The simFlight Network Forums

Using FSUIPC to disconnect the throttle when using A/T

Pete-

You mentioned something about using a special command in FSUIPC to disconnect the throttle axis when using Auto-Throttle logic. How can I apply this, keeping in mind I have to utilize PFCFSX.dll to calibrate and map the throttle axis, so as to function correctly w/ the NGX (without resorting to other fairly complex methods)?

Best- C

You mentioned something about using a special command in FSUIPC to disconnect the throttle axis when using Auto-Throttle logic. How can I apply this, keeping in mind I have to utilize PFCFSX.dll to calibrate and map the throttle axis, so as to function correctly w/ the NGX (without resorting to other fairly complex methods)?

The easiest way is to have a button or keypress to action the Throttles Off and Throttles On controls. They are in the drop-down assignments list for both key and button assignments. There's also a Throttles toggle control in case you one have a single normal button.

Really you want the throttles disconnected when you enable the AutoThrottle, and re-enabled when you disable A/T. You could do that by assigning both the A/T and the throttles controls to the same switch. To do that you'd need to edit the INI file because the dialogue only allows one assignment per switch on and switch off actions.

Even more sophisticated would be a Lua plug-in which did the throttle disconnection only when A/T modes were active (SPD, FLCH and VNAV modes). FS does this itself for default airliners. I think the PMDG 737NGX does it for the regular "Axis ThrottleN Set" controls (the ones with no reverse zone). To use those in FSUIPC you need to calibrate with "No Reverse Zone" set and the "UseAxisControlsForNRZ=Yes" option set in the relevant Joystick Calibration section of the INI.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

Is there a special command to disconnect the speed brake axis when you lose hydraulics or the right thrust reverser axis? I currently use Prosim737 and I open a relay via a gate to disconnect the rudder potentiometer when I lose hydraulics. Would I use an offset via the gate in Prosim737 and assign that in Fsuipc to disconnect a certain axis? How?

Martin

Is there a special command to disconnect the speed brake axis when you lose hydraulics or the right thrust reverser axis? I currently use Prosim737 and I open a relay via a gate to disconnect the rudder potentiometer when I lose hydraulics. Would I use an offset via the gate in Prosim737 and assign that in Fsuipc to disconnect a certain axis? How?

Apart from a very few supplied by FS (like engine fire) there are no commands as such for making failures or consequences happen. You'd need to work through the offsets where such provisions may be found. To program offset changes to a button or switch you could use the "Offset" controls which are assignable.

For the spoiler the disconnection is bit 2^1 (value 2) in offset 32F8. You can set that by Offset byte setbits with offset 32F8 and parameter 2 and clear it with Offset Byte clearbits. You could toggle it with togglebits if you only have a pushbutton.

If you install the currently supported version of FSUIPC (3.999z or 4.86) you will find the Offsets list in your FSUIPC Documents folder.

Regards

Pete

Pete-

A few times now you have referred to "Even more sophisticated would be a Lua plug-in which did the throttle disconnection only when A/T modes were active (SPD, FLCH and VNAV modes). FS does this itself for default airliners. I think the PMDG 737NGX does it for the regular "Axis ThrottleN Set" controls (the ones with no reverse zone). To use those in FSUIPC you need to calibrate with "No Reverse Zone" set and the "UseAxisControlsForNRZ=Yes" option set in the relevant Joystick Calibration section of the INI."

I have loaded the LINDA module and cannot even get it to see my serial PFC stuff......?

C

I have loaded the LINDA module and cannot even get it to see my serial PFC stuff......?

Not sure how your second paragraph relates to the first one, with the quotation, but, yes, though I've never used it myself, I wouldn't have thought Linda supported anything but normal joystick buttons. I don't think it even deals with Axes, does it? Why did you think otherwise?

Regards

Pete

Pete-

As the creator I know all this must appear simple to you, however, after wading through the Advanced Users Guide I still am befuddled. I thought LINDA programmed LUA.... apparently not.

