The simFlight Network Forums

Macro interfering with RIC knobs on PFC C2 Pro

Hello again,

I am using FSUIPC 4.9.1.0 with PFChid 1.3.30 on W7-64 bit

Just did a fresh reinstall of Windows and got everything back up and running. I noticed that a macro I created for the J3 Cub does not allow me to use the BARO knob in the C2 Pro for the kollsman window in the plane. Without the macro it works fine, but that obviously means that I can't assign switches to different functions  I need.

I also take it that the macro file doesn't restrict the switch functions to those only in the macro file. For example I did not put Magneto in the Macro file, yet I can still use the magnetos normally.

So really, my question is how can I still use the BARO whilst using the macro I made at the same time??

Just did a fresh reinstall of Windows and got everything back up and running. I noticed that a macro I created for the J3 Cub does not allow me to use the BARO knob in the C2 Pro for the kollsman window in the plane. Without the macro it works fine, but that obviously means that I can't assign switches to different functions  I need.

I also take it that the macro file doesn't restrict the switch functions to those only in the macro file. For example I did not put Magneto in the Macro file, yet I can still use the magnetos normally.

So really, my question is how can I still use the BARO whilst using the macro I made at the same time??

I don't see how programming some switches via macros affects others --as in fact you observed with the Magnetos. Are you sure there's nothing in the macro file relating to the Baro knob?

Maybe you should show me the file contents. I find it difficult to help in a vaccum.

Pete

Here is my PChid.ini

---

[Options]
FlashAPcapts=Yes
FlashMarkers=Yes
FlashTransponder=Yes
FlashADFindicator=Yes
DMEuseRMIselect=Yes
[Debug]
Console=No
LogComms=No
LogData=No
LogDecode=No
LogDevices=Yes
LogDeviceChanges=Yes
LogToDebugger=No
LogIPCwrites=No
LogMacroNames=No
LogTxData=No
LogReadCounts=No
[Config]
TrimRange=256
ApBeepWave=sound\Caapdis
AlertWave=sound\AltAlert
MacroFilename=PFC
[Config.A2A Piper Cub]
MacroFilename=CUB
TrimRange=256
ApBeepWave=sound\Caapdis
AlertWave=sound\AltAlert

---

FYI, the macro is being applied to different airplanes as well such as the default 172.

Here are the contents of the macro file:

[Macros]
1=AntiIce=C65699
2=Battery=C66809
3=Alternator=C66801
4=LandingLight=C66802
5=TaxiLight=C66803
6=Strobe=C66804
7=PitotHeat=C66805
8=FuelBoost=C66808
9=TankSelect=C66809
10=CowlFlaps=C66810
11=Flaps=C66811
12=LandingGear=C66812
13=Nav=C66370
14=ParkingBrake=C65687

Here is my PChid.ini

---

[Config]
TrimRange=256
ApBeepWave=sound\Caapdis
AlertWave=sound\AltAlert
MacroFilename=PFC

[Config.A2A Piper Cub]
MacroFilename=CUB
TrimRange=256
ApBeepWave=sound\Caapdis
AlertWave=sound\AltAlert

---

FYI, the macro is being applied to different airplanes as well such as the default 172.

Well, that's not the macro file, is it? Looks like you have a default file referenced, "PFC.mcro" and a specific one "CUB.mcro" for just the A2A Piper Cub. So the A2A one is okay, i it?

If you'd like to show me the macro file as originally asked for, I can take a look, but as it is ....

Pete

As I said, the macros work in the a2a one, but it is also working for all other planes. Furthermore, all other planes don't have functioning kollsman windows as well that i can use via baro knob.

I edited my post to show the macrofile, maybe you missed it.

As I said, the macros work in the a2a one, but it is also working for all other planes. 

Er ... I can't see any reference to A2A before it appears in the INI file you posted!? I am also now confused. You say it works for the A2A and also for all other planes. So ... it doesn't work for what, exactly? What is not included in "all other planes"?

Going back to the original report you said

I noticed that a macro I created for the J3 Cub does not allow me to use the BARO knob

Is this "J3 Cub" the same aircraft as the "A2A Piper Cub"? If so, I assume I was expected to know that? Sorry if that was it. I don't know all add-ons for FS, far from it.

If this is what you mean, is the Macro file you posted (after I  had read and quoted your original posting, BTW) the one entitled "CUB.mcro" or the other one? Either way, could you post the other one too, if it exists?

Also, do you mean that just the act of having a macro file stops the BARO action, or that there is a specific macro within the Macro file which stops it?

I edited my post to show the macrofile, maybe you missed it.

It wasn't there when I hit the "Quote" button to reply.

