The simFlight Network Forums
iubrian

5.4c CTD problem - a solution?

I recently updated from 5.4b to c, per the instructions. Now I have been having frequent CTD issues, usually a ntdll.dll crash, sometimes a stack_hash error. Had been using 5.4b for about a year with no problems. Happens when flying PMDG NGX in SW USA. Have UTX, GEX, and REX, tried changing LOD and scenery sliders, still crashed (saved flight, kept restarting to see how chanes affected it). Only when I put airline traffic at 0 did it not crash. System is 2500k @ 4.5, 560 ti, and 8g of ram. Rarely crashed before, only change I can think of is 5.4b to 5.4c (and spring 2013 schedules).

Forgot to add, with 5.4b, I typically ran airline traffic at 25-30% in the US. Could run it higher, the only negative was frame rates. With 5.4c, started at 50%, and went down to the same settings I had with 5.4b, still crashed.

First, thank you for replying so quickly; your reputation for being extremely responsive is well deserved!

Second, although yesterday I was able to replicate the problem repeatedly, even after rebooting the PC mutiple times, today when I tried, there were no problems. I was flying from Flightbeam's KPHX to MMUN. The problem was around 0015, and would happen on take off, or 5 to 10 minutes after takeoff (so the airport shouldn't have been the problem). Today, however, when I set airline traffic to 50 and tried to repeat, I had no problems, so you should not waste your time on what is probably a wild goose chase, and was a problem unrelated to 5.4c - I'm beating myself in the head for what appears to br my mistake. Unless I or anyone else is able to repeat this issue, I guess it's solved. If I have further problems, I will let you know via pm, if possible.

Thanks again for your speedy reply. I have enjoyed your program very much (INCLUDING the frame-friendly models), and appreciate your commitment to your product and your customers.

Yes, please Keep your eyes open, and if there is a Crash not G;T and exact location - chasing white elefants is an extremely difficult task... 

I had a similar problem after upgrading from version B to C a few days ago.  FSX would freeze midflight with an error message.  I didn't have much time to test, but it happened on every flight i tried from KPHX to KPHL, at varying points in the flight.  Pretty sure it was a traffic issue, as identical flights without any AI traffic enabled (sliders=0) completed fine (the crashes were with commercial traffic at 30-50, GA set to zero).  I was about to go back to version B when on a whim, I changed the traffic schedules spring 2013 to fall 2012.  So far - no crashes.

Hm, I tested in that area too and had some crashes which never could be made reproducable, I will check there again. If it turns out that the crashes do not appear with 2012 schedules, this would help to pin it down, so please confirm this in a few days...

I ran into the issue again on approach at KRNO, around 2200 GMT, using 2013 schedules. Happened about 3 times, then I was eventually able to land. May be completely unrelated, I am just throwing that out there, in case it helps at all. Want to emphasize, however, that I am very pleased with 5.4c, and remain unsure that the problems are due to it.

Please for the second pull the Folders B735My to B738My out of the aircraft Folder, and check if it runs stable without These, that I saw yesterday and another user also has some indication pointing there, but nothing found yet.

Moved folders, then had 3 crashes at KPHX, twice it wouldn't even load the flight - crashed at "100% loading" traffic. The first time I was sitting at the gate. Time was almost exactly 01:00 GMT, maybe a couple of minutes after. When I was at the gate, it was probably around 1:01. Then I restarted fsx two more times, setting the time back 3 hours, so it was probably 1:03 and 1:06 GMT each time when it crashed before I could load the flight. Tried a 4th time, and I forgot to reset the time to my desired departure, so it was around 4:10 GMT. Flight loaded that time. Unfortunately, I've had a long week, and my daughter has a cross-country race early in the morning, and I've suddenly become tired, otherwise I would try rebooting my computer, and making some more attempts. But I wanted to share this information, because it was very specific to a time and place, and I rarely, very rarely crash before the flight has been loaded. I have crashes very rarely in general.

Had another CTD sitting at gate at KPHX. 1400 GMT. Replaced 735-38 files, loaded 2012 schedules, no problems so far. Will probably try a few more short hops with 2012 schedules from KPHX to see if there are more crashes, just to eliminate my system as the cause, then retry 2013 to see if it returns.

Hm am back to start myself.

Yesterday I had a flight that crashed FSX as sson as the 737s were installed, and it ran smooth without them. Today I checked the same flight and cannot get it to ever crash, but please really test if without the Folders B733MX to B738MX it works for you, just pull these folders out of the MyTraffic\aircraft folders - that is the only trace I found up to now. If this could be verified we would be one step further.

The crashes do not apprear, as far as I got them, during the loading phase of AI traffic, but mostly when I exit FSX.

There was an interesting finding by Mike that is worth a try about a case sensitveness in file names...

The cure is a bit hand work for today, if it really fixes it we will see how to improve this.

Please put the file Patches54c.exe in the attached archive into MyTraffic\MyTrafficAircraftInstallers.

Next please delete the Folders in MyTraffic\aircraft:

B732MX\texture.My213

B735\texture.My73

B737\texture.My85

B738\texture.My132 and 133

B788\texture.My07

and now run Patches54c.exe with a double click. Fingers crossed... 

Patches54C.zip

After deleting those folders and running the patch, I didn't get any crashes on a flight from KRAP to KSLC with 50% airline and 35% GA. I was getting a crash before at KRAP at the same time I flew today. The patch seems to work.

Burkhard, I found this black texture at KSLC at 10:18 local time. It might be a Southwest plane.

dt9.gif

About the black texture, please add if you installed 5.4c full installer, 5.4b full installer with 5.4bc update, or 5.4a installer with 5.4ab update and then 5.4bc update, so that I have a chance to find it...

I installed the patch per instructions, then had a CTD about 5 minutes after loading a flight at KPHX. I restarted, and flew to KDEN no problems, so maybe the first CTD was an anomaly. I will makes several more flights this week from KPHX, since that's where I seem to have problems relatively consistently, and report back any issues. 

Thanks again.

Hi there, I tried the patch this morning as well and had a crash at KPHX @ 14:40Z (simulator time). Using MyTraffic 5.4c, 2013 schedules, AI traffic slider set at 32%.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

I've flown two flights so far and no crashes after the patch.

For those still getting crashes, did you delete those folders that Burkhard listed before running the patch? I didn't and installed the patch and got crashes. After deleting the folders and re-installing the patch, no more crashes.

I tried the same flight as evaamo (at KPHX at 14:40Z with 50% traffic) and got no crashes.

I deleted the files. In my case, after the initial post patch crash, I've only had the time to complete one flight, so I don't have a large enough sample size to say whether the crash was related, or just a random fsxism. If I can get 3 or 4 more short hops in without problems, I will feel more confident that the problem is resolved.

Okay, the issue is not solved as I'm getting consistent ntdll crashes at KDEN at 8:08AM local time with 50% airline density. When I remove all 737 folders from MyTraffic/Aircraft folder, then the crashes stop.

Reverting to the 2012 schedule was the only way I was able to depart KPHX without a CTD.

I did delete the folders before running the patch, just in case.