The simFlight Network Forums

REAL AIR BE 60 DUKE with VB6

hello peter, I´m making a homemade cockpit and I´m using VB6 to control the offsets between my instruments and FS,

and It works fine with the microsoft b-58 but when I change to the Real Air BE-60 some functions like the HDG Knob doesn´t work.

It seems like I´m writing the offset and then the realair rewrites it again.

Im thinking that perhaps Im dragging the HDG indicator to somewhere, but I´m not controling the HDG OBS so the real air put the indicator back where the OBS is.

so I don´t know solve this problem...

sorry about my english! I hope you can understand something.

Gabriel!

hello peter, I´m making a homemade cockpit and I´m using VB6 to control the offsets between my instruments and FS,

and It works fine with the microsoft b-58 but when I change to the Real Air BE-60 some functions like the HDG Knob doesn´t work.

It seems like I´m writing the offset and then the realair rewrites it again.

Many add-on aircraft use their own autopilot values. It is probably simply writing back to the FS value because it uses a standard bit of gauge for its display.

Check whether it is using the standard FS controls -- enable FSUIPC's event logging and see what controls it uses when changing the heading bug on screen. Do the standard FS keystrokes work? Do the standard FS controls work if you assign them in FSUIPC?

It may be using local gauge variables (L:vars) to hold values like this. Try logging L:Vars and see if one of those holds the heading bug value.

Im thinking that perhaps Im dragging the HDG indicator to somewhere, but I´m not controling the HDG OBS so the real air put the indicator back where the OBS is.

Sorry, I don't understand this part.

so I don´t know solve this problem...

It may not be solvable, depending how that add-on aircraft was designed. But have you checked the User Contributions subforum here? I just had a quick look, searching for "Duke" and there are two threads with lots of examples. Seems the aircraft uses L:Vars quite extensively. The solution probably lies in that direction.

Regards

Pete

Hi, Pete Thanks for replying so quickly, Here you have what I can see in the LINDA console.

My VB6 program writes the 07CC Offset to 0, but then the real air BE-60 writes the CONTROL 66042 so the heading bug returns to the value 168.

As you can see the Real air writes the 66042 CONTROL six times faster than my VB6 program, but some strange thing happen when I switch from the 3D inside view to some outside view, by doing that It seems my program starts to win and the plane veer to the AP HDG selected in my VB6 program, likely because the actualization rate of te REAL AIR decreases because of the increase of visual demands.

I don't know how to stop the REALAIR sending this 66042CONTROL, or how to change It's value from VB6.

best regards,

GABRIEL

WRITE0 07CC, 4 bytes: 00 00 00 00 MY VB6 PROGRAM WRITING THE AP_HDG TO 0

[C] Control: 66042 - 168 HEADING_BUG_SET THE REAL AIR WRITING THE AP_HDH TO 168

[C] Control: 66042 - 168 HEADING_BUG_SET IN THE FS THE HDG BUG APPEARS IN 168

[C] Control: 66042 - 168 HEADING_BUG_SET

WRITE0 07CC, 4 bytes: 00 00 00 00 ....

WRITE0 07CC, 4 bytes: 00 00 00 00 ....

WRITE0 07CC, 4 bytes: 00 00 00 00

Hi, Pete Thanks for replying so quickly, Here you have what I can see in the LINDA console.

My VB6 program writes the 07CC Offset to 0, but then the real air BE-60 writes the CONTROL 66042 so the heading bug returns to the value 168.

Yes, but I don't think you read my last reply properly. I'll repeat the important parts:

Many add-on aircraft use their own autopilot values. It is probably simply writing back to the FS value because it uses a standard bit of gauge for its display.

... see what controls it uses when changing the heading bug on screen. Do the standard FS keystrokes work? Do the standard FS controls work if you assign them in FSUIPC?

In other words, find out how you can normally change the heading bug! I'm sure it cannot be fixed permanently at 168 as you seemed to imply in your last message! Obviously writing to the FS offset is pointless. Also:

It may be using local gauge variables (L:vars) to hold values like this. Try logging L:Vars and see if one of those holds the heading bug value.

... have you checked the User Contributions subforum here? I just had a quick look, searching for "Duke" and there are two threads with lots of examples. Seems the aircraft uses L:Vars quite extensively. The solution probably lies in that direction.

I shouldn't really have to repeat these things. Obviously you must be able to change the heading bug, and not via the offset which it is permanently in control of. Why not investigate in the ways I suggested?

Regards

Pete

BTW looking at the Real Air site, I notice this listed as one of the improvements they mad to the aircraft in their SP1 update:

Improved support for advanced hardware input devices: You can now use advanced hardware input devices such as those made by GoFlight and Elite to control the HSI heading and course knobs as well as the VOR2 OBS knob. Also, when using these or similar devices to adjust the autopilot altitude you should now correctly see your selected altitude on the autopilot screen.

Maybe you need to update the aircraft?

Pete

Thanks Pete,

as you can see the only thing I know about this is to write offsets through VB6, I don´t fully understand Lvars and how can I control It with VB6,

but I think I´ll try with te SP1 Update and studying a little bit more about Lvars...

I´m very thankfull for you help

Best Regards,

Gabriel

as you can see the only thing I know about this is to write offsets through VB6, I don´t fully understand Lvars and how can I control It with VB6,

Well if you do need to write to an L:Var it would mean having a macro file invoked via the offsets in FSUIPC to do these things.

But it might be much simpler than that! Why not simply find out how you (YOU, the pilot) is changing the heading bug! What is happening when you change it using whatever means the aircraft currently provides -- i.e. via keyboard or mouse?That's whyt i suggested logging! If you know how that is done then doing the same from your program can be derived!

Why jump straight into more complex things before checking the simpler ones?

Note, in any case, that there is an FSUIPC "control" you can assign to log L:Vars. It isn't really so complex!

Pete