Pete

You say it works for the A2A and also for all other planes. So ... it doesn't work for what, exactly? What is not included in "all other planes"?

What I am trying to get across is that the macro I created (CUB.mcro) was obviously made to work only with the A2A J3 Cub, yet the CUB.mcro also work for the default fsx planes.

If this is what you mean, is the Macro file you posted (after I  had read and quoted your original posting, BTW) the one entitled "CUB.mcro" or the other one? Either way, could you post the other one too, if it exists?

the macro file I posted was CUB.mcro, I have not made any other macro file.

Also, do you mean that just the act of having a macro file stops the BARO action, or that there is a specific macro within the Macro file which stops it?

The act of having a macro file stops the BARO action. There is nothing within the macro file which should have anything to do with the BARO action. Actually every macro within CUB.mcro is assigned to an empty command (on purpose of course :) )

Hopefully this clears things up

What I am trying to get across is that the macro I created (CUB.mcro) was obviously made to work only with the A2A J3 Cub, yet the CUB.mcro also work for the default fsx planes.

Oh, that's odd. The [Config.A2A Piper Cub] section should only be operational for an aircraft by that name.

I must assume that you DO actually mean that the switches are working as if the macros were assigned, and not simply that the macros are listed in FSUIPC's drop-downs for assignment. Please tell me immediately if this assumption is wrong.

The act of having a macro file stops the BARO action.

Even if it has no entries? Or one entry? Or a different one entry?

There is nothing within the macro file which should have anything to do with the BARO action.

I understand that. You seem to misunderstand what i need to diagnose and fix things. I don't have easy access to the hardware with which to test it here, and I certainly don't have any A2A aircraft. I am trying to get closer to where the problem might be by asking questions.  This might then lead to asking for some logging to be done so I can track it further. If this is annoying for you, and you aren't bothered if it isn't fixed, then I'll desist. But I do like to fix things if they are broken.

Actually every macro within CUB.mcro is assigned to an empty command (on purpose of course :) )

That is not actually true. You appear to have assigned them all to unlisted controls, ones without names, but each of those when sent to FS may actually do something. You should NEVER use a control number without actually knowing. If you want an innocuous one which does nothing useful, then find one which is explicitly like that, at least on all the aircraft you use. For instance, something for a 4th engine when you never have that many.

Perhaps you could tell me why you are actually assigning all these (different) unknown controls, please? I don't understand what it is you are intending by it.

Pete

I must assume that you DO actually mean that the switches are working as if the macros were assigned, and not simply that the macros are listed in FSUIPC's drop-downs for assignment. Please tell me immediately if this assumption is wrong.

Yes, what is in bold is correct.

Even if it has no entries? Or one entry? Or a different one entry?

I removed entries but 1=AntiIce=C65699... And Baro interestingly works again.

That is not actually true. You appear to have assigned them all to unlisted controls, ones without names, but each of those when sent to FS may actually do something

Yes, sorry, I mean't unlisted' controls.

I on purpose assigned them all to unlisted controls. However, I didn't know that those unlisted controls 'may actually do something'!!!

If they were unlisted I thought that they would be doing nothing (an innocuous assignment)- which was what I needed.

The reason why I need to do this is because I have a throttle quadrant which includes carb heat control. However, carb heat control is automatically activated by the ANTI ICE switch on the C2 pro. I wanted to configure carb heat control to the one in the throttle quadrant so I had to assign ANTIICE to an innocuous assignment in order to make it function properly on the throttle quadrant. I figured that this was an innocuous command because according to a pdf file called 'LIST of FSX controls' 65699 had no control assigned to it therefore it shouldn't conflict with another assignment.

I did this for parking brake as well (cubs don't have parking brakes) as well as all the other assignments (because cubs don't have what I listed as well) sinceI thought they might cause a similar problem like the anti ice switch, so thought best to assign them to innocuous commands to prevent similar problems.

Now then...

If you want an innocuous one which does nothing useful, then find one which is explicitly like that, at least on all the aircraft you use

What is this innocuous command called??? Where is it in the pdf document LIST of FSX CONTROLS?

Also is it possible for you to fix the problem of the macros affecting other aircraft too?

I removed entries but 1=AntiIce=C65699... And Baro interestingly works again.

Okay. This certainly implies that one of the unlisted controls you used does something stopping the BARO action. Maybe, if oyu had time, you could find the actual entry that does this.

In my confusion earlier, I still didn't understand whether it was ONLY the BARO on the A2A aircraft not working, or on any aircraft with that adjustment? You said at one point

Furthermore, all other planes don't have functioning kollsman windows as well that i can use via baro knob.

which I now realise i didn't fully understand. All aircraft I know of are capable of adjusting the altimeter to accord with current QNH, and this is done via a BARO know adjustment. The display is called the "Kollsman widow" because it was a window in an altimeter first invented by the German Kollsman company, but all aircraft with altimeters need to allow this adjustment.

