The simFlight Network Forums

SSD... OS or P3D?

SirPres

Burkhard, I'm considering buying a solid state or hybrid drive for my PC. SSDs are rather small in storage size, so I was wondering... should I put the operating system (Windows 7) or Prepar3D on the SSD? I've read on gaming websites that SSDs do not improve frame rates but with P3D, I'm hoping for a smoother operation with less stutters and freezes. I've also read you have installed an SSD. Are you satisfied with it?

A lot of people recommend putting the OS on a SSD - or at least part of the swapfile, because it means that all cached files (such as FS textures) are accessed and loaded faster. But as Burkhard says, they'll be loaded quicker in the first place if the FS is on the SSD instead.

I think it's swings and roundabouts personally, I don't have a SSD installed (can't afford one!), so can't comment from experience.

Ian P.

The OP is not using Windows 8, Burkhard - like many (I would suggest the vast majority) of the FS userbase. While I cannot comment on Win 8, I can very definitely confirm that Win 7 64 (the OP states that they are using Win 7) most certainly does use the swapfile.

Also, as FSX and P3D cannot currently access 8Gb of RAM (FSX never will, P3D hopefully will) then these are programmed to - and do - use Windows virtual memory to store loaded data. That's why many people install that way.

Like I said before, no personal experience, so I am relying on discussions between people who have.

Thanks Ian and Burkhard for your replies. I'm using Win7 for P3D. I tried Win8, but the joystick was inoperable. So, I had to put Win7 back on my system. I now have a dual boot setup and use Win7 for P3D only. Maybe when (or if) the joystick issue is resolved, I might return to Win8 for P3D. The new hybrid drives are cheaper and have more storage than SSDs, so I might purchase one and put both the Win7 and P3D on it. Thanks again.