The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC and Windows 8

Just having some trouble with installing of fsuipc and win8.Fsuipc is version 4.8.2.7, WIN8 is "Windows 8 Release Preview with Media Centre. The installer stops working before any thing happens. I have tried compatibly settings (winxp through to Vista) and run as administrator. "FSUIP4 installer for FSX has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." I have made sure that all of the fsx folders are read/write. Any ideas? Thanks, bob

I just found this support question in the FAQ subforum, where it won't get answerred, so I've moved it to the Support Forum.

Just having some trouble with installing of fsuipc and win8.Fsuipc is version 4.8.2.7, WIN8 is "Windows 8 Release Preview with Media Centre. The installer stops working before any thing happens.

What do you mean "before anything happens"? No window appearing showing progress? That's the first thing it does, open a Window, which surely Win8 is capable of?

I have tried compatibly settings (winxp through to Vista) and run as administrator. "FSUIP4 installer for FSX has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." I have made sure that all of the fsx folders are read/write. Any ideas?

No. The installer is a standard Windows program using only standard windows facilities. It doesn't need any compatibility settings and certainly doesn't need any of FSX folders to be made read/write.

I need more information -- you say it does nothing, not even open a Window? What does the Windows application log show for the error. It should tell you the module offset and error code at least.

Regards

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Pete:

I just installed Windows 8 Release Preview a few days ago, then installed Flight Simulator X and Service Packs 1 and 2. No other add-ons are installed yet

I'm having the same problem trying to run the installer for FSUIPC4. When first launching the application, I get the standard User Account Control prompt asking me if I want to allow the program to make changes to my computer. After approving, and then a window titled "Installer for FSUIPC 4" opens. It only gets as far as displaying the text "Installer for FSUIPC4.DLL version 4.827" before I get an "FSUIPC4 installer for FSX has stopped working" dialog box. Like the OP, I've tried running it as an administrator and in compatibility mode for Windows XP, Vista, and 7, with no luck.

112hr1i.jpg

How can I access my Windows application log?

I just installed Windows 8 Release Preview a few days ago

You realise no one can support an operating system which isn't officially released yet? You are effectively Beta testing for Microsoft.

I'm having the same problem trying to run the installer for FSUIPC4. When first launching the application, I get the standard User Account Control prompt asking me if I want to allow the program to make changes to my computer. After approving, and then a window titled "Installer for FSUIPC 4" opens. It only gets as far as displaying the text "Installer for FSUIPC4.DLL version 4.827" before I get an "FSUIPC4 installer for FSX has stopped working" dialog box. Like the OP, I've tried running it as an administrator and in compatibility mode for Windows XP, Vista, and 7, with no luck.

Sounds like Microsoft still have a ways to go before it's releasable then. There's nothing other than standard Windows methods used in the installer. It doesn't bode well for much else if you ask me!

Anyway, I can't look at this without more information. I need the error details to start with.

How can I access my Windows application log?

I've no idea in Win8. In Win7 you do this:

Press "Start" and in the "Search programs and files" edit box, enter "event viewer" and press Enter. In the explorer-type window which appears, open the "Windows Logs" entry, and select "Application". In the list which appears, scroll down to find the relevant entry. Errors have a red "!" icon in the "Level" column, and you will be looking for the FSUIPC4 installer in the "Source" column. Double click it to get a Window showing the details, with a "Copy" button. Use the Copy button and then paste the result into a message here.

Whether it will help or not I don't know, but i'll look at it.

Regards

Pete

I have a feeling Win8 is going to fall on its arse big time, its another Vista/ME in the making I think. God knows what possessed them to go with a mobile phone style user interface for a desktop computer, it looks like someone from Fisher Price had been commissioned to design it..

I have a feeling Win8 is going to fall on its arse big time

Just to check, I installed the Preview on my notebook (destroying my old Vista 32-bit system in the process -- I intend to put Win7 - 64 on it anyway)..

Good news: the current FSUIPC4 installer (4.84) released today works fine. No problems. I don't know what was wrong before. I think it was a Windows glitch.

Bad, though: what a really awful system it is!! It is dreadfully slow at everything and the most difficult thing to use i ever encountered. I did install a thing called "start8" to give me back my Start button and search/execute edit field, but i still can't find much. I can't even get any decent video drivers installed, and my bluetooth mouse is useless as there seems to be no bluetooth support at present.

Either they've made a complete hash of things, or this "preview" is released far far too early and there's a lot more work to be done!

Regards

Pete

I've not even bothered downloading Win8 to look at it, all the negative comments, pictures and download statistics have put me off, apparently 50% less people have bothered to download the preview edition of W8 compared with Windows 7 Beta. W7 is so good nobody wants to bother upgrading, and certainly not to downgrade on functionality. It seems all MS are interested in now is the micro transaction app stores that Apple has done so well with on iOS, W8 seems to be built around this App store mentality of charge little and often for everything.