I didn't know that those unlisted controls 'may actually do something'!!!

Well, I don't know whether they do or not. They are simply not given any names in the FS CONTROLS.DLL tables. They might be used internally between parts of FS. Additionally many add-ons do make use of controls for their own purposes. The PMDG add-ons use hundreds of them, but usually in a range far higher than the FS default ones. I think some aircraft may be using ones unlisted in FS, and it could be one of those you happened to use is actually used internally in the A2A aircraft.

What is this innocuous command called???

Oh dear. "Innocuous" is an English word meaning something like "having no ill effect". It isn't a specific command, it is up to you to choose one which, in the action it is described as doing, has no ill effect. If you refer back you will see that I did actually suggest a way to choose one. did you miss that?

There is, however, actually an FSUIPC added control called "Nothing: no action" which you could use. It is number 1126 (listed in the added controls list in the Advanced User's guide).

Also is it possible for you to fix the problem of the macros affecting other aircraft too?

I'd certainly hope so! Perhaps you could please do another test for me so I know where to look. Create a dummy PFC.mcro file for me, first with only the one line in it

[Macros]

then with at least one innocuous macro entry in it. Please let me know the results with both tests.

Pete

Okay,

With just [Macros] everything on the C2 console worked normally, which meant the ANTI ICE switch trigerred carb heat on and off in the A2A cub and in different aircraft.

With:

[Macros]
1=AntiIce=C1126

ANTI ICE switch does not turn carb heat on and off in the a2a cub and in different aircraft.

BTW this is in the PFChid.ini

[Config.A2A Piper Cub]
MacroFilename=PFC
TrimRange=256
ApBeepWave=sound\Caapdis
AlertWave=sound\AltAlert

With just [Macros] everything on the C2 console worked normally, which meant the ANTI ICE switch trigerred carb heat on and off in the A2A cub and in different aircraft.

With:

[Macros]
1=AntiIce=C1126

ANTI ICE switch does not turn carb heat on and off in the a2a cub and in different aircraft.

Which is what you wanted, right? So using a real "do nothing" control like that you can make all the other switches do nothing also, right?

But the questions are really about the BARO knob aren't they? Have you tested that? Why no comment about that?

And what about the other test, to find out why the A2A assignments affect all aircraft? you seem to have stopped prematurely.

[Config.A2A Piper Cub]
MacroFilename=PFC
TrimRange=256
ApBeepWave=sound\Caapdis
AlertWave=sound\AltAlert

You've changed "CUB" to "PFC"? did you make a "PFC.mcro" file?

This is getting more and more confusing. You seem to leak a little information each time. It's going to take a while! ... ;-)

Regards

Pete

Which is what you wanted, right? So using a real "do nothing" control like that you can make all the other switches do nothing also, right?

Yes

But the questions are really about the BARO knob aren't they? Have you tested that? 

It worked normally in each case.

And what about the other test, to find out why the A2A assignments affect all aircraft?

You mean to see which number in the fsx control pdf was triggering this issue? What test was it? I only see the 2 tests you told me to do. BTW can't I just set multiple "do nothing assignments" using the same number? (1126)

You've changed "CUB" to "PFC"? did you make a "PFC.mcro" file?

Yes... As you mentioned : "Create a dummy PFC.mcro file for me"

You mean to see which number in the fsx control pdf was triggering this issue?

No no no! I don't care about that. It was obviously one of those unlisted controls. I've moved on to your other problem, about why the CUB macros are being used for other aircraft!

What test was it? I only see the 2 tests you told me to do.

Yes yes yes. Create a PFC.MCRO file to see if the problem is that without a default MCRO file the DLL was retaining the CUB assignments.

The two tests were, to repeat myself, create a PFC.mcro file with only

[Macros]

in it, no actual macros only the heading. Run FSX, see if your CUB macros then operate in other aircraft. If so, repeat with test after adding one line of assignment to the PFC.MCRO file. Let me know the results. What isn't clear?

Yes... As you mentioned : "Create a dummy PFC.mcro file for me"

But I didn't say delete the CUB.mcro file and edit the INI file!!! That defeats the object altogether, don't you see?

BTW can't I just set multiple "do nothing assignments" using the same number? (1126)

For the switches you want to do nothing? Of course. Haven't you done that yet? I didn't understand why you assigned different "do nothing" (as you thjought) contorl numbers to each switch in the first place. What was the point opf that? Did you think different "no things" were better than all the same 2do nothings"?

Pete

Okay Pete,

I will try to be as detailed as possible for you. 

