The simFlight Network Forums

Joystick Controls and FSUIPC

Hello Guys and Gals,

I wonder if you can help me. I am a complete technophobe and the thought of going into files absolutely scares the bejeezus out of me. Here goes....

For about 2 years, I have had this problems with my joystick in that the 'Z Rotation' would fluctuate by itself. Fine when you are parked on a stand of if you have the parking brake set. Taxi-ing to the runway, taking off or taxi-ing off the runway was a complete pain in the posterior cause I just knew that if i took my hands off the controller, the plane would veer sharply right (sometimes left). But you know what, I just put up with it. As i said at the start, I am a technophobe and would rather have FS in some form rather than none if i start pushing buttons!

Then I started to get angry with it. Why should I 'put up with it'? I called Saitek / Mad Catz to see if they could offer any advice. They helped me delete some file or other from my registry that may have been the issue. They also reset the configuration of my stick..... NO CHANGE!!! I was very much minded it was the stick.

A friend of mine (who i introduced to FS via a friend) said to me.... 'It wont be the stick. What you need is FSUIPC. It is brilliant and you will be able to control everything from there.' So off to simmarket i went and bought FSUIPC. My friend sent me a joystick and i started using it. What I am getting now is that whenever i change the position of the power controller, the aircraft will veer right because the rudder moves. When i correct it the aircraft will then go straight. Until i change the position of the power controller. And it does it again.

Any help would be gratefully received to rectify this issue. All I would like to do is taxi in a straight line so the ATC doesnt think i am 'under the influence'!

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

Best Regards and happy landings,

Graeme.

What I am getting now is that whenever i change the position of the power controller, the aircraft will veer right because the rudder moves. When i correct it the aircraft will then go straight. Until i change the position of the power controller. And it does it again.

Have you tried reducing some of the aircraft realism sliders? If you are using a prop plane, as you increase power there are two forces at work which will make the plane veer:

1. the increasing torque of the propeller rotation, and

2. the "prop wash", the air moving down one side of the aircraft more than the other and hitting the tail fin

Believe me, in a real light aircraft the effect is really quite strong and as you accelerate you need more and more rudder to offset the veering.

FS simulates this, but if you don't use rudder pedals it is best to turn the effect down because it is otherwise difficult to deal with. And FS can overdo it with some aircraft (mainly I think because of a lack of grond friction). Go to the aircraft - realism menu in FS and look at the sliders there. Turn some of them down (move them to the left) until you feel the aircraft is manageable.

If you think none of this is applicable to you, and you are calibrating your joystick in FSUIPC , please locate the FSUIPC "INI" file ("configuration settings", which will be in your main FS folder, inside the Modules folder, and paste its contents in a reply here, and I'll be able see what you've done. If it is merely a slighty wavering output from your joystick an increased neutral cental area should do the job of stabilising it.

Regards

Pete