The simFlight Network Forums

Values in FSUIPC

Hello Pete

Could you please tell me why the values in the axis assignment and joystick calibration windows move/change rapidly without any input from the

joystick/controls etc? Thank you.

Regards

Alan W

FS9, up to date FSUIPC

Could you please tell me why the values in the axis assignment and joystick calibration windows move/change rapidly without any input from the

joystick/controls etc?

If the values in axis assignments page are changing rapidly, there is most certainly input from the joystick -- it is jittering for some reason. The values shown there are read directly from DirectInput the Windows joystick interface.

If it is only the values in the calibration then it may be down to conflicting assignments to the same FS controls, but even then some input much be changing because both FSUIPC and FS do nothing if input values don't change.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Pete

Just spending some time calibrating etc and the values are 'jittering' in the axis assignment and joystick calibration window. I have checked FS own assignment-I have nothing assigned anywhere-all the assignments are deleted. In fact I've looked everywhere I can for a clue but can't find anything.

Do you have any other suggestions as to what may be causing this?

Thank you

Regards

Alan W

Hello Pete

Just spending some time calibrating etc and the values are 'jittering' in the axis assignment and joystick calibration window. I have checked FS own assignment-I have nothing assigned anywhere-all the assignments are deleted. In fact I've looked everywhere I can for a clue but can't find anything.

Do you have any other suggestions as to what may be causing this?

If the actual inputs from the device are jittering, then it is almost certainly a hardware, power supply, or connection problem. The values showing in the Axis Assignments tab are never affected by anything anywhere else in FS as they are obtained DIRECTLY from the Windows DirectInput functions.

You can stop jittering getting through to the calibration part by increasing the 'delta' value in the axis assignments. This makes FSUIPC ingnore changes less than a certain value. However, this will also reduce the resultion of your axes (ie. the number of discrete steps).

Regards

Pete

I'm not sure if my reply got to you so I'll ask again, what does discrete mean and what affect will it have on FS or controls etc?

Ask again? Not seen a previous one similar.

"Oxford English Dictionary:

discrete: adjective:  Separate, detached from others, individually distinct. Opposed to continuous."

The affect is to have less separate positions which do anything. For instance if the range of input is -16383 to +16383 and the "Delta" is 8192 then you'd only get 4 or 5 distinct values through the whole range. Okay for a 4-slot flaps axis but not so good for fine aileron or elevator control. Throttles are okay with less resolution than the main three surface controls.

Pete