FYI All assignments in CUB macro now have the number 1126. For instance:

[Macros]

1=AntiIce=C1126

2=Battery=C1126

3=Alternator=C1126

4=LandingLight=C1126

5=TaxiLight=C1126

6=Strobe=C1126

7=PitotHeat=C1126

8=FuelBoost=C1126

9=TankSelect=C1126

10=CowlFlaps=C1126

11=Flaps=C1126

12=LandingGear=C1126

13=ParkingBrake=C1126

Unfortunately the BARO problem exists still even when using the 1126 number. According to you: "There is, however, actually an FSUIPC added control called "Nothing: no action" which you could use. It is number 1126 (listed in the added controls list in the Advanced User's guide)."

So in this case, how could the numbers previously assigned be to blame? I tested this without the PFC.mcro file BTW. Also, If i Just left 1=Antice=C1126, baro problem disappears. Maybe its something to do with the variable name?

Now, on to your tests:

with just [Macros] in PFC.mcro:

result? CUB macros operate in other aircraft.

With 

[Macros]

1=Nav=C1126

result? In this case NAV lights didn't work in default aircraft, nor did they in the A2A cub

Hopefully NOW this is everything you need to solve your problem

Unfortunately the BARO problem exists still even when using the 1126 number.

Okay. Then, in that case, one of those other lines is diverting the BARO knob. So it's a process of elimination.  There's only 13 lines there, and the culprit is one of the other 12, so try removing the last 6. If that makes BARO work, then the last 3, and so on, zeroing in on the culprit. Once i know that i can zero in direct on the relevant code.

with just [Macros] in PFC.mcro:
result? CUB macros operate in other aircraft.

Hmm. Okay, so an empty file doesn't satisfy.
With 
[Macros]
1=Nav=C1126
result? In this case NAV lights didn't work in default aircraft, nor did they in the A2A cub

And the CUB macro file was still there? Did the CUB macros affect other aircraft or not, you don't say.

Hopefully NOW this is everything you need to solve your problem

Not your problem too?

These aspects of the PFCHID program must have been like this for several years. I don't deal with PFC devices these days, but I'm surprosd PFC haven't tested the software I did for them -- after all they had all the hardware. nonetheless, since i wrote it I like to make sure it works correctly. It's just difficult without access.

I might need more tests done tomorrow, maybe with some logging.

Regards

Pete

Okay. Then, in that case, one of those other lines is diverting the BARO knob. So it's a process of elimination.  There's only 13 lines there, and the culprit is one of the other 12, so try removing the last 6. If that makes BARO work, then the last 3, and so on, zeroing in on the culprit. Once i know that i can zero in direct on the relevant code.

Ok

And the CUB macro file was still there? Did the CUB macros affect other aircraft or not, you don't say.

CUB macro file was still there. The CUB macros did not affect other aircraft.

I will post what was the culprit or culprits affecting behavior of BARO knob soon.

Okay, here's the deal.

I did the systematic approach as to what was causing the BARO knob to not work. I made my way through the entire list, and to my surprise I could leave all 13 of the macros in there and get the baro knob to work in EVERY airplane. HOWEVER, even though this even worked in the A2A cub, my CUB.mcro macros were not working in the cub!

Then I thought to reload FSX and load this time FIRST with the a2a cub- boom, no baro but macros exist AND the macros work across all of the default aircraft!

So in this case, If you don't load up the aircraft you created macros for first, then the macros will be ignored across all airplanes. If you do load up the aircraft you created macros for first, then the macros will be applied across all airplanes.

Quite the problem  :blink:

So in this case, If you don't load up the aircraft you created macros for first, then the macros will be ignored across all airplanes. If you do load up the aircraft you created macros for first, then the macros will be applied across all airplanes.

Quite the problem  :blink:

Seems that either you are the only person using PFCHid after all these years (4 and a half years, with no change in any of the facilities you are talking about!), or perhaps the only person using Macros. Very odd that PFC have let it go all that time. It would have been much easier for me to sort out when I was famiiar with both the code and the hardware!

But I will figure it out, but I'll need to use you as guinea pig, for testing and feedback. Okay?

Once you got the macro file working again, did you not proceed with the process of elimination? I still need to sort that one too, remember?

Regards

Pete

Culprit was the variable named 'Alternator'

Right, thanks. That makes a bit of sense. The BARO knob macro is called "Alt" (for "Altimeter", after the label on the RIC part of the console). I suspect there's an error in the way the names are compared when selecting the right one.

I'lll find and fix that. I've also made some changes to the way the DLL recognises aircraft name changes. I think it might have been missing them sometimes before, and so not selecting the right macro file.

I'll give you a link to an updated version later this morning.

Pete