The simFlight Network Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bosmass

what happened to all the arrivals?

hello all, I updated my stb and now I have the latest version 3.2. But when I look at arrivals, it only shows a few when there should be lots more at least it was like that before. I have changed my preferences to show future arrivals and still only have a few. Was this a new feature or did I do something wrong. I also notice that there is no "enrote" displays anymore, did I miss something? All departues are there so what happened to all the arrivals. Thank you for any help.

It sounds like we don't have the STB airport database available. Please compile it (Configuration menu, or if you use STB and FSX on separate computers the option is in STB-DS), restart STB and see if that resolves the situation.

Simon

that was a fast reply, it says that aircraft folder ut2 not found in fsx which is true, I did uninstall ultimate traffic 2 but if it's uninstalled then why is stb looking for it?

ok, it worked, i took for granted that by unistalling ult2 it would delete all occurences. But now back to the main problem, there are less departures, but now I can see all the future arrivals but none say "enroute" like they used to, they only say on time. What could cause this?

The first thing to verify is whether there are indeed the number of AI representing arrivals and departures in FSX that you are expecting to see. That can be difficult, but one way to do it is using the traffic toolbox.

Did you run any other AI package beside UT2? What are you running now? Can you give me an example airport and date and time where this is occurring please?

Simon

sure thing

The traffic toolbox shows tons of planes

was the "enroute" display taken out? I knew if they were labeled enroute, than they would arrive

I am running a mixture of woai and traffic x, I watched planes for a few hours at klax starting at 8:00am and there were about 10 arivals for the whole time, usually there are lots lots more arrivals

Is there a new setting that I am not aware of?

I'm not quite sure what you mean about the "enroute" display. If you are referring to the "all flights at selected airport" that was removed when the arrivals/departures split screen was added as it is essentially the same thing. Otherwise there are no other changes I can recall concerning arrivals. Are you using trafficX or trafficX 360?

I am using woai and traffic x.

When i look at the stb it shows the state as scheduled and remarks as on time but not much arrives and then they get cancelled. Even when the planes says it's due at 12:30 it still shows scheduled at 12:28 instead of enroute. There used to be several arrivals that said enroute. I have plenty of parking at my airports so it's not that.

Also sometimes kmia does not show in the airport list until about 10 minutes, these are strange problems indeed.

I also noticed that departures are not selectable even thought they are scheduled for departure in one minute, It just shows the flight data box

similar to the arrivals

I also see in the notes that most arrivals and departures are cancelled due to excessive schedule delays?

that's a new one

It really sounds like there is not as much AI in FSX as there should be. To answer your specific questions:

"I also noticed that departures are not selectable even thought they are scheduled for departure in one minute, It just shows the flight data box"

This happens when the AI is not available in FSX corresponding to the flight listed on the board (that we discovered should be there because that's what we read from the scheduling BGLs). It might not be there because it's been deleted by FSX (e.g. flown out of the reality bubble) or was never created in the first place.

"I also see in the notes that most arrivals and departures are cancelled due to excessive schedule delays? that's a new one".

It may be new to you, but it's been in the product a while now. Simply put, if the AI never shows up in FSX for a flight listed on the board, we try to make it look a little more interesting than leaving it forever in "Wait in Lougne" or "On Time". It sounds like another symptom of lack of AI in FSX.

"Even when the planes says it's due at 12:30 it still shows scheduled at 12:28 instead of enroute"

It will not change (except to cancelled as described above) unless the corresponding AI shows up in FSX.

"Also sometimes kmia does not show in the airport list until about 10 minutes, these are strange problems indeed."

That's normal when the airport is starved of AI in FSX. We only list airports that have at least 8 AI flights present (you can change this threshold in settings notebook).

So I accept these changes have occurred since you upgraded to STB V3.2. However I must also ask has anything else changed in the same timeframe. An easy trap to fall in to is adding WOAI packages that still contain FS9 style schedules. These disable a lot of the FSX schedules, for instance the ones provided in TrafficX.

Let's start simple and build up from there:

1) In STB Settings Notebook, Data Interpretation Tab, set "Level of Detail" to "Summary". Now we only show the flights that are actually happening in FSX with AI present in the simulator.

2) Load up a flight at whatever airport you like;

3) When the flight is fully loaded, pause the simulator;

4) Connect STB to FSX;

5) Look for "All Airports" in the airport selection list, and note the number in brackets;

6) Compare with the "Number of Aircraft" in Traffic Toolbox Explorer;

Please report back with these two values.

Thanks,

Simon

Now I noticed that there are less arrivals in traffic toolbox, in fact it only shows one arrival at lfpg at 11:30am. The departures are ok but this seems like an important indicator, right?

ok, the brackets at lfpg is (a-2 d-112) and the total count of aircraft in traffic toolbox is 210.

but not all those planes in traffic toolbox are related to lfpg.

