The simFlight Network Forums

Problems with Realty XP GNS 530 since upgrade to FSUIPC 4.8

Hello!

As the topic states, I have the problem that the Realtiy XP Garmin GNS 530 does´t work anymore since I updated FSUIPC to the latest version. When booting FSX, I got the error message that

cdp_annun_box_sim.dll

is missing. I tried reinstalling the RXP software, seeked for a solution in their forum, but it seems as if FSUIPC is causing the problem.

I found a thread in another forum that downgrading to an older FSUIPC version solved that issue.

Is that the only possible way to get rid of that error?

Unfortunately, I don´t have an older version on my hard disc anymore, so I can´t give it a try. So right now, renaming FSUIPC.dll and therefore "turning FSUIPC off" is the only way for me to use my RXP software.

That´s not a good compromise, since I use the registered version of FSUIPC with WideFS to run my flight planner and weather tool in a network on a different machine.

Thanks in advance for any help, it´s really appreciated!

Greets,

Michael

As the topic states, I have the problem that the Realtiy XP Garmin GNS 530 does´t work anymore since I updated FSUIPC to the latest version. When booting FSX, I got the error message that

cdp_annun_box_sim.dll

is missing. I tried reinstalling the RXP software, seeked for a solution in their forum, but it seems as if FSUIPC is causing the problem.

That product does not use FSUIPC and FSUIPC cannot stop another program finding a DLL, so I cannot see how that can be. Something else must be wrong, and rather than merely search for the answer why not report it to their support so that they can fix the problem?

Incidentally, this evidently is not new, but rare. See this other thread where it was pursued at length, but never any answer from the RealityXP folks:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/70195

There's no way I can solve it without either the product itself or any involvement of RealityXP.. Please resport it to them and get some sort of response -- a reason for this strange error.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete!

Thank you for your fast answer!

Maybe a solution (not the final though) could be, that you send me a link to an older version that might work.

I don´t know which one should´t interfere with RXP but I think at least a 4.7.x could be worth a try.

Can I run in some other problems regarding WideFS etc. when I downgrade?

Thanks again and greets,

Michael

Maybe a solution (not the final though) could be, that you send me a link to an older version that might work.

I don´t know which one should´t interfere with RXP but I think at least a 4.7.x could be worth a try.

As you'll see from that other thread, the only ever other report of this problem was with 4.7xx.

Please see what RealityXP says. Problems need to be fixed not by reverting to unsupported versions, but by working on a solution.

Regards

Pete

This problem remains unsolved, and RXP support is silent on it. It is somewhat uncommon, but not unique to my setup (obviously). If I want to run the 430 RealityXP, I need to copy in an old DLL version of FSUIPC.

Pete, I know you don't like to pull old versions out of the archives, but what might help is to be able to uninstall/install the minor updates one by one (starting at the last working 4.6x), until that error appears. That would at least narrow down what if any change in FSUIPC triggered this.

* Orest

Pete, I know you don't like to pull old versions out of the archives, but what might help is to be able to uninstall/install the minor updates one by one (starting at the last working 4.6x), until that error appears. That would at least narrow down what if any change in FSUIPC triggered this.

Sorry, I don't have archives of minor versions and even if I did it wouldn't tell me anything useful because the record of changes is cumulative. Thre resolution of changes is as per the History document which you can see for yourself.,

Honestly, I can only work with information, and only RealityXP can say what the error from their program actually means. It cannot actually mean what it says.

Regards

Pete

As I and a few others mentioned in the RXP forum months ago when the topic was first raised and I can repeat here again now, I still do not have a problem with that product even with the very latest interim build of FSUIPC as is available today (4812) in the downloads forum. I confirmed it by downloading and testing again just now.

Andy,

An odd comment, really, but I am surely glad you are not having a problem.

I have no doubt that If the problem was more widespread, a solution, or at least the cause or trigger, would be more likely to be found. Not a criticism, just a practical observation.

* Orest

FIXED!!!

The cdp_annun_box_sim.dll that "can't be found", is part of the Garmin trainer software, that RXP in turn encapsulates. No idea why, but with newer versions of FSUIPC (in my setup) the path to the Garmin trainer software, defined in the RXP.INI file for each aircraft is not correctly parsed, or ignored.

So, when RXPG1AE.EXE (the encapsulator) tries to find the trainer, but can't, you get the error message. The encapsulator is run, when the RXP gauge file loads.

If the gauge is installed in your default startup aircraft, FSX will hang, and not start. Otherwise it will just not load the app correctly in loading an aircraft with the gauge, but the aircraft will still starup. The 430W frame will pop up, but it will remain black, as if it could not power up.

