The simFlight Network Forums

Aircraft Profiles

Hi All

Finally finished setting up my X52 joystick/throttle, responses are way better when setup in FSUIPC, what have I been missing for so long :razz:

Anyway, I setup buttons, rotary, axis without assigning them to a profile. So every setting applies for every plane :???:

Is there an easy way where I can go back and assign buttons to different planes?

For example can I assign button 'a' to 737, button 'b' 'c172' etc. and the buttons that are not assigned to a profile will still apply to all aircraft

Or, do I have to start all over again :cry:

regards

Clive

Is there an easy way where I can go back and assign buttons to different planes?

Just load each plane in turn, for which you want different buttons, go to the Buttons tab, select Profile specific, and name the profile (or select one which is applicable to this plane), then assign the specific buttons.

This process won't change the other sections which you aren't changing (i.e. axes, calibrations, keypresses), and the buttons you don't re-assign will still operate as per the general default settings you set already.

For example can I assign button 'a' to 737, button 'b' 'c172' etc. and the buttons that are not assigned to a profile will still apply to all aircraft

Yes.

You might want to wait till later today, though, and grab the next update for FSUIPC -- 3.999d or 4.803 -- because i just found a bug which can produce spurious sections in the INI file and may lead to misleading results. I'll be uploading these updates within the next few hours, so please check the Download Links subforum later today.

Regards

Pete

Aaaarh.....Installed new update and now have no controls at all. FSUIPC has not kept my assignments :cry:

Oh well, it was good practice. Right Off to start again.

Pete, will this happen on every update; or have I forgotten to do something :oops:

Clive

Update: Its kept button assignments but not axis ones. Not that bad , phew!!

Aaaarh.....Installed new update and now have no controls at all. FSUIPC has not kept my assignments :cry:

There's no way it can do that. Did you delete the INI file? You never have to do that!

Update: Its kept button assignments but not axis ones. Not that bad , phew!!

It shouldn't delete anything at all unless it's invalid in any case. Perhaps your Axis section was corrupted? It deletes any bad sections, that's all, ones with bad headers (the bit inside the [ ] parentheses).

[LATER]

On my ***! So it does! What the ** happened there? Sorry. I'm on to it now. Meanwhile removed the updates!

Pete

Ok; now I'm totaly confused;

Just re assigned my axis, rotaries and buttons attached to no profile.

tests OK in Cockpit.

So I go back into FSUIPC and select one of the assigned buttons and then ticked the box profile specific. As there was no profile it asked either, new, from other or cancel.

I selected new and in the box typed C337 (carando). As thats the plane I'm in. Tested that button OK

Pete: you've posted while I am typing. No did not touch anything

Posting this so you can read it

will continue

Pete,

Nope, now have another issue, as soon as you assign anything to a profile, now what happens it losses axes, this time except for throttle.

Then it will not allow you to realign axes, elevator etc. The boxes are greyed out.

I've attached the joystick part of the ini file, if this is of any help.

I will delete the profile part from the file and start again.

Every thing seemed to be OK, until you try and set buttons to profiles

[JoystickCalibration]

AllowSuppressForPFCquad=Yes

ExcludeThrottleSet=Yes

ExcludeMixtureSet=Yes

ExcludePropPitchSet=Yes

SepRevsJetsOnly=No

ApplyHeloTrim=No

UseAxisControlsForNRZ=No

FlapsSetControl=0

FlapDetents=No

ReverserControl=66292

Reverser1Control=66422

Reverser2Control=66425

Reverser3Control=66428

Reverser4Control=66431

MaxThrottleForReverser=256

AileronTrimControl=66731

RudderTrimControl=66732

CowlFlaps1Control=66162

CowlFlaps2Control=66163

CowlFlaps3Control=66164

CowlFlaps4Control=66165

SteeringTillerControl=0

MaxSteerSpeed=60

Throttle=-16380,16380

Flaps=0,16380

Mixture=-16380,16380/16

[Profile.C337]

1=C337 Skymaster RED

[Axes]

0=0X,256,D,2,0,0,0

[Axes.C337]

0=0X,256,D,1,0,0,0

1=0Y,256,D,2,0,0,0

2=0Z,256,D,4,0,0,0

3=0U,256,D,5,0,0,0

4=0S,256,D,6,0,0,0

Thanks

Clive

I know, I couldn't let it go.

So I deleted everything in the ini file that referred to joystick/buttons.

Rebooted

This is now what I have

[JoyNames]

AutoAssignLetters=No

0=Saitek X52 Flight Controller

0.GUID={E0184170-C2B5-11E0-8002-444553540000}

[buttons]

ButtonRepeat=20,10

1=R0,3,K35,8

2=R0,2,K36,8

3=P0,8,K190,10

4=R0,14,K190,8

5=P0,6,K66,8

[Axes]

0=0X,256,D,1,0,0,0

1=0Y,256,D,2,0,0,0

2=0U,256,D,5,0,0,0

3=0V,256,D,3,0,0,0

4=0S,256,D,6,0,0,0

Everthing works as before this started, ie buttons and axis assigned and ALL working, BUT no profile created.

Also there is no [JoystickCalibration] section in this ini file? See post above.

I also noticed that if you move the joystick to a different USB and reboot etc, then FSUIPC did not find the joystick until I deleted the [joynames] section.

rebooted etc and we are now back to square one but no profiles created.