I don't have any mixture of fsx and fs9 files, that's the first thing I took care of.

So somethings up.

thank you

So at this point we can observe that STB and Traffic Toolbox agree with each other, and both are an accurate reflection of what was happening in FSX at the time you looked?

Perhaps the next question is, why so few (i.e. 2) arrivals? That's normal right after the first time the simulator has started, but as time goes by they build up. Do you see that happening?

Simon

I know, that's the strange part and the reason for writing to you.

A constant issue is the difference between schedule times and actual airlines to view. For example if a plane is due to arrive at 7:55 it is not "selectable" for viewing until 2 minutes if at all, most of the times they go cancelled.

If you are seeing fewer arrivals than before, and Traffic Toolbox and STB are in agreement, the problem lies with FSX rather than STB. What you describe above is a symptom of arrivals that are expected because that's what the schedule BGLs say should happen (in STB's last reading of them) but in FSX they never show up. Why is that the case in FSX? I don't know. If we have ruled out issues with FS9 BGLs, the only other thing I can think of is to use airports near the centre of your reality bubble (near your user aircraft). Airports at the edge of the bubble likely see few real arrivals in FSX, as the flight plans for approach often sit outside the bubble.

Simon

I always spot at the airport that I "start" the flight at so I am always close to traffic. I don't know what the reality bubble is, I assume it's that. I checked all sorts of stuff and even reinstalled ultimate traffic 2 and I have more arrivals but they are all ultimate traffic planes and not traffic x or woai ones. This would be ok, but ultimate traffic planes won't work with stb so that's a big problem because I would rather use stb than any other utility. Is there any sort of workaround to get them to work?

I don't get why this is happening, the departures are fine so what is the difference with arrivals?

Everything was fine before the update. Is there some sort of fault finder so I can see if there is something stb is not getting from fsx?

ok, now it's all messed up. I can't follow a plane at all now. When I select "follow" then shadow and chase ai is showing already?. I can't even get over the airport before the flight dissapears. Is there a way to start over from scratch?. I don't know what's happening all of a sudden.

You've already gone through the fault finder throughout this topic. Did we not agree the problem is outside STB as described above:

"So at this point we can observe that STB and Traffic Toolbox agree with each other, and both are an accurate reflection of what was happening in FSX at the time you looked?

Perhaps the next question is, why so few (i.e. 2) arrivals? That's normal right after the first time the simulator has started, but as time goes by they build up. Do you see that happening?"

UT2 works fine, although I grant you there's an extra step to go through to see the data and some of the interactive commands are not available due to UT2's design.

We have two choices:

1) Deinstall STB completely, which also means deleting both program files install folder and the application data folder relevant to STB. Then, create a scenario using a saved flight and saved settings that eventually delivers the number of arrivals at an airport you are looking for. Use TrafficToolbox Explorer to verify the number of arrivals by sorting columns. Once you have such a scenario, we can think about how to reintroduce STB.

2) We use a desktop sharing utility where I can see what's happening on your computer. You can demonstrate the problem to me, I can see if there's anything else we have not already discussed. That will depend on you having a good upload speed on your internet connection, and being able to identify the best software to do this. You'll also need Instant Messenger or similar so I can guide you with instructions.

Simon

I am going to delete everything and start over. I have noticed in the app data and program files that I have stb2.3 and stb and stb 3. Do I delete all of those or do I delete everything from control panel uninstall a program?. This post may get long :)

Proceed as follows:

1) Uninstall from Control Panel

2) Check your install folder and delete any files left behind

3) Delete the application data files

4) Optional: Remove the STBServer.dll entry in FSX's dll.xml

I'm afraid the old clickteam installer does not do everything so well, so the list above is necessary. InstallShield is much better. If you would like an InstallShield installer please let me know, it will get you straight to V3.2 without the need for any patches.

yes, it would be great if you can send the 3.2 installer. i have been with you since the begining and I have tons of updates and patches and exe's. It's kind of confusing so one that does it all will be great!

well now it's serious. I uninstalled stb and loaded up fsx, My traffic toolbox says only 2 arrivals at klax at 7:43pm and much much more departures. What could that mean? it seems like it's a bigger problem and now I am getting frustrated.

Please remember to let FSX run for a while, arrivals take time to build up. I usually let half an hour of simulator time pass by until I see a picture I like. After that, I think it's time to ask questions over at the Just Flight forum.

I installed my traffic 5.4 and I have more movements now and it's not the same but I can live with it. Now I can't follow any planes at all, no matter what traffic program that I use they all dissapear. I used to spend hours following planes all the way but now I can't even watch for 5 minutes. What I have been doing before was click on a departure, select follow then airound locked spot and it was all good. Is there some new way or better way to do this? Can you send me the installer maybe that will work.