The simFlight Network Forums

Question about vertical speed offset readings

I dont understand something with the values read from vertical speed offset $02C8

According to FSUIPC documentation for this offset:

Vertical speed, signed, as 256 * metres/sec. For the more usual ft/min you need to apply the conversion *60*3.28084/256

But I noticed that when aircraft start climb and vertical speed gauge needle is moving up, the values from $02C8 are circulating between positive and negative values and the changes are not linear (Even with the conversion as advised above!!)

This is also visible as my servo is jumping from side to side, instead of linear steady move.

But I noticed that when aircraft start climb and vertical speed gauge needle is moving up, the values from $02C8 are circulating between positive and negative values and the changes are not linear (Even with the conversion as advised above!!)

Sounds like you are reading it incorrectly then, maybe as 2 bytes (16bits) instead of 4 (32 bits)? Try using the facilities provided to see your error -- ie.g. ipc.read logging, or easier, just monitor the offset as type S32 using the right-hand side of the logging tab and selecting "Advdisplay" or "FS window" below. You'll see it changing in real time then.

Also a tool called FSInterrogate is provided in the SDK which will display values even more intelligently. There are lots of ways to check your work.

Regards

Pete