The simFlight Network Forums
berendt

Wrong speed display in FSC 9 flightplan

Hello to the experts …

My topic is "Wrong speed shown in the FSC9 map according to a valid flightplan"

First the informations which are necessary in order that this post is accepted:

1. FS 9 with upgrade to fs9.1

2. FSUIPC Vs. 3.999 downloaded March 23, 2012 from Pete Dowson's website

3. FS Commander FSC 91 downloaded as zip-file from the FS Commander WebSite together with its Database Manager in March 2012, hence

4. Download version from FS Commander Website

5. OS Windows 7 Home Premium

Now a description of the problem:

FS 9.1 and FSC are loaded and displayed.

An airplane is chosen in FS9 (in order not to get into trouble, I choose a stock airplane – f.i.

the B737-400) and in the airport window of FSC

In FSC as well as in FS9, an existing flightplan is loaded (f.i. Munich – Berlin). Everything behaves as expected; FS 9 asks if it should position the aircraft at departure

Now, in FSC the GPS Window is opened and FS9 is attached: As expected, the GPS Window opens and shows the first waypoint for the route

Now, in FS9 the plane is started and – once in the air – the gear is put up and the autopilot is switched on: Altitude, vertical speed and speed are chosen

AutoHdg in the GPS window of FSC is activated

Accordingly, the plane takes its course versus the first waypoint and proceeds climbing towards the altitude given by the autopilot. The plane speeds up and finally reaches the speed given by the autopilot.

The irritating observation:

While the display of FSC correctly shows the altitudes of the plane during the different phases of the flight, its speed (as to be observed in FS9) is shown wrong in FSC – it is continuously shown as much too high (f.i.: If the speed in FS9 is – as the autopilot forces – let's say 300 kts, FSC shows 425 kts instead). This wrong speed is displayed in the map as well as in the corresponding columns of the FSC flightplan, which leads to wrong results there too.

What did I do wrong ? Helpful answers will be appreciated very much. Thanks in advance,

Gerhard Berendt

Hi Gerhard,

I can confirm your observation described.

The displayed speed from 300kt IAS (indicated airspeed) on an aircraft at FL300 will displayed in the FSCommander as 450kt GS (ground speed).

These values ​​correspond to reality and are not a fault of the FSCommander. I hope I could answer your question satisfactorily.

Regards,

Volker

Hi Volker Heine,

thank you very much for the quick answer. I understand that I better rely on the data given by FSC rather than on the data displayed by FS9 in the main window as well as in the map window - is that correct ? This also means that the time given in FSC for the whole flight is really that for the whole flight in reality - if I understand you correctly.

Regards,

Gerhard Berendt.

Again thanks for the help -

G.B.

Hi Gerhard,

the flight simulator sends the data to the FSUIPC. The FSUIPC sends the data to the FSCommander.

The FSCommander therefore shows all the Flight simulator information in real time.

Regards,

Volker

Hello Gerard:

I have been living with this speed disparity between my FS9 indication and FSC9's and am wondering

whether you were ever able to reconcile the two.

As I understand now FSC9 receives from FSUIP and utilizes Ground Speed whereas FS9 uses INDICATED

AIR SPEED.

Not being very knowledgeable about this, is it possible and how to change either FSUIPC or FS9 so

that they would indicate GROUND SPEED and, as a result, coincide with FSC9 (hope I am making

myself clear...)

Appreciate any input on this which will be very favourable for my own utilization.

Regards,

Clarindo - Rio de Janeiro

Have found out that in FS9SETTINGS - REALISM I can change to Display true airspeed, which apparently solves my problem.

Regards,

Clarindo - Rio de Janeiro

Aircraft do not fly using "true airspeed" or "ground speed" however, so by setting your sim to use that, you will experience problems with many gauges.

Aircraft can and only ever will operate using their speed relative to the air around them - i.e. Indicated Air Speed (IAS). TAS and GS are much more useful for flight planning, but aircraft stall and overspeed according to IAS. As you have already noticed, at altitude, TAS/GS are much higher than IAS, therefore you can think you are flying perfectly safely, while in fact flying very slowly through the air and as a result, stall.

Just something to be aware of.

Best regards,

Ian P.