The simFlight Network Forums

Hyperthreading

Guest francesco.doenz

On i5 and i7 processors I get the highest frame rate by switching hyperthreading off and limiting FSX/P3D to one single core - the gain from the internal automatic overclocking that switches on in this case for frame rate is higher than the win from using more than one core. But with this setting, the loading time gets about 3 times longer, and I see more stutters.

So you definitively have to test for your system yourself, it may depend on details of your chipset version what gives the best result.

Thank you very much for your clear and concise answer! This rises another question, when considering a CPU for these softwares, is the speed or the number of cores more important?

Speed. Nody has shown any framerate improvment going from 2 to 4 cores, and going from 1 to 2 brings 20% more maximum on old CPUs.

Things get slighly different with applications that run outside FSX/P3D and inject via Simconnect, if these use a lot of CPU - but a fast 4 core is even more than enough for this, and a 3,0 GHz 4 core better than a 2,83 Ghz 6 core.

Thank you for your help! Well, on my computer with an 3960 extreme I must say that I get smoother framerates and faster framerates with no hyperthreading, and I was wondering if it was normal!

If you are overclocking the 3960 then it may be a sign that the processor is getting a little hot due to insufficient cooling (these processors are known for running hot compared to the previous generation), if it is getting too hot then the processor will automatically throttle the speed of the processor down to bring the heat back down. Perhaps in your case turning off HT lowers the overall temperature enough to stop it from throttling, thus keeping the frame rate more stable for you even though it is not the general consensus..