign each engine to a different thrust lever axis. When I follow the instruction for Engine #1, everything works perfect. But I want it to work for all engines. How do I do that? I already tried using "Map to 4 throttles" but that doesn't work.

sorry for bad news. No, you can't. You need per engine one physical/logical input device for this reverser. Four engines -> four thrust levers.

I tried evering code changes inside this Lua script, but nothing worked for FSUIPC with merged thrust Levers activiated, no chance.

Your chance will be installling virtual devices like vJoy (Freeware) with a feeder software between your Joystick and vJoy for FSUIPC/Lua Script Throttle Manager.

Enaugh physical thrust levers, or virtual devices, and Throttle Manger will work like a charm.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Any chance that someone could refer me to a tutorial for the less tech savvy people among us on how to make this wonderful contribution work ?

I tried to do what's written in the first post, though I didn't quite understand what Throttle N is (does N suppose to represent a variable of the engine number I aim to configure ?)

I have a warthog throttle quadrant and I would very much appreciate it if someone could just instruct me on how to configure this script to work with it.

Thanks in advance.

I didn't quite understand what Throttle N is (does N suppose to represent a variable of the engine number I aim to configure ?)

Yes, Engine 1, 2 3 or 4, whichever throttle(s) you are trying to do this for. It's just shorthasnd to say saying "1, 2, 3, or 4 as appropriate" every time!

I have a warthog throttle quadrant and I would very much appreciate it if someone could just instruct me on how to configure this script to work with it.

The explanation is pretty straightforward. I couldn't do any better than PilotJohn I'm afraid.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

edit: please read propeller also equal jet plane 

@guit33,

sorry for delay

if memory serves me right, this lua script will work  up to 2 propeller aircrafts out of the box.(Joystick with one or two throttle  axes).

When using a 3- or 4 propeller aircraft and your Joystick have less axes for throttle input -> then your are in trouble  

All power lever will work in normal power condititions.  Push reverser on, lever 1 and 2 doing the job as expected.

While axes inpu:t lever 3 is jumping around the corner, lever 4 is stuttering, reverser engine for 3 and 4 may work - or not - who knows.

I rewrote this script from scratch, but got it not working. So I decided using virtual joysticks including a feeder adapted to my real joystick 

Try this, in my eyes very fine, Lua- Script with a 4 propeller aircraft, controlled by a single/dual axes throttle joystick, and you will see what I mean.

Ahoj

-Uwe

Edited by Huepper

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I've been using this plugin for quite a time, but since I updated FSUIPC to version FSUIPC4 4.957 it doesn't work anymore.

I am running P3D V3.4, using the plugin on the PMDG 737NG with the Saitek throttles. I still hear the chime sound when moving the throttle to the button that used to activate the reverse axis, but it doesn't work anymore.

I have noticed that now there are no more stadard axis in the Axis page, there's a <Custom control>. There is a PDF file in the documentation that lists all functions and I think it's easier/faster this way but the plugin is probably still looking for the old "axis throttle 1 set" name.

Can this Lua plugin be updated to work with this new naming structure? How could I do it?

Regards,

Fabrizio