The simFlight Network Forums

Problems with FSUIPC and BU0836A interface

Hi

I have a problem with FSUIPC and the BU0836A usb analogue interface unit: http://www.leobodnar.com/products/BU0836A/. I have looked on the forum but can't find anything that helps.

When I try to calibrate the joystick with FSUIPC, the IN values vary from -16xxx to 16xxx ok but the lower OUT value only goes down to -4096. This results in the controls only working in the top half of their range. I have tried assigning the joystick in FS and FSUIPC only - still the same result. If I calibrate the joystick in FS9and do not calibrate in FSUIPC, the controls use the whole range.

Has anyone else had this problem?

My setup is FS9 running on Win7 and using FSUIPC V3.999

I have a problem with FSUIPC and the BU0836A usb analogue interface unit: http://www.leobodnar...ducts/BU0836A/. I have looked on the forum but can't find anything that helps.

When I try to calibrate the joystick with FSUIPC, the IN values vary from -16xxx to 16xxx ok but the lower OUT value only goes down to -4096. This results in the controls only working in the top half of their range.

The -4096 represents maximum reverse thrust (based on the default 25% max reverse for aircraft which have this). Anything more negative is not useful in any case, and whatever it is is mapped to the max reverse value for the loaded aircraft in any case.

I think you are misinterpreting something. If you don't want reverse on the same axis (as it sounds from your "controls only working in the top half" comment), simply check the "no reverse zone" option! If you do want reverse but on a smaller part of the axis, simply calibrate the centre or idle position where you want it. That's the whole point of the comprehensive calibration facilities provided!

In fact you could calibrate the full off position of your lever to the idle/centre position in any case and avoid the reverse zone, but the NRZ option is more efficient. With the controls FSUIPC uses by default, the OUT range 0-16383 represents the complete range of forward settings which the ordinary controls deal with by -16k to +16k. This is what you fail to grasp it seems. The default FS controls do not have any reverse range at all!

Please do read the User Guide some time. It will help.

Pete

Thanks, that fixed the issue.

I did in fact read the user manual several times but I missed the part that says reverse thrust is ON by default.

In fact, I find it very strange that it is on by default for all axes when only jet aircraft have the reverse thrust facility on the throttle.

Chris.

I find it very strange that it is on by default for all axes when only jet aircraft have the reverse thrust facility on the throttle.

You miss the point I fear. The controls normally used in the separate throttle calibration tab are those with a reverse range from -16k to 0 and forward thrust only from 0 upwards. The whole range is still applicable to all aircraft, it is just that aircraft wiithout reverse ignore the negative inputs. The calibration section does not know or care what aircraft you are calibrating for. You can of course make calibrations specific for particular aircraft by using the Profile or Aircraft Specific facilities, and adjust the way you calibrate accordingly.

One of the main reasons FSUIPC has been used for calibration for a long time (since FS2000) by so many folks is precisely because it can provide reverse ranges on levers, whereas FS itself cannot. This was true for so long that it was not until relatively recently that the "no reverse zone" facility was added. Even then the main spur for that was the introduction of the Saitek quadrants which were fitted with a button operated reverse instead.

Before the NRZ checkbox was added folks who didn't need or want a reverse zone simply calibrated the idle (centre) position at the full back position of the lever, which effectively does the same thing anyway. Before you "discovered" the NRZ you must surely have noticed that there were 4, not 2 calibration points? One for full thrust, two to define the idle area, and one for full reverse. They are actually displayed and labelled on screen, so surely difficult to miss? And if you bothered to follow the numbered steps to proper calibration listed in the User Guide you could not have failed to notice!

Pete