The simFlight Network Forums

Replacing FSX.Cfg will it add the line back?

peebee

Yes, it does, but by repalcing FSX.cfg you mess up everything. Maintaining FSX.cfg is a part of the paperwork you have to with with every change to FSX.

The communicator just looks if there is a string MyTraffic\aircraft - in all possibel ways to write it. If this does not exist, it allows to add.

Thanks for your quick reply Burkhard. When you say will mess everything up.... Can you explain that please I keep a backup of my custom FSX.Cfg if I start getting errors or CTDs I remove the old config and copy in my backup accept all the gauges ect and its good as new. My concern was My Traffic may not like this. I must say its usually a last resort that I replace the config.

Peebee

I have no experience about gauges, it may be that there are buggy gauges which cause crashes, and by removing them from FSX.cfg you de facto disable them.

Problem now is that your FSX.cfg reflects you installation - so if you just exchange it and do not make the same changes on your disk things no longer fit together, and you may refer to things which should not be referred to. This is what I called a mess.

Hi Burkhard, I'm sorry accepting the gauges may be misleading. What I mean't was when you install 3rd party aircraft from Pmdg, Cap Sim ect or add on scenery from Orbx ect the first time you run Fsx it will come up with a box asking you if you want to run the new add on's yes/no, when I replace my FSX.Cfg all these pop up again because as you say the config at this stage thinks they are all new installations and you have to go through the first startup routine again.

Peebee

I would never allow any third party to modify my FSX.cfg, but that is my private opinion. Some do it properly, and the others are the reason you have to go back to start I assume.

How do you install aircraft such as the PMDB NGX ?? Do you not get a message when you run FSX for the first time after your install asking if you want to run this software yes or no. And similar with other major pay ware addons.

Peebee

Anything that uses a ".gau" format C++ gauge, rather than a XML gauge, will need that gauge to be authorised before use and, if you select to allow it to be used constantly, this will be added to fsx.cfg.

Burkhard is not your average user, however and probably does not use airliners or complex aircraft with C++ gauges - his areas of interest are, I strongly suspect from what he has said in the past, lying elsewhere within what you can do with the sim!

Ian P.

If you delete (or rename) fsx.cfg then yes, it will be recreated - as Burkhard says - without any of the additional things you have installed.

This does mean that you will need to re-approve any C++ modules and gauges that you have installed. However, other things that have amended fsx.cfg will NOT be added back in as they are not 'called' when loaded. A good example is actually MyTrafficX, which adds a line to allow access to the aircraft that it adds for AI. That would not be added to a replacement fsx.cfg and you simply wouldn't see the aircraft any more.

That whole file is a bit of a minefield. If they don't understand what editors such as Jesus Altuve's do, then many users will complain that functions and objects they had before no longer work, so they go to the developers of those and say "it's not working" when what's actually happened is that the edited fsx.cfg has turned them off or down. Whether you are editing fsx.cfg yourself, or are allowing a 3rd party application to edit it, you should always keep a default one backed up to test anything before reporting errors!

Cheers,

Ian P.

Thanks Ian, I guess that brings me back to my original question, if I do have to replace my config with my backup wil the communicator tool rewrite the my traffic line too it?? When it can't see that the backup config hasn't got it in it OR will I have to save the my traffic line into my backup tweaked config.

I hope I am making myself clear.

Regards peebee