The simFlight Network Forums

Using MSVS express 2010 to compile the FSUIPC SDK hello world

I'm trying to compile the UIPCHello.c that is on the FSUIPC C SDK, and after adding the library I get this error:

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'LIBC.lib'

This is the first time I'm using VS. I've been used to code with notepad++ and gedit when on linux so I'm pretty sure I'm doing something stupid with the project properties. Thing is, I'm not really confident on what it is, and I really don't want to get into makefiles as I only did them on linux and they were quite bad to be honest lol. I researched the forum and found out I can go around this issue by making a makefile, but is there anyway to compile this using VS? Maybe a later version?

Thanks

I'm trying to compile the UIPCHello.c that is on the FSUIPC C SDK, and after adding the library I get this error:

This is the first time I'm using VS. I've been used to code with notepad++ and gedit when on linux so I'm pretty sure I'm doing something stupid with the project properties. Thing is, I'm not really confident on what it is, and I really don't want to get into makefiles as I only did them on linux and they were quite bad to be honest lol. I researched the forum and found out I can go around this issue by making a makefile, but is there anyway to compile this using VS? Maybe a later version?

I use VS too. Have you compiled anything else with it before?

The source of everything provided for UIPCHello.c is provided in the SDK. I expect if you are using the compiled LIB file it isn't compatible with your version of VS. Just take the source of the LIB instead and either make a new lib with your VS or simply build the source into the program. Your choice.

Regards

Pete

I compiled a new .lib, which did so with warnings, which I found weird. Compiling the hello also worked out, without warnings as I recall, but the actual program is failing to connect to FS saying "Cannot link to FSUIPC or WideClient". I assume this comes from the warnings? Also VS is giving me a bunch of missing Windows PDB's, but since I haven't done anything to the code, I'm assuming that's ok.

I compiled a new .lib, which did so with warnings, which I found weird. Compiling the hello also worked out, without warnings as I recall, but the actual program is failing to connect to FS saying "Cannot link to FSUIPC or WideClient". I assume this comes from the warnings?

I've no idea because I don't know what your warnings are. There are so many options in Microsoft VS that it confuses me and I've been using them for many many years! Most warnings from older programs (and UIPCHello and the Library code is 12 years old now) come from stricter and stricter "rules" added by microsoft over the years.

You'll need to debug the code and determine WHY it says it cannot connect. It may simply be you are using it with FSX and haven't added FSX as one of the acceptable versions in the header declarations. either way, you will find the debugger in your VS very useful. Just step through the code, see where it determines the error.

Also VS is giving me a bunch of missing Windows PDB's, but since I haven't done anything to the code, I'm assuming that's ok.

Sorry, don't know what "PDBs" are.

Regards

Pete

It looks like you forgot to add /NODEFAULTLIB:LIBC.lib to the Command Line options of the Linker in the Configuration Properties of your project...

I don't think you need to compile a new .lib, at least I did not.