The simFlight Network Forums

SimConnect = FSUIPC or WideFS?

A shot in the dark..........

Is there any equivalent of SimConnect available to FS9 users through either FSUIPC or WideFS?

What I mean is, say for example..............

Could FSUIPC or WideFS be used to breathe weather into FS9 the way a weather program injects weather into FSX via SimConnect?

With some specific tinkering or modifications, If the weather program works in FSX, could it work in FS9 using FSUIPC or WideFS?

Thanks

John

The slightly longer answer is that Simconnect and FSUIPC are used for very similar things - they inject data into and extract data from FSX. Prior to FSX, FSUIPC was pretty much the only way to do that.

Simconnect also has the capability to do the same over a network connection. That's WideFS.

As alaxus says, all the versions of ActiveSky and other weather applications that support FS9 will be able to do so across a FSUIPC/WideFS connection from a networked PC. It's how I always used to do it, too.

Cheers,

Ian P.

The reason I ask is for the interest of OPUS weather fans. There is an indication that the software can only use the SimConnect interface, but I wondered if with some modifications if either of these two pieces of software might be able to bring the wonderful world of OPUS to FS9 skies?

John

The reason I ask is for the interest of OPUS weather fans. There is an indication that the software can only use the SimConnect interface, but I wondered if with some modifications if either of these two pieces of software might be able to bring the wonderful world of OPUS to FS9 skies?

No, I think it is written specifically for SimConnect.

Pete

Thanks Pete. Agree, it definitely is. I'm not asking anyone to try, but in principle could it work through FSUIPC or WideFS?

Yes, probably -- if re-written to do so. though I'm not actually sure if all of its functions would be covered as I don't really know it.

What I mean, are there programs that use your interface for FSX?

Of course. All of those which work through FSUIPC on FS9 should work, and certainly most do -- after all, that was the whole reason for the continuously compatible interface FSUIPC has offered since FS2000 days.. There are some newer programs whose developers chose to use FSUIPC over SimConnect too, either because they found it easier or more familiar or, more likely, because they could also then port to FS9. Once it was realised that FS9 wasn't going to die any time soon its number of users is still an attraction for developers.

Pete