The simFlight Network Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FSMP

FSC not matching FSX ?

I am seeing strange instances of FSC not matching FSX.

Note: No addon scenery or addon Nav data.  Ran the FSX databasebuilder.

(1) KMTN.   FSX shows a NDB called MTN, a mile SE of airport.

Does not show in FSX,  but other local NDBs  do

(2)  Saratoga VOR   SRQ

FSX shows freq as 117.00,  while FSX shows a different historic frequency.

Note:  CURRENT real world  --  NDB MTN no longer exist.

CURRENT real world  --  SRQ  is now 117.00

So FSC dara is more up to date than FSX data   !!

But FSX is meant to be getting its data from FSX bgl files, so how is it getting this newer UP TO DATE  info ?

Examination of the BGL files, shows the expected FSX data,  and not what FSC is depicting.

Once again, FSX database builder run sucessfully (at least without any errors displaying),  but still FSX & FSC do not match.

( scenerycfg.fsc is same as FSX's scenery.cfg)

I had another owner of FSX & FSC look -- they see the same differences,  with FSC NOT matching FSX.

Follow up question ..

What is the earliest version of AIRAC for FSC, that most closely matches the Default FSX scenery ?

Early to mid 90's  ??

Is it still available from anywhere ?  and will it run on all version of FSC  that support FSX ?

Geoff

Follow up question ..

What is the earliest version of AIRAC for FSC, that most closely matches the Default FSX scenery ?

Early to mid 90's  ??

Is it still available from anywhere ?  and will it run on all version of FSC  that support FSX ?

Geoff

Geoff, to be honest: when you seriously think about using an AIRAC totally outdated, although I doubt there is one available, I seriously recommend you to use FSX without any addon: neither a scenery nor an aircraft. Most of them come with actual data, like airports with actual ILS frequencies which also will not fit to old FSX database, or modern airliner addons that will also rely on actual data.

As Microsoft does not offer an update for FSX's outdated database, a very good solution can be found here: http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids.html

Geoff, to be honest: when you seriously think about using an AIRAC totally outdated, although I doubt there is one available, I seriously recommend you to use FSX without any addon: neither a scenery nor an aircraft. Most of them come with actual data, like airports with actual ILS frequencies which also will not fit to old FSX database, or modern airliner addons that will also rely on actual data.

As Microsoft does not offer an update for FSX's outdated database, a very good solution can be found here: http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids.html

Thanks for the advice  & links.

The way I see it,  one can either SIMULATE the world, as it was when MS frooze the FSX data,   and use Charts that match that period,  and hopefully a Matching AIRAC,

or

Be ever chasing to be up_to_date.     While there are updated AiRacs  (which is great), the problem arises when Airports (and their included navaid) change, and one is for ever  trying to find or produce updated airports bgl's  etc..

ie  With Updated AIRAC,  try flying the ILS approach to " 1 left"  @  KIAD

Everything is fine, till you get there,  only to find  in FSX,  that runway does had not been built yet, and you are landing in a field, because you did not know that in FSX, it was not correct, and you therefore had not searched and found a scenery update for KIAD that included that new runway.  (time to fly to your alternative !!)

When you consider this in a Multiplayer situation, it becomes even more Chaotic  -- everyone is flying with differeing worlds, and differeing Nav data  !!

I was just looking at the possibility of at least being able to define one Stable environment  -- ie   about 1994, which is about the time Aces seems to have stopped updaing their FS airports  etc.

-------

I see this as one of the bigger challenges facing any developer of a NEW Flight Sim....  option for automatic updates.

However, when one looks at the cost to produce these updates, for a limited market, it is doubtful that such an update system would ever be workable.