The simFlight Network Forums

Problem with FSUIPC3999z2.zip

Hi, I received an e-mail advising me to download and install FSUIPC3999z2.zip and also FSUIPC490.zip which I did. 490 went perfectly but 39999 has a problem. Although I have a registered copy of FSUIPC 3.9 installed - the FSUIPC.dll file is dated 26/08/2009 and my key and ini files are in the modules folder with it, when I ran the 3999 install a dialogue box told me a valid installation had been found but when the box disappeared the .dll file from 2009 had disappeared from my modules folder and has not been replaced. When I started FS9 no modules box appeared in the menu bar. I have a copy of my modules folder on another drive so I copied the .dll file back to FS9 and tried again but with the same result. Any ideas why this is happening and how I can update my installation successfully please?

.. when I ran the 3999 install a dialogue box told me a valid installation had been found but when the box disappeared

Let's stop there a moment. When you run the installer, a window appears in which a scrolling log of all the Installer activities appears. It only stops when either there's a problem which it states in a message box, or it successfully INSTALLS the FSUIPC module and all its ancillaries and documentation. When you press OK it then goes on to ask if you want to register, check registrations, or simply cancel out.

The installer has been like this, doing these exact same things, for years, so you must have seen it before.

Now which part of that did you NOT see?

the .dll file from 2009 had disappeared from my modules folder and has not been replaced.

There is absolutely nothing in the FSUIPC installer which ever DELETES anything whatsoever. I think you must be looking in the wrong place!

When I started FS9 no modules box appeared in the menu bar. I have a copy of my modules folder on another drive so I copied the .dll file back to FS9 and tried again but with the same result.

It sounds exactly like you have two (or more?) installations of FS9 and you are looking in the wrong place altogether! Please take a more careful look. If you want assistance i will need to see the Install log, which if you cannot find the correct FS9 modules folder, can be saved when it confirms installation by using the "file" menu on the log window.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete, I have solved the mystery. When I tried the install prior to my post I had inadvertently left Norton 360 in silent mode so it gave no pop up messages. Having rebooted this evening and read your reply, and checked I had no other installation of FS9, I tried the install again and this time Norton declared fsuipc.exe to be a heuristic threat and had deleted it so although the dialogue box was stating a valid fsuipc installation had been found the process was being closed off before it could finish. The old dll file had again been deleted. Having shut down Norton 360 I was then able to successfully install the update. Sorry to trouble you.