Anyway, not going to do anymore tonight, will try and create profiles in the morning

Nope, now have another issue, as soon as you assign anything to a profile, now what happens it losses axes, this time except for throttle.

Then it will not allow you to realign axes, elevator etc. The boxes are greyed out.

That's weird. I haven't got that to go wrong here. but I'll try with your settings .

Also there is no [JoystickCalibration] section in this ini file?

You don't get a section created until there's a reason -- i.e. in this case, after you actually calibrate one of the axes.

I also noticed that if you move the joystick to a different USB and reboot etc, then FSUIPC did not find the joystick until I deleted the [joynames] section.

If you move to a different USB socket then the joystick ID number will change, so all the assignments made before won't apply. If you want the flexibility of being able to move things around you need to use Joy Letters instead of the numbers. Then FSUIPC can keep track.

If only I can get the profiles to work

I'm trying to figure out what you are seeing, but it is getting late here and I'm not sure I can do it so soon. It might need to wait till tomorrow now and I'm out in the morning.

Regards

Pete

I've tried all sorts of ways to make this happen, and I can't. no matter what I do, everything works as it should. Could you do this for me, please:

First make a copy of your INI file so far, in case you do manage to mess it up.

Then reproduce the problem you describe above, but write down every little step you take to do it. I will need to do it in exactly the same way here.

Let me know, please.

BTW, I have found out what you mean about reconnecting to a different USB socket. I'm working on that now. That can't be a new problem.

[LATER]

Okay, that latter problem, it's a Windows thing. I couldn't get FSUIPC to see the device at all after moving it to a different USB port. Deleting that section in the INI doesn't help. That's irrelevant i think. Only closing FSX and reloading it will get it back OR simply reconnecting it on the original USB socket.

The DirectInput routine reports an "access denied" error. I think moving the device gets it into a confused state, only resolving when that process (FSX in this case) is closed and restarted.

This is actually a lot more than FSX can do -- FSX only ever scans devices when it initialises. If you connect one later it won't see it, unlike FSUIPC, and if you unplug one, that's it. It loses it until you restart. I think FSUIPC's treatment is far superior! ;-)

I just need the step-by-step account of your Profile problem, now. As I said, I've tried all sorts of things and cannot break it, so far.

Regards

Pete

Morning Pete

What a night!

Here we go.

1. Back up ini file...done

2. Joystick plugged into same USB.....Checked

3. Stared FSX

4. Carried out cockpit checks on All axes and button assignments from last night. All work OK

6. OPen up FSUIPC

7. Selected button and switches tab

8. Pressed already assigned button

9. clicked in profile specific white box

10. selected new from dropdown

11. Typed in C337 in box

12. Clicked OK

13. Profile specfic? now has tick in box

14. Clicked OK

15. Back in cockpit..rechecked ALL axes and buttons. All still work OK

Carried out 6-15 for another button. No problems

a. Opened Up FSUIPC

b. Clicked axsis assignment tab

c. Moved axsis (Ailerons)

Profile specific? box greyed out and already tick in white box again greyed out. Will not allow you to 'untick it'

d. Clicked cancel

rechecked assignments, now only have throttle working. Also noticed that FSX was in pause mode this time.

Heres the ini part

[JoyNames]

AutoAssignLetters=No

0=Saitek X52 Flight Controller

0.GUID={E0184170-C2B5-11E0-8002-444553540000}

[buttons]

ButtonRepeat=20,10

1=R0,3,K35,8

2=R0,2,K36,8

3=P0,8,K190,10

4=R0,14,K190,8

5=P0,6,K66,8

6=P0,19,K117,8

7=P0,21,K118,8

8=P0,5,K71,8

9=R0,10,K78,8

10=R0,11,K77,8

11=P0,1,K90,8

[Axes]

0=0X,256,D,1,0,0,0

1=0Y,256,D,2,0,0,0

2=0Z,256,D,4,0,0,0

3=0U,256,D,5,0,0,0

4=0V,256,D,3,0,0,0

5=0S,256,D,6,0,0,0

[JoystickCalibration]

AllowSuppressForPFCquad=Yes

ExcludeThrottleSet=Yes

ExcludeMixtureSet=Yes

ExcludePropPitchSet=Yes

SepRevsJetsOnly=No

ApplyHeloTrim=No

UseAxisControlsForNRZ=No

FlapsSetControl=0

FlapDetents=No

ReverserControl=66292

Reverser1Control=66422

Reverser2Control=66425

Reverser3Control=66428

Reverser4Control=66431

MaxThrottleForReverser=256

AileronTrimControl=66731

RudderTrimControl=66732

CowlFlaps1Control=66162

CowlFlaps2Control=66163

CowlFlaps3Control=66164

CowlFlaps4Control=66165

SteeringTillerControl=0

MaxSteerSpeed=60

Mixture=-16380,16380/16

[Profile.C337]

1=C337 Skymaster RED

[Axes.C337]

0=0X,256,D,1,0,0,0

1=0Y,256,D,2,0,0,0

2=0Z,256,D,4,0,0,0

3=0U,256,D,5,0,0,0

4=0V,256,D,3,0,0,0

5=0S,256,D,6,0,0,0

It looks like it has automatically added ALL the axes to the profile and no buttons