The simFlight Network Forums

Setup reverse thrust with Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog for 4 engine aircraft

Hi,

I've got the Hotas Warthog which is dual throttle and i'm trying to setup reverser of each throttle to left and right engines respectively in FSX for 4 engines aircraft.

I want to set the "off" buttons of the throttles instead of the axis to do this but haven't been able to, can you please help me ?

I setup different keypresses in hotas's profiler both left and right throttle, with key press to activate and key release command with 3 seconds delay which gives enough time to fully activate reversers.

Following FSUIPC manual, throttle axis are configured in FSUIPC to command 2 engines each and working correctly.

In FSUIPC I assigned each of these keypresses in keypresses section to throttle 1 and 2 respectively and to each 1 I assigned throttle dec.

I managed to get this working but the thing is it's only working on one engine respectively, I understand this command only works for any 1 of the four engines if I select eng dec 1,2,3 or 4, is it possible to assign each command to 2 engines so that each hotas throttle's keypress commands reverser on 2 engines ?

I'm finding this a bit difficult to configure and so far this has been the closest I have gotten to get this working if there's another solution I'd appreciate if you could please let me know.

Thank you.

Edit. forgot to add, I have registered version of fsuipc and wide fs, if it matters.

In FSUIPC I assigned each of these keypresses in keypresses section to throttle 1 and 2 respectively and to each 1 I assigned throttle dec.

I managed to get this working but the thing is it's only working on one engine respectively, I understand this command only works for any 1 of the four engines if I select eng dec 1,2,3 or 4, is it possible to assign each command to 2 engines so that each hotas throttle's keypress commands reverser on 2 engines ?

You can have multiple assignments to button presses or key presses, but to do this you either need to use a macro file, constructed in an editor, and assign to that, or, easier for just two assignments as in this case, simply add the 2nd assignment line in the [Keys] section of the FSUIPC4 INI file. The format is described in the Advanced Users guide. Just add the additional engine "ThrottleN_decr" commands with the same keycode to another uniquely numbered line in [Keys].

The complete list of FS controls is installed in your FSUIPC documents folder, and gives the numbers you'd need to use.

Regards

Pete

Thank you very much, problem solved :razz:

For reference what I did was to add 2nd and forth line with the fs code for 2nd and 4th engine and key presses were shift+F8 for left engines and shift+F9 for right engines. It might help someone in the same situation.

5=119,9,65966,0

6=119,9,65971,0

7=120,9,65976,0

8=120,9,65981,0

Best regards

Sorry to bother again but although this system works with default 747 it won't work with airbus extended, I tried making a specific profile in fsuipc assigned right throttle to eng 2 dec but when I apply reversers engine nr 2 reverser only moves a fraction and won't apply reverser. But if I apply throttle one first and throttle 2 after throttle 1 being engaged it works perfectly, looks like it's not accepting input from both throttles at the same time, any idea idea what might be causing this ?

Thank you.

Sorry to bother again but although this system works with default 747 it won't work with airbus extended, I tried making a specific profile in fsuipc assigned right throttle to eng 2 dec but when I apply reversers engine nr 2 reverser only moves a fraction and won't apply reverser. But if I apply throttle one first and throttle 2 after throttle 1 being engaged it works perfectly, looks like it's not accepting input from both throttles at the same time, any idea idea what might be causing this ?

Sorry, no. You might try the support forum for the Airbus Extended. Some of these add-on aircraft do so many of their own tricks that it really is difficult to know what works and what doesn't, or why. And the airbus throttle system is very different from other aircraft.

Pete

I just noticed that I had wrongly configured throttle dec in throttle one, instead of assigning "throttle 1 dec" I had assigned "Throttle Dec" which activates both reversers. I think I hadn't noticed this in the 747 as keypresses were actuating only in engine 1 and 2

Having assigned the correct command "Throttle 1 dec" and "throttle 2 dec" respectively I just noticed that reversers are not working properly also on FSX's default aircraft, ie.737

But if I press the combination in the keyboard it works perfectly.

Combination I'm using is shift+F8 for left reverser and Shift+F9 for right one and pressing each one respectively or Shift+F8+F9 at same time in keyboard both reversers actuate.

I also checked the hotas reversers through it's event tester and it seems to be working properly, I can see both keypresses in the tester and both come up at the same time.

I think it might have to do with the way FSUIPC receives the commands from the hotas or sends both keypresses to fsx .

I've tried rebuillding Fsuipc Ini file to no avail.

I also tried assigning single keypress in hotas for each reverser and problem persists but I noticed that with only one key for each reverser and using the keyboard if both keys are pressed simultaneously both reversers actuate but if I press the keys with just a 1/4 of a second delay between keypresses only one reverser actuates, however if I press the keys with a couple of seconds or so delay between, both reversers work so I guess this is the problem, FSUIPC is not sending both keypresses simultaneously to FSX

Needless to say this is quite impractical with dual throttles\reversers, more so in the warthog as I have to lift the throttles to move them backwards to activate the reversers.

This happens both in "send to fs as normal axis" and direct to FSUIPC calibration mode.

None of these key combinations are assigned in fsx.

Can you please help me in solving this issue ?

Best regards

Having assigned the correct command "Throttle 1 dec" and "throttle 2 dec" respectively I just noticed that reversers are not working properly also on FSX's default aircraft, ie.737

But if I press the combination in the keyboard it works perfectly.

There is no difference. Whether the initiation is by keypress or button, both end up sending the exact the same things to FS. There must be an error -- use FSUIPC's logging to see what is going on. Button and Key logging will show the initiation, and Event logging the results.

I think it might have to do with the way FSUIPC receives the commands from the hotas or sends both keypresses to fsx .

I've tried rebuillding Fsuipc Ini file to no avail.

As I said, use the logging to see what is going on. That's what it is for.

FSUIPC is not sending both keypresses simultaneously to FSX

Key presses? You are programming FS to send keypresses, not controls?

It is not possibly to send simultaneous keypresses other than "shift keys" (Ctrl, Alt, Shift, Tab, Win, Menu) , denoted internally by flags, and a "normal key" (all the others) denoted by a key value. But all keypresses no matter how close, go into Windows normal message queuing system. They are not lost or discarded.

However, I don't know where keypresses come into it since we were discussing controls.

This happens both in "send to fs as normal axis" and direct to FSUIPC calibration mode.

Axis assignment is completely separate and different to either of the other two subjects you've mentined here, so now this is even more thoroughly confused. Maybe you need to sort out the confusion, please. :-(

Pete

Thank you very much, problem solved :razz:

For reference what I did was to add 2nd and forth line with the fs code for 2nd and 4th engine and key presses were shift+F8 for left engines and shift+F9 for right engines. It might help someone in the same situation.

5=119,9,65966,0

6=119,9,65971,0

7=120,9,65976,0

8=120,9,65981,0

Best regards

Hello ???

I have setup the TM Hotas Warthog for 4 engine reverse by:

post-15586-0-82173200-1372063973.jpg

And editing the .ini file to:

0=R1,29,C66635,0

1=U1,29,C65604,0

2=R1,29,C66636,0

3=R1,28,C66637,0

4=U1,28,C65604,0

5=R1,28,C66638,0

There is no difference. Whether the initiation is by keypress or button, both end up sending the exact the same things to FS. There must be an error -- use FSUIPC's logging to see what is going on. Button and Key logging will show the initiation, and Event logging the results.

As I said, use the logging to see what is going on. That's what it is for.

I have tried logging but don't really understand what's there

I have noticed though that activating reversers from the hotas the logging result is this

4040098 LogOptions changed, now 60000000 00000001

4043671 KEYDOWN: VK=16, Waiting=0, Repeat=N, Shifts=1

4043671 .. Key not programmed -- passed on to FS

4043671 KEYDOWN: VK=119, Waiting=0, Repeat=N, Shifts=1

4043671 FS Control Sent: Ctrl=65971, Param=0

4043671 .. This key is programmed in FSUIPC4 'Keys' options

4043671 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65971 (0x000101b3), Param= 0 (0x00000000) THROTTLE2_DECR

4043671 KEYDOWN: VK=120, Waiting=0, Repeat=N, Shifts=1

4043671 FS Control Sent: Ctrl=65966, Param=0

4043671 .. This key is programmed in FSUIPC4 'Keys' options

4043671 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65966 (0x000101ae), Param= 0 (0x00000000) THROTTLE1_DECR

4044170 KEYDOWN: VK=120, Waiting=0, Repeat=Y, Shifts=1

4044170 FS Control Sent: Ctrl=65966, Param=0

4044170 .. This key is programmed in FSUIPC4 'Keys' options

4044170 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65966 (0x000101ae), Param= 0 (0x00000000) THROTTLE1_DECR

4044201 KEYDOWN: VK=120, Waiting=0, Repeat=Y, Shifts=1

4044201 FS Control Sent: Ctrl=65966, Param=0

4044201 .. This key is programmed in FSUIPC4 'Keys' options

4044201 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65966 (0x000101ae), Param= 0 (0x00000000) THROTTLE1_DECR

4044232 KEYDOWN: VK=120, Waiting=0, Repeat=Y, Shifts=1

Activating from keyboard the result is very different alternating between throttle 1 dec and throttle 2 dec

4046666 KEYUP: VK=16, Waiting=0

4046666 KEYUP: VK=16, Waiting=0

4046666 KEYUP: VK=120, Waiting=0

4046666 KEYUP: VK=119, Waiting=0

4052438 KEYDOWN: VK=16, Waiting=0, Repeat=N, Shifts=1

4052438 .. Key not programmed -- passed on to FS

4052765 KEYDOWN: VK=120, Waiting=0, Repeat=N, Shifts=1

4052765 FS Control Sent: Ctrl=65966, Param=0

4052765 .. This key is programmed in FSUIPC4 'Keys' options

4052765 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65966 (0x000101ae), Param= 0 (0x00000000) THROTTLE1_DECR

4052765 KEYDOWN: VK=119, Waiting=0, Repeat=N, Shifts=1

4052765 FS Control Sent: Ctrl=65971, Param=0

4052765 .. This key is programmed in FSUIPC4 'Keys' options

4052765 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65971 (0x000101b3), Param= 0 (0x00000000) THROTTLE2_DECR

4053280 KEYDOWN: VK=120, Waiting=0, Repeat=Y, Shifts=1

4053280 FS Control Sent: Ctrl=65966, Param=0

4053280 .. This key is programmed in FSUIPC4 'Keys' options

4053280 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65966 (0x000101ae), Param= 0 (0x00000000) THROTTLE1_DECR

4053280 KEYDOWN: VK=119, Waiting=0, Repeat=Y, Shifts=1

4053280 FS Control Sent: Ctrl=65971, Param=0

4053280 .. This key is programmed in FSUIPC4 'Keys' options

4053280 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65971 (0x000101b3), Param= 0 (0x00000000) THROTTLE2_DECR

4053296 KEYDOWN: VK=120, Waiting=0, Repeat=Y, Shifts=1

Can you tell what the problem is from this log ? I can send you the full log file if needed

Key presses? You are programming FS to send keypresses, not controls?

Sorry, I meant keypress as what is programmed in the hotas and when using keyboard to try keypresses, In Fsuipc I'm indeed assigning controls

It is not possibly to send simultaneous keypresses other than "shift keys" (Ctrl, Alt, Shift, Tab, Win, Menu) , denoted internally by flags, and a "normal key" (all the others) denoted by a key value. But all keypresses no matter how close, go into Windows normal message queuing system. They are not lost or discarded.

However, I don't know where keypresses come into it since we were discussing controls.

Axis assignment is completely separate and different to either of the other two subjects you've mentined here, so now this is even more thoroughly confused. Maybe you need to sort out the confusion, please. :sad:

I understand now that it has got nothing to do with this problem I'm having, thought it might make a difference as the keypress function in the hotas is actually an extension of the throttles axis, ie, pushing throttle all the way back it stops at idle but throttle can be lifted and pushed back further thus activating the keypress

Sorry for the confusion but I am finding this really confusing

Hello ???

