The simFlight Network Forums

Suggestion for simple new feature

baw19

Hi Sascha, hi Volker

Like a lot of VATSIM pilots I'm pressed for time so I tend to mainly fly short trips - usually flights that last less than an hour including all the flight planning and start-up.shut down routines. For this reason I have a rule of thumb - where possible we only fly routes of about 150nm or less. Because the length of a degree changes with latitude I tend to use the ruler to get distances, but it only needs a handful of airports to be online before measuring the distance from each airport to each other airport factors up! It would be a lot easier and a lot more convenient if I could click somewhere on the map then click a button in FSC to drop a range ring around where I clicked. I could then simply click a staffed airport, click the range ring button and immediately see which other VATSIM controllers are inside that ring. It'd be handy for off-line flying too!

Obviously it would need somewhere to type in and save a range but I hope you'll see how handy it'd be - especially when planning multi-segment routes (like for example World Flight).

Hope you can give it some thought for the next release.

All the best

Ian

Hi Sascha - you've hit the nail on the head. The fact that a range ring becomes a distorted circle at different latitudes is exactly why it's impossible to judge distances by eye. And if there are (for example) 10 controllers online I'd have to measure something like 50 times to get the distances between each one. I just want to fly!

A range 'ring' would give us all that info at a glance and would be so easy to code, please consider it?

Thanks!

Ian