The simFlight Network Forums

Disabling an aircraft to avoid overtaking your plane.

I almost run into a collision with another plane when trying to land at KEYW INTL. Even though I got the ATC clearance to land, another plane was taking off the runway at the very moment of my approach (obviously, that AI pilot was a bit slow to clear the runway). Obviously, the imbedded ATC in P3d and MyTraffic don’t seem to be in Sync (as they probably should). Anyway, is there a way to remove an aircraft from the runway just like one do in UT2 -CTRL+SHIFT+S to prevent an overtake?

Many Thanks, George.

There's also a function in registered FSUIPC called "TrafficZapper" that can be used to eliminate individual aircraft within set (adjustable) parameters. Unfortunately FSX and P3D ATC are both equally useless regarding provision of actual clearances and then sticking to them, so it's very hard to avoid proximity incidents with the AI.

I used to have a little freeware application that slowed did quite agood job of keeping the AI away from your aircraft, but can neither remember what it was called, nor know whether it would work with P3D. I might have to do some research there.

Ian P.

Are you think of AI Smooth and AI Separation Ian?

Super Traffic Board does a good job of keeping traffic off your behind automatically and you can also quickly delete traffic by selecting it from the departure or arrival page and right clicking and selecting delete. The former two are freeware and the later is payware but its worth the purchase price just for the traffic handling stuff in my opinion.

AI Smooth was the one I used - thanks Andy.

I didn't know SuperTrafficBoard contained that functionality. I'll have to go and have a look at it.

You don't happen to know if any of the above work with P3D, do you?

Cheers,

Ian P.

I've not tried them to be honest, I do have P3D but its not installed at the moment, I seem to remember reading that STB does work though as it basically does everything via Simconnect which is backward compatible with most FSX apps.

I've no idea about AI smooth and AI Separation though, it been many years since I used them, STB and FSUIPC's traffic zapper assigned to my DELETE key are my weapons of choice now, lol.

Also keeping the traffic sliders at a realistic level helps keep traffic densities within a range that ATC can handle in most cases, I rarely get runway incursions these days. I use MyTraffic X Pro 5.4b for my traffic with the sliders in the 25 to 30% range, this gives the most realistic number of aircraft at the airports I fly in and out of in the UK and west Western Europe.

AISmooth used to put them in a holding pattern, if I remember correctly, while AI Separation just edged them backwards a bit every time they moved, to maintain separation.

I haven't used either for a long time.

Do you have a preferred option, Burkhard, or do you just turn off crash detect like a lot of people I know? :)

Cheers,

ian P.

Crash detection is buggy as heck in FSX so its always the first thing I switch off after a fresh install of FSX, many scenery designers have rogue buildings with invisible bounding boxes (that are a lot large than the building itself) that cause crashes when taxing, even when you are well clear of any obstruction. It's just easier all around if you turn it off. If you fly that badly you need FS to tell you that you have crashed, you probably shouldn't be flying anyway and if you are still flying you probably don't care about crash detection anyway, lol.

I keep crash detection on for buildings specifically to find the mysterious invisible crash boxes... It comes with the job, unfortunately, but I usually turn off aircraft crashes, because of the completely clueless ATC, AI that pushes back into you at the gate, etc.

I also actually find the "bounce back into the air at 150KIAS" with crash detection turned off very irritating. I most certainly know when I crash, but given the fact that I'm usually testing, not flying for fun, I don't keep track of the number of flights that mention "The aircraft crashed at the end of the flight" anyway. ;)

Cheers,

Ian P.