The simFlight Network Forums

My Traffic & SP2 or Acceleration

capndon

Hello

I want to buy and install My Traffic to my FSX. I only have the SP1 patch for FSX. When I try to install the SP2 patch, I get an error message saying I need a graphics card upgrade. My system is:

Gateway Intel ® Core 2 Quad CPU @ 2.66 GHz 2.67 GHz 6.00 GB Ram 64 Bit Vista Home Premium

Intel® G33 G31 Express Chipset Family.

My question is do I need the SP2 patch to run My Traffic X and if I do, can someone recommend a good graphics card. Also I heard that if I install Acceleration, it comes with the SP2 patch.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Don

Acceleration definitively is the best version of FSX by Microsoft. It contains much more than SP2, indeed SP2 is a stripped down version of Acceleration.

A core 2 Quad is not a bad CPU, I would recommend an ATI 5770 or a Geforce 5800 as example, if you see an offer ask again because decoding the GPU names is not so easy. Rule of thumb, the second digit should not be lower than 7.

But Traffic also runs with SP1, you just can expect better frame rates with SP2/Acceleration if you have a modest GPU. If you use Chipset graphics, the result will be poor perfomance, just because the main system memory is used then to store the graphics - which means that every texture has to be put through the main system bus every frame - and this is the bottleneck very soon.