The simFlight Network Forums

Newbie question about using 2 computers for FSX

I've been flying for years on Vatsim, and have only used 1 computer. I've been using FSX and am pleased with the look and performance. My question is, how do I connect another computer to run some of the other external programs on the seperate computer?, the hope is to release some the prossessing burden on the main computer which suffers in high scenery load areas. I use a registered version of FSUIPC. I know there is a programe that might be helpful but not sure whats it called or how to set it up.

I would like to run Navigraph (approach maps), weather programe (REX) and possibly squawk box. I realise I might not be able to get all on the 2nd computer but anything would be helpful.

Thanks

Steve in Oxford

Speedbird 536

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.2GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 8190MB RAM

Page File: 2116MB used, 14262MB available

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 4gb memory

Hello Steve,

There are two programs that will allow you to move some - not all - FSX supporting applications to a seperate computer. As an example, I am currently running ActiveSky 2012 and FSCommander on the notebook I am typing this on, while running FSX on my desktop. These programs are Simconnect (built into FSX, being used by AS2012) and WideFS (by Pete Dowson as part of the FSUIPC suite, being used by FSCommander).

A lot depends on the application you want to run. ActiveSky and Squawkbox use Simconnect and do not require any additional software to set up, just some configuration. For Squawkbox, run the installer for that on both PCs, selecting the one you want to run FSX on and the one you want to run Squawkbox on as appropriate. REX and Navigraph I don't know about and you will need to check their documentation for whether they use Simconnect or WideFS.

Although WideFS Server is part of the FSUIPC dll file, it requires seperate licensing and registration - see here for details: http://secure.simmar...n-widefs7.phtml

Hope that helps?

Cheers,

Ian P.

Thanks, that does help. I've got 2 moniters that use FSX, and adding a 2nd computer and moniter will help relieve the burden on the main computer. I'm glad you spoke about Simconnect as I didn't realise that it was used to connect SB.

regards

Steven Higa from Oxford