The simFlight Network Forums

widefs question

Pete

I have had registered FSUIP from fs9 days.. currently using FSUIP4. Now I am venturing into "widefs" but I am a bit clueless, and have 2 questions

1) I have a notebook that I want to use to drive/display some instruments on the notebook screen.

currently I want to use the notebook exclusively for displaying the GPS (Maybe later also PFD, MFD and from even another computor later more views, eg left and right side views) (No I dont want to drag the GPS to a seperate screen - this is to be used into a build cockpit so i want to set everything up inside build in cockpit. )

How do I go about that. Any pointers, any suggestions how to use widefs to enable me to use the GPS on seperate notebook for a start.

2) I understand widefs is now part of FSUIP4 (is that the case or do I still need to purchase widefs for FSX)

I qoute what I have read at another site.. let me know if I still need to purchase widefs, or am I fine with my current fsuip4 (I have latest build installed)

Obviously, I have not used WideFS either, but I am ASSUMING that you are mistaken relative to its use for FSX.
On Peter Dowson's site under FSX, , for "FSUIPC4.4.26", Peter states: "NEW Full release of FSUIPC4 (incorporating WideFS7)
for use with FSX March 5th 2008 (3 MB)
WideServer7 is built into FSUIPC4, you will need the WideClient from the WideFS link below"
The link below is "WideFS 6.75" and the text says: "The WideClient.exe included in this zip is to be used with the WideServer7
module which is included with FSUIPC4 from now on."
[/CODE]

How do I go about that. Any pointers, any suggestions how to use widefs to enable me to use the GPS on seperate notebook for a start.

You can't separate FS gauges from FS. They are part of FS. WideFS only extends the FSUIPC interface to other PCs, so it only supports external programs, separate programs, which use the FSUIPC interface to connect to FS. Perhaps you are confusing it with WidevieW, which links several PCs running FS.

There are programs which provide packages of gauges which do run on separate PCs. -- Project Magenta is the one I use. There's also ProSim 737, SimAvionics and FSXpand, and others too.

2) I understand widefs is now part of FSUIP4 (is that the case or do I still need to purchase widefs for FSX)

WideServer.DLL, the separate module which used to be used alongside FSUIPC3, is built into FSUIPC4 for efficiency. But it is still only enabled with a purchased registration (for WideFS7), just as WideFS6 was.

Regards

Pete