How do I set a button to activate the TOGA and disconnect the manual throttles? Then how do I set another to disconnect Auto-Throttle and engage manual throttles? I know I have to edit the FSUIPC.ini..... How exactly?

Best- C

As the creator I know all this must appear simple to you, however, after wading through the Advanced Users Guide I still am befuddled. I thought LINDA programmed LUA.... apparently not.

Sorry, I do NOT know much at all about Linda. I am aware it uses some Lua, but it is also a program in its own right. And it is by others, not by me.

How do I set a button to activate the TOGA and disconnect the manual throttles? Then how do I set another to disconnect Auto-Throttle and engage manual throttles? I know I have to edit the FSUIPC.ini..... How exactly?

TOGA operation is dependent on the aircraft you are using. I don't know which control you'd need for that. The same may apply to A/T disconnection. But if you have programmed these already on your buttons then you can add the additional controls for throttles off and throttles on to the same buttons by adding a line for each in the INI file. The format for these is described in the FSUIPC Advanced User's Guide. I'll happily answer specific questions on this, but you need to look things up yourself and make an effort.

Meanwhile, try assigning a separate button, keypress or switch, and check that you can make it all work before going to more trouble.

I'm afraid that in a few hours I will be departing on holiday without Internet access, and will be back on Monday 18th February. If you still need assistance I hope others can jump in to advise.

Regards

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Pete-

Hope you enjoyed the steamers..... despite programming THROTTLE OFF to a button (perhaps because FSUIPC does not calibrate or manipulate the throttle axis- PFCFSX.dll does) it has NO effect disconnecting my throttles. I have achieved some success and noted it in the User Contribution area..... Still interested in your thoughts when you are settled in....

C

Hope you enjoyed the steamers..... despite programming THROTTLE OFF to a button (perhaps because FSUIPC does not calibrate or manipulate the throttle axis- PFCFSX.dll does) it has NO effect disconnecting my throttles. I have achieved some success and noted it in the User Contribution area..... Still interested in your thoughts when you are settled in....

Yes, you'd need to assign in FSUIPC instead.

Regards

Pete

Pete-

So if the axis is assigned in FSUIPC- sending as FSX Axis so that it works correctly..... my button should work? Right now the only axis assigned in FSUIPC are the Flaps, Spoilers and Reversers (which are sent as FS Axis' ) but then send the Throttle n Cut command TWICE through 2 axis zones close to the stowed position.

Is there any way to have the PAID FSUIPC integrate with PFCFSX.dll- it's a legacy bit of kit now as everything PFC sells currently is USB? It would be GREAT to have everything in ONE program.

Reading the Airbus throttle thread (Serial PFC again) with interest.... Wish I was smarter!

Best- C

Is there any way to have the PAID FSUIPC integrate with PFCFSX.dll

It does and is already integrated, and always has been. They work together, completely. Any PFC button or switch can be overridden by assignment in FSUIPC, and all of the PFC axes can be assigned in FSUIPC. You would simply need to disable in PFCFSX the axes you assign in FSUIPC.

it's a legacy bit of kit now as everything PFC sells currently is USB?

Most of my own 737NG cockpit is "legacy PFC", as you put it, and it works extremely well. There are also bits of the new USB ones, driven by my PFCHID.dLL, and my overhead is by Cockpitsonic driven by another of my modules. All these additional modules are free and I get no income from any of them, only from FSUIPC and WideFS. I wrote the drivers for my own use, because i had the hardware and did not like the original drivers.

It would be GREAT to have everything in ONE program.

The PFC drivers i wrote are simply extensions to FSUIPC. The USB equipment now supplied by PFC is handled by another extension, "PFCHID.DLL", and the Aerosoft (Australia) Piper cockpit is handled by another. In fact there's a range of add-on drivers for a range of different equipment made by several different firms, even including the now antiquated EPIC and FlightLink stuff. If I put everything into one bloated add-on no one would be pleased!

Regards

Pete