The simFlight Network Forums

Lost Connection

I think your first step must be to ask the JET45 folks what they think, What causes those symptoms in their programs?

BTW didn't you ever try TCP protocol without that CWP program running?

Pete

I have asked the Jet45 people but they seem to think it's a network connection issue -- which would seem to be borne out by the fact that the standby gauges keep disconnecting (or losing connections) and then reconnecting.

I didn't try using the TPC protocol without the CWP program. I'll try that today but don't hold out much hope as this problem started long before I installed it.

I'll try running just the EICAS program as that is the one that has the most data updating. Would enabling a more detailed log with just this one program running still produce too much data to review?

Thanks

Alan

I have asked the Jet45 people but they seem to think it's a network connection issue -- which would seem to be borne out by the fact that the standby gauges keep disconnecting (or losing connections) and then reconnecting.

Well, there's no indication of any network problems in the log -- as i said, it records as performing well.

I didn't try using the TPC protocol without the CWP program. I'll try that today but don't hold out much hope as this problem started long before I installed it.

I'll try running just the EICAS program as that is the one that has the most data updating. Would enabling a more detailed log with just this one program running still produce too much data to review?

The problem would be that there'e be 10-15 minutes of detailed logging (reams and reams) before there MIGHT possibly be something worth looking at. You'd need to look at it yourself, checking the times on the left 9they are in milliseconds since the time logged at the start) and just send a section.

Even then, not knowing which program is reading what I'm unlikely to be able to tell -- it isn't as if there will be any errors, as if there were there'd be evidnce in the default log.

If I had a program misbehaving like their's I'd log the problem in the program, as that knows what it wants and what is missing.

Pete

Pete

I asked the JET45 people to see if logging their programs was possible (don't see why not). But here's the weird thing. Yesterday I decided to run just on DU so I started InterfaceIT, my EICAS, the standby gauge programs and both engines at idle (to produce some data flow). After an hour it was fine so I started the PFD program followed an hour later by the MFD. Everything (I never started the RMUs) ran just fine for about 5 hours until we had a bad storm and the PCs rebooted because of a power blip.

Seems that the issue I'm having only occurs if I start all programs at once. Everyone else does that by putting all their program shortcuts in the START folder so I'm not sure why it's just me. Hopefully a program log file will reveal all.

Thanks

Alan

I asked the JET45 people to see if logging their programs was possible (don't see why not). But here's the weird thing. Yesterday I decided to run just on DU so I started InterfaceIT, my EICAS, the standby gauge programs and both engines at idle (to produce some data flow). After an hour it was fine so I started the PFD program followed an hour later by the MFD. Everything (I never started the RMUs) ran just fine for about 5 hours until we had a bad storm and the PCs rebooted because of a power blip.

Seems that the issue I'm having only occurs if I start all programs at once.

When such programs are starting up they make their requests for the data they are going to be needing. At that time the requests are being sent through to fS. That's the only time because once the need for specific data items is recorded with the Server, it is sent automatically everytime it changes. It never needs to be requested again unless the connection is lost.

So things are going to start up with something approaching a traffic jam, then smooth out. But I thought you said you were getting good flying for 10-15 minutes before things started clogging up, so I would have assumed you were long past the possibly clogging up phase.

If it is to do with this phenomenon, then it might just be that the programs have rather short timeouts on their data requests, so fail and complain even though the initial data is going to be arriving soon.

The way I get over a potential jam initially is use the Delay option between the Run commands in the WideClient.INI. file. For example, here's part of the [user] section in one of my WideClient.INIs:

Run1=c:\WideClientOnly\wideclient3\wideclient.exe
Delay1=3
Close1=Yes

Run2=c:\WideClientOnly\wideclient2\wideclient.exe
Delay2=3
Close2=Yes

Run3=C:\pfdcopilotND\pfd.exe
Delay3=3
Close3=Yes

Run4=C:\pfdpilotND\pfd.exe
Close4=Yes
[/CODE]

See the Delay's, separateing the loading of each application?

Regards

Pete

Pete

So I can add the programs I wish to run in WideClient instead of starting them manually! I will try that as it is a better way of starting them. However as you noted, I don't see problems right away -- only after a period of time. I think the program log file may be the way to go. Still don't understand why I'm the only JET45 user who is having this problem. If, as you point out, there is nothing in the WideClient log that is out of the ordinary and I'm not losing my connection, then I have to surmise that there is something else in play here.

Thanks

Alan

So I can add the programs I wish to run in WideClient instead of starting them manually!

Of course! Though I'm not sure it'll cope with the numbers of programs you want to run, at least not without using some of the alternative Run options it offers..

Please do peruse the documentation sometime. It might prove useful! ;-)

Pete