The simFlight Network Forums

Getting FSUIPC to see a 64 button HID

Hi, everyone. I have recently upgraded my computer, and am now running FSX on Windows 8.

I have a hardware panel which I used to use in my older Windows XP system that is driven by a 0x64B USB card. Under XP it showed in FSUIPC as a game controller, and I was able to use FSUIPC to assign the button presses and releases to events. In Windows 8 Control Panel it shows as a "Standard System Device HID", and FSUIPC does not seem to see it at all. 

The card was sold by Leo Lacava's long defunct "Beta Innovations", so there is no manufacturer support. I have Leo's old 'USB Toolkit", which runs under Windows 8, and it too sees the card, and shows the buttons being pressed and released.

Anyone got any ideas how to persuade FSUIPC to see an HID rather than only game controllers?

Richard

Anyone got any ideas how to persuade FSUIPC to see an HID rather than only game controllers?

FSUIPC will only see it as a Game Controller if it is installed as a Game Controller -- same as Windows. FSUIPC only ses the Game Controllers windows does.

Maybe that can be accomplished with a different driver or installation package, like an "inf", but if nothing was ever done for anything later than XP you are probably out of luck.

HID devices are handled quite well by the COM library in FSUIPC's Lua plug-in facilities. It would mean writing a small Lua plug-in to convert the HID buttons into FSUIPC virtual buttons for assignment.

Regards

Pete

Thank you Pete, unfortunately I know absolutely zero about Lua.

Same as everyone initially, but it is chosen as a simple scripting language for everyone. Have you even looked at the documentation and examples provided? There's a "HIDdemo.lua" example for reading HID devices which would be a useful start -- just plug in your device's Vendor and Product names or IDs, as instructed in the comments in that file, and try it. The names or IDs you need are easily seen in the Windows registry, or displayed in the list produced by the HidScanner utility I provide. For HidScanner refer to the Lua section of the Download Links subforum.

Really no one else can program your device unless they have an identical one to do it with. I really don't think you need to simply give up so easily.

Pete