The simFlight Network Forums

Boeing 737-400 at EGLC

Just flown into EGLC and when i was taxiing to the gate i noticed a 737-400 getting ready to depart in real life they do not fly from that airport as the min distance they need to get in the air is 2,540 m (8,483 ft.) whereas the runway length at London city is 1,508m 4,948ft the largest aircraft to fly out of there is the Airbus A318.

This is a really special case. Looking into the online data, there are a lot of flights, even heavier, who transmit EGLC as their destination (use it as alternate) and then land in Heathrow or Garwick. These tricks of alternate ATC destinations which allows for small fuel savings I have to find a way to program around. I hope I did so for 5.4b, but we have to check if this works.

I think the largest aircraft certified to use EGLC is actually an A319, rather than an A318, but only provided certain conditions are met. Certainly no B737 has ever been certified, that I have heard of.

The big problem, I'd guess, would be working out where to send anything heavier that is supposedly headed for a swim in the London docks?

There are enough big airports around... BAW 734 are typically Gatwick based.

The 2500m are at full load and full fuel, for a short hop without cargo 1500m are more than enough. Look at Rio City airport with its 1350m which operates all kinds of A320s and 737s. ( And neither is Rio deeper nor cooler than London). My problem is how to filter the data to have no 737s from EGLC, but from SBRJ, given that I collect data now from 5000 and more airports - each of them would need long lists of what is allowed and what not if I cannot trust the digital data I receive.

The limitations with LHR are not runway length, but descent and climb characteristics.

The approaches, from both ends, are 4.5 degree, not 3 degree, glideslopes. Therefore the aircraft has to be able to fly these and, equally importantly, go around from a failed approach.

The departures require very steep climb out angles, which require a grossly overpowered aircraft to achieve! As I understand it, one major limitation is that in order to get the critical low-level vertical speeds correct, aircraft have to over-rotate compared to normal. Therefore, a longer fuselage aircraft such as a B734, which needs a shallow initial climb, will have more difficulty than an aircraft with the same power engines as its siblings, but a much shorter fuselage, such as an A318, A319 or, potentially, a B735/B736.

I don't know whether the short stubby B73 series aircraft have ever been tested with 4.5 degree approaches and mad climbouts, let alone ever operated to or from EGLC, but until Airbus tested the A319, then certified the A318, the only jet that usually operated from City was the BAe146/Avro RJ series.

It really is a very odd airport.

Ian P.

Yes Burkhard - I think we may be talking at cross purposes here. You made reference to Rio City - I was just explaining why, in all likelihood, Rio City (or Belfast City, or many other similar airports) may be able to take "full sized" jets, compared to London City.

It does have a visual effect in the sim, in that AI traffic gets way too close to surrounding structures in vaguely realistic custom sceneries such as Aerosoft's London, but there's not a lot you can do about that without breaking something somewhere else. Whether you choose to treat certain airports differently than any other is very dependent on what you are prepared to and/or can do. I'm not implying that you should - just saying that yes, LCY is likely to cause problems compared to "more conventionally situated" airports.

I already had to sacrify a lot for these airports. As example all A320s and B737s must be able to land in Rio City - which makes them brake very stong everywhere in the world, and not utilize the runways. So whatever rule and setting is defined must be defined everywhere in the world.