The simFlight Network Forums

Spoiler Axis

Hi Pete,

Customary compliment: I love your software. It is simply the best FS purchase I ever made.

Problem statement: I cannot make the spoilers activate/deactivate with a linear travel in between with an assigned controller axis.

Versions: I'm using FSUIPC v4.909 with FSX/Acceleration on a CH system consisting of CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, and Pedals (all USB) programmed with CH Control Manager v4.55.

To be clear, when I use the CH software to program the buttons and such, I make sure all axes are unknown or unprogrammed in that software (all axes are set to DX mode) so that I may use FSUIPC exclusively for all calibrations/axis assignments (no axes assigned in FSX Options/Settings/Controls menu). Note that the CH software calibration function shows a linear 0 to max travel on the Fighterstick's Z-axis, with no center position or detent. However, FSUIPC sees that axis with a center detent or zero position in the middle.

I had everything working correctly in the past until I reverted to v4.7 as a fellow simmer suggested as a fix to cure another problem (which did not help). Now that I'm back to v4.9 I cannot get the spoiler axis to act correctly no matter what I try. I cannot remember exactly what I did in the past to make this axis work correctly. The only difference I can see is that I'm using your latest v4.909 rather than v4.900 as in the past. To answer an obvious question before it's asked: yes, I tried that version too with the same results. And I had the same problem this time around with v4.7, which is the main reason I went back to the v4.9 version in the first place.

I deleted the .ini to allow a fresh start and all other axes act correctly except the Z-axis on the Fighterstick, which is meant to be used as throttle control if used standalone, but I wish to use it as spoiler control.

So when I get into FSUIPC, that axis shows a detent and I cannot make it work the spoilers in a linear fashion. Instead, it intermittently fully activates the spoilers and I cannot deactivate them, or it does nothing at all. Not sure what is happening. I have tried a couple of different jets that have spoilers and all act the same.

I suspect that if I could make FSUIPC see that axis as a linear potentiometer, instead of having a center detent, everything would be fine. Is there a way to make it so?

Thanks in advance.

Problem statement: I cannot make the spoilers activate/deactivate with a linear travel in between with an assigned controller axis.

So when I get into FSUIPC, that axis shows a detent and I cannot make it work the spoilers in a linear fashion. Instead, it intermittently fully activates the spoilers and I cannot deactivate them, or it does nothing at all. Not sure what is happening. I have tried a couple of different jets that have spoilers and all act the same.

I suspect that if I could make FSUIPC see that axis as a linear potentiometer, instead of having a center detent, everything would be fine. Is there a way to make it so?

It is not FSUIPC supplying a detente, it is FS. The detente is the "ARM" position, and it operates over a fixed region of the % deployment of the spoiler. It sounds like you are trying to test this whilst on the ground. FS has a nasty habit of deplying 100% if you arm it whilst on the ground, as if you've just landed.

There's no way with a continuous axis of moving smoothly from 0 to 100% without passing through the Arm region, so the ONLY way of calibrating or testing your spoiler axis is in the air.

Regards

Pete

I forgot to add that I'm doing it in the air, as suggested on other posts I read earlier. I get the same result in the air. I see what you mean about travelling thru the "armed" region. I have no idea how I got around that before.

I don't know what I did in the past but I was able to do this in a 0-100% manner before. Now I can't get it to do it no matter what I try. I have done many, many descents with the throttle minimum and nose pointed downward using the spoilers to maintain a 250 knot airspeed. I have viewed them externally and they were adjustable per that axis. I ain't making this up. So I guess I may have to change the way I do things unless I stumble on the answer - in which case I'll share it here.

Thanks.

I forgot to add that I'm doing it in the air, as suggested on other posts I read earlier. I get the same result in the air. I see what you mean about travelling thru the "armed" region. I have no idea how I got around that before.

I don't know what I did in the past but I was able to do this in a 0-100% manner before. Now I can't get it to do it no matter what I try. I have done many, many descents with the throttle minimum and nose pointed downward using the spoilers to maintain a 250 knot airspeed. I have viewed them externally and they were adjustable per that axis. I ain't making this up. So I guess I may have to change the way I do things unless I stumble on the answer - in which case I'll share it here.

I think you must have some sort of conflict going on, then. Go to the Logging tab and enable Axis logging. If you put FSX into Windowed mode temporarily, and enable the Console Logging option, you will be able to see exactly what is happening.

The spoiler axis has always worked perfectly except for the on-the-ground auto action. There is nothis weird or different about it otherwise.

Regards

Pete