The simFlight Network Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rmcconn

Exporting flightplans to PMDG

Hi,

Would someone kiindly explain the procedure for exporting flightplans to an external folder e.g. PMDG.

I've followed the user manual and searched the forum for advice, but still can't get my plans into my PMDG flightplan folder.

When selecting the 'save as' menu option from the main FSC screen, the Save/Load window appears, and I have selected and checked the PMDG box. The FS Commander box is checked by default.

In the 'Paths' section, all the paths are correct, but I see FS Commander is pathed to my Flight Simulator X > PMDG>Flightplan folder. Is this correct and should the folder name not be PMDG ?

When saving the plan from this window, nothing appears in the PMDG> Flightplan folder, even though FS Commander is pathed to this. I would have thought at least something should appear since the path is correct.

Am I missing something or just not understanding the procedure.

Ron

Hi Ron,

no special settings are required. This applies in particular for the PMDG.

Study the current online manual, section 5.4 Saving and loading flight plans.

Most importantly, the second screenshot on page 64.

Line 2 on the map Paths shows the setting in which folder the Flight Simulator X is installed.

It is not necessary to specify a folder or path for the PMDG aircraft. The FSCommander knows where to find the paths.

Volker

Volker,

Received your reply which is basically what I have found previously in the forum to those with a similar problem

I have read and absorbed the relevant manual sections, especially page 64 and the screenshots.

I have checked my Save/Load window paths for :-

Line 1, FS Commander [C:\FSC9\Flightplan\FSC] This wsas previously pathed to my PMDG flightplan folder, but as plans are saved in FSC format, I changed it.

Line 2, Flight Simulator X [C:\Program Files (X86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X] This is the correct ditectory for my Flight Simulator X installation.

Line 3, FSX Flight Plans [C:\Users\MyName\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files]

All of these now give the correct paths to the relevant flightplan folders and they do contain the plans I have made and saved. If all of these are correct, where do I enter the path to my PMDG plan folder ? The "Name" column will not allow an entry.

No plans are showing in my PMDG flightplan folder, so, as a test exercise, I made a simple plan from EGSS to EGPD. I then changed the paths for both Squawk Box and IVAO to my PMDG plan folder in FSX. Making sure the boxes for these 2 formats were ticked, I saved this plan and then checked the PMDG flighplan folder. No files were present. Surely they should have been there.

There is obviously something I am not understanding, which reading page 64 of the manual is not explaining.

Sorry to be so dumb, but may I have a simple step by step procedure to explain how this works.

Ron

Hi Ron,

when you created the flight plan then you have to activate only the Checkbox PMDG.

It is not possible and not necessary to set a path for the PMDG flight plan.

You will then find the flight plan in the folder C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Microsoft Games \ Microsoft Flight Simulator X \ PMDG \ FLIGHT PLAN.

If this is not the case then either the FSCommander has not been installed as an administrator or the FSCommander is not started as administrator.

Thus, the flight plan was saved in the virtual store and is not visible for you and the PMDG.

Read also: http://forum.simflight.com/forum/75-fs-commander-support-forum/

and download

http://forum.simflight.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=98768

Volker

Volker,

Sorry to have to tell youthis, but still no joy.

I have a new computer and no one has touched it but me. All programs including windows have been installed by myself, and I should therefore have full administrator privilidges.

On right clicking the unzipped and extracted FS Commander installation file, which I have saved in it's own folder, no option to install the program as 'Run as Administrator' is shown. Also, when installed, the FSC_FSX.exe file also has no option to Run as Administrator when right clicking on the file. However, when selecting the security tab under file Properties, I see I have full permissions.

Your conclusion that the program is not being run as administrator would seem to be correct as the PMDG flightplans are not being transferred, but for the life of me, I can't see why.

Is there anything you can suggest to help solve this problem, as I seem to be getting nowhere.

Ron

Ron, something doesn't seem right here. You say: "On right clicking the unzipped and extracted FS Commander installation file, which I have saved in it's own folder, no option to install the program as 'Run as Administrator' is shown. Also, when installed, the FSC_FSX.exe file also has no option to Run as Administrator when right clicking on the file. "

I, like you, am the only use of my dedicated FSX machine. However, I do see the option, upon right-click, to "run as administrator" on the FSC executable file - or any other executable file, for that matter. It's always the second option shown (Win7).

Here's an idea: Set up a new administrator account (which will now require you to log in as one or the other user, I expect). Then go through the process again to see what happens. Try right-clicking on some other random exe files too, just to see what you get.

Hi Ron,

as described by flibinite (thank you) and you can read about it in the document Vista and Windows 7 users please read.pdf .

... VERY VERY IMPORTANT

You MUST install FlightSim Commander as ADMINISTRATOR. Notice, furthermore, that

it is NOT sufficient that you are the administrator of your system.

Rather, you need to install the programs by right-clicking and selecting "install or run

as administrator". If you don't, all kinds of strange behaviors are to be expected,

incomplete installation, failure to find the correct database files, or even crash of the

main program....

There is a big difference to be an administrator or install / run as an administrator.

Regards,

Volker

Thanks guys,

I'll soldier on and carry out your advice.

I've checked several program start files on my desktop, and while some give the option of running as administrator, not all do. Why this should be so, I've no idea.

Anyway, I think I'll remove FS Commander and re-install from scratch and see where that gets me.

Thanks for all your help anyway. As Schwarzenegger says - I'll be back !!

Ron.

Guys,

Latest update.

Removed FS Commander.

Back to SimMarket and to check my registration details.

Downloaded FSC921.zip again from your website.

Extracted the files.

This time I had the option of installing as "Run as Administrator" which I selected.

Installed the program directly under C:\

Completed registration.

Correctly pathed my FSX installation when I received the error message.

Made a short flightplan and making sure the PMDG box was ticked - (it was already ticked) - saved the plan.

Opened the PMDG flightplan folder in FSX to check the contents.

No plan saved.

Made another account in Control Panel, giving Administrator privilidges.

Rebooted under this user account.

Right clicked the FSC start program icon on my desktop.

Options window gives :-

Open

Troubleshoot compatability

Scan for viruses

Move to quarantine

Safe run

Check reputation in KSN

Open file location

Pin to taskbar

Pin to start menu

Restore previous version

Send to

Cut

Copy

Create shortcut

Delete

Rename

Properties

and that's it. Right clicking the program run file under my account gives the same options. No Run as Administrator.

I'm just about to commit suicide.

Ron

Silly question time... Have you simply searched for the filename you are saving the plan as, to see where (if) it is actually being saved?

Ian P.

SUICIDE POSTPONED !!

Did a quick search of the internet for a possible solution and found this.

Right click the desktop icon, select Properties.

Under "Compatibility" select "Always run this program as Administrator"

Apply and save in the usual way.

Obviously, for some reason, even although the program was installed under "Run as Administrator" the program start icon needed this action as well.

I've saved a couple of plans and indeed they have been saved under my PMDG folder.

Hallelugah !!

Many, many thanks guys for all your help and suggestions.

Ron