The simFlight Network Forums

Force user aircraft to aiport ICAO?

I moved your support query to the Support Forum -- you posted to the FAQ subforum by mistake.

I was wondering if there was any way to move the user aircraft to a given ICAO? I don't need the exact runway start, just the airport ref point would be good enough. Sort of like using the "go to airport" menu.

The "go to airport" menu is the best way. Why would you want another?

If you mean to move it by program, you'd need he Latitude and Longitude. For that you'd need a database of airports. You can generate one using my free MakeRunways utility -- see the Download Links subforum.

Regards

Pete

Thanks. I was looking for a shortcut that I could put in a Lua script.

What I am doing is tryng to automate some testing. I'm working on a project to create accurate timezones for FSX which involves creating a relatively large number of timezone rectangles that set the base time offset and the DST dates. The probem is that with the large number of resulting timezones doing a reasonable test. The only way I can find to know the local time offset that's being used in FSX is to manually look at the world -- time and season settings menu. I went through about 50 or so airports this way, first "go to airport" then reading out the local time.

So next I wrote a script that is writing to file the offset 0246 on an offset event and also by timer along with aircraft lat/lon, and then trying to write flightplans that take me over a reasonable test area and run at simrate 8x to capture data, then ploting it to see if it is "right". Still kind of slow.

I was thinking it might be an improvement instead of flying a flightplan to just jump from airport to airport and log the offset at each one. I can look at my plot and get a good selection of possible trouble airports (such as near time boundaries) and also some random selection. So my idea was to use a list of ICAOs as input and then move the user aircraft, read the offest, and repeat all under the script. I guess I can extract airport lat/lon/alt data from my plot but that's just a bit more work.

sorry for posting in wrong forum. I was looking for some info in the FAQ and didn't realize I wasn't back in support forum when I posted.

scott s.

Thanks. I was looking for a shortcut that I could put in a Lua script.

I don't know of any way of getting the correct position without referring to a database of some kind. I think the FS "go to airport" menu uses the data it builds up in its scenery scans. You'd need to do the same, whether you figure a way to access the FS files or use a database built by something like MakeRunways.

Lua does have good file access facilities built in, with extensions provided by the LFS library which is also there, with separate documentation. Just choose the appropriate MakeRunways-generated file for your purpose.

Regards

Pete