The solution is dead simple. You just need to copy all of the trainer files into the same directory where RXPG1AE.EXE lives. It then finds all the dlls it needs, and it works.

Trainer files are installed into something like:

C:\Garmin\GNS400W\Trainer\*.*

RXPG1AE.exe is found here, in my setup ...

c:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Reality XP\RXPGnsSim\

Eureka - wow. How simple.

* Orest

It wasn't about me being glad about anything Orest, its about me letting Pete know that it wasn't a widespread issue, some information like this can be helpful when trying to track down bugs of this nature. As it turns out it looks like you have registry problems not FSUIPC problems, nice to here you finally worked out what was wrong.

I'm still not sure what is triggering this, and what role the two different versions of FSUIPC are playing.

This error has been triggered by other issues as well (totally unrelated to FSUIPC), from my google searches. It may be some sort of timing change during initial load, with different programs or different versions of programs running, who knows.

I am going to have a good look at the RXP registry entries, and see if cleaning all those out and reinstalling it might also fix this. Kind of hard to link swapping in a different version of a different program (FSUIPC in this instance) as somehow affecting this lookup. We will probably never know the mechanism. What is clear, is that this is not a single one-off issue, as a number of folks have been affected.

The good side, is that all my RXP stuff is back now, and that anyone else that is similarly affected, are also likely to be able to get their setup fixed up as well.

* Orest

The solution is dead simple. You just need to copy all of the trainer files into the same directory where RXPG1AE.EXE lives. It then finds all the dlls it needs, and it works.

Aha! This implies that the search path for DLLs used by the FSX process is being explicitly set by something in RealityXP's software. Windows searches for DLLs in a number of places, in order, and as follows:

1. The directory from which the application loaded.
  2. The directory specified by a call to "SetDllDirectory".
  3. The system directory. (Windows' "System32").
  4. The 16-bit system directory. (Windows' "System").
  5. The Windows directory.
  6. The directories that are listed in the PATH environment variable.

FSUIPC changes number 2 in order to let Lua plug-ins find any DLLs they need. Those DLLs go into the Modules\DLL folder in FSX. This change is listed in the FSUIPC History as follows:

DLLs which are used by Lua plug-ins can be placed in a sub-folder in the Modules folder called DLL. Previously they had to be placed in the main FS folder, or in windows or Windows System folders.

So, there are a number of possible soltions to this.

1. Move DLLs needed by RealityXP to its own folder, or

2. Move DLLs needed by RealityXP to the Modules\DLL folder (create this folder if necessary), or

3. Move DLLs needed by RealityXP to the Windows folder or to the Windows\System32 folder, or

4. Make the FSUIPC action in setting the DLL directory optional, or

5. Make FSUIPC add the path to the PATH environment variable instead of changing #2 in the list.

I'll experiment with option 5. Meanwhile you have a number of alternatives to try. Okay?

Regards

Pete

tick, tick, tick ...

YES, #2 works as well.

Erased all those moved files from the RXPGN1AE.exe (c:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Reality XP\RXPGnsSim\) directory and then moved all the contents of the original trainer directory (C:\Garmin\GNS400W\Trainer\*.*), instead to that new modules\DLL directory. Works just fine indeed!

EXCELLENT!!

The villagers are singing and dancing in the streets!

* Orest

YES, #2 works as well.

Well I've made changes in FSUIPC to add the Modules\DLL path to the "PATH" environment variable, instead of changing the search directory. I'm testing that today. Then folks shouldn't need to move any files around.

The reason this did not occur to me before is that the DLL search directory list is local to a Process, so the FSUIPC action cannot possibly change the directories searched by RXPGN1AE.exe. It could only affect and RealityXP gauges or DLLs actually running inside FSX. The mention of RealityXP software being an EXE misled me quite siginificantly I'm afraid. The software must have parts inside FSX as well.

I've uploaded a test version, 4.812b. Here: FSUIPC4812b. Please try that and let me know. That should work okay with the RealityXP stuff left as they were.

Regards

Pete

Couldn't wait until tonight, checked at lunch.

DELETED the modules\DLL directory, with the copied in 430W simulator files (the alternate solution)

The 430W files had already been deleted from the .EXE directory (the initial solution)

INSTALLED the new FSUIPC DLL (4812b)

Started up FSX, no error messages, no "files not found" message.

Selected an aircraft with the 430W installed, all worked as it should.

This has finally been put to rest!

* Orest

• 4 weeks later...