The simFlight Network Forums

MTX Prof. 5.4b delete FSX fictional aircraft

Baran767

After installing MTX Prof. 5.4b I ran the FSX repair to correct an issue with my home airport...not realizing at the time that this would reset the hidden file containing the fictional airline files, permitting them to reappear in MTX. My question is....what is the step by step procedure to delete the fictional airline bgl's?

Sorry, no. Please only give advice if you are sure and have tested the situation yourself. Often answers even for me take time, because many question need to build a setup and repeat the steps the user has done. In this case, this will not work, because Windows has no option to rename a file to one that already exists.

So the correct answer for this user is: Please go to the folder <FSX>\scenery\world\scenery\ and delete the file trafficAircraft.bgl.

And the second, more important message is: The repair function of FSX only works without any third party addons installed. It knows nothing about any addons. When you run it with addons installed, it creates a mess, can lead to crashes, etc.

If you think you need to run it after installation of addons, you have to uninstall the addons in exactly the inverse order as you installed them. If you did not record the exact order of the installation of addons, do never uninstall addons in any other order than the inverse installation order, or it creates a mess, can lead to crashes, etc.

For each addon, that you uninstall, check its documentation about detailed uninstallation prcedure. If you do not follow these, it creates a mess, can lead to crashes, etc.

So in the end, if you have more than one addon installed, the repair function is never to be considered. It may solve one problem, but can create three new ones which only show up later, and then there are many users who spend days in repairing again and again and fiddeling around with what is basically broken. If there is a significant problem with FSX that cannot be understood and fixed, then the only way I can recommend is to completely remove it and all of its addons, not only the FSX folder, but also all of the registry entries, and to completely install new from scratch.

Thanks to all for your quick response. After submitting the question I thought about it some more, I renamed the trafficAircraft.bgl in the world senery folder by putting an X in front of the .bgl rendering it disabled. So far it appears to have worked.

Burkhard so far I have not noticed any other add-on issues generated by the FSX repair, I will keep a closer look for a while.

Thanks, Baran

Sorry, no. Please only give advice if you are sure and have tested the situation yourself. Often answers even for me take time, because many question need to build a setup and repeat the steps the user has done. In this case, this will not work, because Windows has no option to rename a file to one that already exists.

But i have done this before and it worked perfectly fine for me... :???: