The simFlight Network Forums

Fatal Error still occuring

I purchased PDGM's 747-400 about two years ago.  But starting yesterday, "Fatal Error" messages would pop up and reboot FSX.  It usually starts up after a few minutes at the airport terminal and usually when I change screens.   I had this problem when I first purchased add ons for FSX two years ago and only after an hour of flying, but the problem was resolved with adding UIAutomationCore.dll to FSX and had not had a fatal error since.  I read in posts recommending adding FSUIPC which I purchased yesterday,  but I am still have the fatal error issue.  This appears to only occur with PDGM 747, but not other add-ons.  The last add on I purchased for FSX was Fsdt GSX Ground Services but no fatal error issues with other aircraft add ons.  I checked other forums about this issue but most suggest what I have already done.   Does anyone have any suggestions?

I purchased PDGM's 747-400 about two years ago.  But starting yesterday, "Fatal Error" messages would pop up and reboot FSX.  It usually starts up after a few minutes at the airport terminal and usually when I change screens.   I had this problem when I first purchased add ons for FSX two years ago and only after an hour of flying, but the problem was resolved with adding UIAutomationCore.dll to FSX and had not had a fatal error since.  I read in posts recommending adding FSUIPC which I purchased yesterday,  but I am still have the fatal error issue.  This appears to only occur with PDGM 747, but not other add-ons.  The last add on I purchased for FSX was Fsdt GSX Ground Services but no fatal error issues with other aircraft add ons.  I checked other forums about this issue but most suggest what I have already done.   Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sorry, there's nothing I have heard of which does this. Are there any updates for the 747 you are missing? Have you asked on the PMDG support forum?

FSUIPC doesn't "cure" fatal crashes. There is one specific G3D.DLL crash it does patch out, but that is almost always related to scenery, not aircraft. And it applies whether you purchase FSUIPC or not, as it is part of the standard install features.

You will, in any case, need to supply more information. There is always more detail for crashes. Check the Windows application eror logs. It will tell you what the crash was and in which part of FS. You'll need to provide that information to anyone you enlist to help resolve it.

Regards

Pete

-

Pete,  Thank you for the quick reply.  Here is an attachment (or at least some of it, it was too big to load and had problems getting smaller) that I obtained from Event Viewer of one of the Fatal Errors. I cannot make heads or tails of it.  I am not a software expert on trouble shooting.  The airport I was trying was KSFO FSX Default.  I did have an addon scenery for KSFO but I disabled it because it was bad on the frame rates so I went back to the default.  This is the first time I used the default airport since before

I had the airport addon and this problem occured.   I tried Level D 767 and it also had a fatal error. At first I

thought it was just the 747 addon but apparently not.  It did not do it with Quality Wings 757, so I am baffled.

EventData

fsx.exe

475e17d3

API.DLL

475e180d

c0000005

0003b9a3

b58

01ce7a80806bbe61

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\API.DLL

9887e4cc-e677-11e2-aec1-00038a000015

Edited by cfoley

-

Pete,  Thank you for the quick reply.  Here is an attachment (or at least some of it, it was too big to load and had problems getting smaller) that I obtained from Event Viewer of one of the Fatal Errors. I cannot make heads or tails of it.  I am not a software expert on trouble shooting.  The airport I was trying was KSFO FSX Default.  I did have an addon scenery for KSFO but I disabled it because it was bad on the frame rates so I went back to the default.  This is the first time I used the default airport since before

I had the airport addon and this problem occured.   I tried Level D 767 and it also had a fatal error. At first I

thought it was just the 747 addon but apparently not.  It did not do it with Quality Wings 757, so I am baffled.

Well, the crash is in API.DLL, which is a sort of collection of all sorts of ancillary functions used all over the place in FS, so it doesn't really give much of a clue I'm afraid. I have to say, if it isn't due to a specific add-on you've changed or installed recently then I can only think there's some sort of corruption in FS's data somewhere.

Apart from a complete re-install, which can sometimes make things worse rather than better, I can only think of trying to delete your default flight, and your FSX CFG file, and let FS built a new one.

You may be better off going to a Forum more dedicated to this sort of crash than here, such as the AVSIM Crash To Desktop (CTD) Forum. I think you might find a lot of suggestions there.

Regards

Pete

Pete,  Thanks again for your assistance.  Where is the FSX CFG file located?   I checked my C:ProgramFiles(86)Microsoftgames/Microsoft Flight SimulatorX, but cannot find anything titled FSX CFG.  Also,  How do I delete a "Default Flight"?   As you can see I am not a computer software expert.   I have gone to AVISM but I have not received any replies yet.  I originally sent you this email in hopes that FSUIPC would help from what I had been reading in other forums.

Edited by cfoley

Pete,  Thanks again for your assistance.  Where is the FSX CFG file located?

In your AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX folder. You'll need to go to your main Windows drive (usually C:) go to Users, select your normal FSX user name, then follow that folder chain i just mentioned.

It might be hidden. You can unhide folders using the Folder Options menu in Explorer.

Also,  How do I delete a "Default Flight"?

Flights are normally stored in you Documents\Flight Simulator X Files folder.

I originally sent you this email in hopes that FSUIPC would help from what I had been reading in other forums.

FSUIPC has a fix for one particular crash in G3D.DLL. No others.

Pete

Pete, I found the files where you mentioned they would be.  So if I delete the FSX CFG file, FSX will automatically create a new one?

Yes, with all default settings. you may want to go back and tweak some things afterwards. Or, best, make a safe copy of it (eg "copy of FSX.cfg") in case it actually doesn't fix the problem and you want everything back.

Pete