I have setup the TM Hotas Warthog for 4 engine reverse by:

And editing the .ini file to:

0=R1,29,C66635,0

1=U1,29,C65604,0

2=R1,29,C66636,0

3=R1,28,C66637,0

4=U1,28,C65604,0

5=R1,28,C66638,0

Hello Stephen,

did you assign the reversers to the throttles "off" position ? Because on my machine FSUIPC will only recognize it as keypress.

thank you for your help

Yes it is using the OFF buttons actuated by lifting the throttles to the off position.

are you using the target software ? I am able to assign reversers as buttons in fsuipc if not using TARGET but not if TARGET is active

I have tried logging but don't really understand what's there

I have noticed though that activating reversers from the hotas the logging result is this

I assume you are no longer using these assignments?

5=119,9,65966,0

6=119,9,65971,0

7=120,9,65976,0

8=120,9,65981,0

because the 119 is giving you 65971 and 120 is giving you 65966, consistently whether from the device or direct from the keyboard.

Anyway:

From the Hotas you appear to be pressing and holding pressed (for repeated action), BOTH shift+F8 and Shift+F9 at the same time. But only the second is repeating, as you can see from the KEYDOWN log entries for VK=120 with "Repeat=Y".

This will be a function of the HOTAS driver. FSUIPC is only doing what it is told to do. Seem you cannot hold more than one button on the device at the same time if you want sensible results.

Activating from keyboard the result is very different alternating between throttle 1 dec and throttle 2 dec

Well it is only "alternating" because the keyboard messages are coming in on the queue one by one. There's no such thing as simultaneous messages in one processing thread. Each key press is repeating in its own right. That's what you'd want the device to do as well, but it doesn't.

I understand now that it has got nothing to do with this problem I'm having, thought it might make a difference as the keypress function in the hotas is actually an extension of the throttles axis, ie, pushing throttle all the way back it stops at idle but throttle can be lifted and pushed back further thus activating the keypress

Well you'll need to apply reverse on one at a time or find some other way. Can't the device send actual button presses like nearly all other devices? Why is it sending keystrokes in any case?

Pete

Hello, still no name???

No I don't use the target software. Why use TARGET also?

If you look at the image I posted you'll see the OFF BUTTON as Pete has suggested assigned for reverse on one lever for #1 engine. You then add a line to the fsuipc.ini for the # 2 engine as shown. On the second lever assign the OFF BUTTON to #3 engine and again an entry for #4 in the .ini

I added a THROTTLE CUT on moving the levers back to idle.

I assume you are no longer using these assignments?

5=119,9,65966,0

6=119,9,65971,0

7=120,9,65976,0

8=120,9,65981,0

because the 119 is giving you 65971 and 120 is giving you 65966, consistently whether from the device or direct from the keyboard.

you're right, I'm not using those assignments now

Anyway:

From the Hotas you appear to be pressing and holding pressed (for repeated action), BOTH shift+F8 and Shift+F9 at the same time. But only the second is repeating, as you can see from the KEYDOWN log entries for VK=120 with "Repeat=Y".

This will be a function of the HOTAS driver. FSUIPC is only doing what it is told to do. Seem you cannot hold more than one button on the device at the same time if you want sensible results.

Yes, last night went to sleep thinking about it and thought that must be the problem, not related to fsuipc but to the hotas

Well it is only "alternating" because the keyboard messages are coming in on the queue one by one. There's no such thing as simultaneous messages in one processing thread. Each key press is repeating in its own right. That's what you'd want the device to do as well, but it doesn't.

Got it

Well you'll need to apply reverse on one at a time or find some other way. Can't the device send actual button presses like nearly all other devices? Why is it sending keystrokes in any case?

It can if not using the hotas software, if using it it seems it can't.

Using the software they are combined into one device and appear in fsx as "combined".

If not using it both throttle and joystick work independently and appear as 2 devices in fsx,

Hello, still no name???

Apologies, my name is Bruno

No I don't use the target software. Why use TARGET also?

I'd prefer to use it as It'll be easier to keep a backup of the profile and I'd like to use S4 as Pinky for further assigments.

If you look at the image I posted you'll see the OFF BUTTON as Pete has suggested assigned for reverse on one lever for #1 engine. You then add a line to the fsuipc.ini for the # 2 engine as shown. On the second lever assign the OFF BUTTON to #3 engine and again an entry for #4 in the .ini

I added a THROTTLE CUT on moving the levers back to idle.

Seems I'll have to decide if I want independent reversers I'll have to go this way

Will try it out and see how it goes.

Thank you for your help

Bruno Hands