The simFlight Network Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Norm83

Unable to remove default traffic from FSX

Hello,

I have been using MYTRAFFIC 2010 on the same machine (basic specs below) for years without a problem and without any sign of the default FSX traffic.The traffic bgl is changed to passive

I always do a basic install and I do not have SDK so there is no toolbox since I don't have any intention of doing any customization.

Jetline Hellfire GTW

Win7 64 bit 12gb memory

FSX GOLD

UT USA & Canada

X Graphics

GEX North America

ActiveSky 2012

Recently FSX default aircraft began showing up and I can't explain why or how this happened..

I have uninstalled MT as instructed and reinstalled several times, including defagging,registry cleanups and of course restarts of windows and FSX accordingly.

Something really weird is going on as I even tried removing the aircraft bgl and the default aircraft still shows up. It's like an episode of Twilight Zone at this point. Thinking maybe this might be an FSX issue, my last try included total removal of all traces of MT followed by tring an FSX repair using the original install discs. Then I turned off the box for the night. Today I did some FSX test flights and confirmed FSX was working properly before trying to install MT 2010 once again. I just reinstalled Mt and much to my chagrin the curse remains. I was considering upgrading to MTX but I decided to hold out until I can resolve this issue. I googled and searched some forums but found nothing helpful.

Thanks in advance to anybody who can help out on this one.

Norm

Please browse to the folder scenery\world\scenery. I expect you have two files there, trafficAircraft.bgl and TrafficAircraft.bgl.passive. Delete the first and it will be done.

Background: If you run the FSX repair, and there is no trafficAircraft.bgl, this gets created again so that you have this twice. Now, since there is a traffic.bgl.passive, it cannot be renamed, windows does not low a rename that makes an overwrite of a file name.

This is no issue, because, once you have any addon installed you MUST NOT RUN THE FSX REPAIR. The FSX repair only knows of FSX, but not of any addons, does not check for any addons, and creates a whole mess if you have any addon installed.

Hi Mr. Burkhard,

I think I may have found the problem. A couple weeks ago I installed a scenery addon for KDSF airport in Kentucky.The timing closely matches the point where my MT problem suddenly occured.

In the KDSF scenery subfolder I just found and removed a bgl named **KSDFtraffic.bgl***. i renamed the FSX traffic file as passive, restarted FSX and revisited a couple of airports including KSDF and found no sign of any default traffic..

I zipped the file along with the readme notes and would send it to you if you were interested.

I will explore FSX a little further before I try to reinstall MyTraffic again. I know to run the install as administrator but can I trouble you please for complete and proper install instructions? Including how to import the MYT 2010 file. I am confused with that one as I would prefer the most recent traffic files installed.

I would greatly appreciate it. I will ultimately inform the KDSF creator regarding this matter if it turns out to be the culprit. Hopefully he will warn others of the potential problem.

Thanks, Norm

Edited by Norm83

If I read right the only version you currently have is MyTraffic 2010 by Aerosoft, so all you can do is to install that. From Simmarket you can get the "crossgrade" to update to MTX5.4, from there the update is free to 5.4a.

You have the DVD - then just run the installer, enter the code, the rest can just run as it is. There was a little problem with an early version by them to add double entries to FSX.cfg, resulting in many fouble title messages, but even if you have that version this should not happen since you come from their installer.

I don't have the DVD I used a direct download installer but I installed it successfully. Then I purchased the "crossgrade" to update to MTX5.4 and I may have been confused by the install instructions which said to download directly to the MT folder in the FSX folder which I did. But now I have the new version as a subfolder within the old MT folder. Was I supposed to install directly to the main FSX folder? It doesn't look right. And I am really sorry but I can't find the link for the free upgrade to 54A.

Edited by Norm83

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/71322-updating-from-mytraffic-54-to-mytraffic-54a-for-fsx/

I also purchased the Crossgrade and never downloaded it into the MT2010 Folder i just ran the installer from the windows download location and it installed perfectly inside the existing one and overwrote all the MT2010 folders, but in FSX the scenery library will still read MyTraffic 2010

Yes, where does it say you should have the MyTraffic folder as target and nt just the FSX folder. Delete the MyTraffic\MyTraffic folder, and install just to the FSX main folder.

MTXV54_Crossgrade\install.htm

Welcome to MyTraffic X 5.4 Crossgrade Installation!

First of all, thank you for purchasing MyTraffic X. We hope you'll enjoy using and sense some of the fun we had creating it. This is a valuable piece of software, so please make at least one safe backup of the MTX-installer. Since an AI-add on 'connects' to various FSX-disciplines, we kindly ask you to read and proceed according to the following instructions. The outcome and benefit will be a very configurable and easy to maintain AI-add-on.

This updates expects MyTraffic 2010 by Aerosoft to be installed and working.

If you are installing the MyTraffic crossgrade, please install to the existing MyTraffic folder, and do not rename or delete it

Thanks for the input Hi1pie. It seems there are now three different install recomendations to sort out. I am going to wait a bit to hear back from Mr. Burkhard. He seems to be the guru at work here. And kudos to him for his time and dedication in these forums. :razz:

Norm

Thanks, this is indeed misleading, I will change this to:

If you are installing the MyTraffic crossgrade, please install to use the existing MyTraffic folder, and do not rename or delete it. Please continue reading for the detailed explanation.

Since furtherdown it is explained in detail that you select the FSX main folder.

Please forgive me if this seems bothersome. But I am still a bit confused. So just to be clear I find a subtle but important distinction between "install using" and "install to".

Installing directly to the existing MT folder will result with the new version as a subfolder of the older one. Is this correct? I am not exactly sure what is meant by using the existing folder which could mean something else.

Please clarify.

Much thanks again for your patience.

Please forgive me if this seems bothersome. But I am still a bit confused. So just to be clear I find a subtle but important distinction between "install using" and "install to".

Installing directly to the existing MT folder will result with the new version as a subfolder of the older one. Is this correct? I am not exactly sure what is meant by using the existing folder which could mean something else.

Please clarify.

Much thanks again for your patience.

No, Install Directly to your main flight simulator folder which should result in the crossgrade installer Overwriting the MT2010 Folder which will resault in MTX Using the folder that was already there, there should be no "MT Subfolder" inside the existing MT Folder at any time! but remember that in the FSX Scenery library it will still read MyTraffic 2010 but its actually MyTraffic X

hi 1pie,

Now that makes perfect sense. I wonder if Mr. Burkhard agrees and would confirm.

I can't help but wonder that I can be the only one confused by this install issue. If your well written instructions are correct, perhaps the developers should adapt it to their current install instruction.

Much thanks.

Norm

Sorry, but the manual is cristal clear, tells you where to install and even shows you a screen shot of where you should lead it during the installation, which is what comes up in 999 of 1000 cases anyways.