The simFlight Network Forums

OK Pete, Here is one for you!

Hi Pete and everyone! I've got a question and I'm not sure if its even possible. I've created a fx file for a VC light with the FX editor that is part of the SDK. In the editor while creating it I used a "Do Effect" button to see what my work looked like. I put this vc light in Carenado's 172N but there isn't any way to turn on my light without also turning on Carenado's absurdly bright cockpit light also. Is there a way to trigger an effect like this through FSUIPC where I could only turn on my light and not the Carenado light?

Untitled-7.jpg

I want this

Bright.jpg

Not this

Thanks Mark

It might be possible to add the fx to the [smokesystem] section of the aircraft.cfg file and give it a number other than smoke.0, say smoke.3.

Then send the SMOKE_ON or SMOKE_OFF commands with a parameter of 4 (1 higher than the smoke.3 entry).

I don't have that aircraft so I do not know what use is made of the SMOKE section. If the aircraft code uses a global SMOKE_ON/OFF

command for some event(s) this method may not work.

I've used this method to control individual effects with a XML gauge but you can easily assign those commands to buttons via the FSUIPC4 menu system. The commands are "Smoke On" and "Smoke Off" in the Buttons + Switches section menu.

One caveat for this is that at least 1 engine must be running for the smokesystem to be active.

• Upvote 1

Is there a way to trigger an effect like this through FSUIPC where I could only turn on my light and not the Carenado light?

No, there's nothing in FSUIPC, or in any part of SimConnect, to trigger effects directly. They seem to be related to other things, so, as Gypsy Baron suggested, you'd need to try to link them somehow.

Regards

Pete

Ok Thanks for the replies. I'll play with it a little and see what I can come up with.

Mark

Gypsy, THAT WORKED GREAT!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!

I did have to tie it to the mixture axis, whenever I tied it to the smoke button the effect would only stay on while the button was pushed. I don't think I'll be flying without the mixture in range though anyway. Once again thanks for the great idea!

Mark