The simFlight Network Forums

Windows 8.1 RTM and FSUIPC 4.9.1 crash

Hi Pete,

I have the latest Windows8.1 installed RTM version to be released 17 Oct.

I am getting a random crash of FSX, sometimes I am flying by hand, other times the aircraft is cruising and I am not touching any controls, then FSX crash and reset to the start-up screen.

I don't know if any of this info will help?

It seems to be always the same error message as in the attached txt file.

Regards
Jannie

fsuipc_crash.txt

Hi Pete,

I have the latest Windows8.1 installed RTM version to be released 17 Oct.

I am getting a random crash of FSX, sometimes I am flying by hand, other times the aircraft is cruising and I am not touching any controls, then FSX crash and reset to the start-up screen.

I don't know if any of this info will help?

It seems to be always the same error message as in the attached txt file.

Regards

Jannie

The information would be useful if it related to the currently supported version of FSUIPC, i.e. 4.92. Perhaps you could retry after updating, and let me have the same data which I can then possibly use?

BTW, please note that the Log file you supplied does actually show a perfectly normal session with a tidy ending, so maybe it doesn't relate to the crash?

Unfortunately I am away on holiday in a few hours, back Monday 23rd September.

Please ALWAYS check that you are using the current version before asking for support. It saves time.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

Sorry I did not check for new version, I actually make a habit of checking regularly, must have had a momentarily brain freeze.

I will update and let you know if there is still a problem.

I think the log file shows intact, because, FSX crashes and then automatically restarts and I have to close it, so I end up with a new log file.

Enjoy your holiday and have a safe one.

Cheers,

Jannie

Hi Pete,

Sorry I did not check for new version, I actually make a habit of checking regularly, must have had a momentarily brain freeze.

I will update and let you know if there is still a problem.

I think the log file shows intact, because, FSX crashes and then automatically restarts and I have to close it, so I end up with a new log file.

Enjoy your holiday and have a safe one.

Cheers,

Jannie

Hmmm, maybe, but the successful closure was after a session lasting 42 minutes, as you can see:

4641 System time = 11/09/2013 16:40:26
  2540500 System time = 11/09/2013 17:22:42, Simulator time = 17:22:36 (15:22Z)

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

I tried with 4.9.2 but still got the crash.

This is sort of random, sometimes it is 40+ minutes into flight, other times only a few minutes.

Sometime I am busy with the controls of the aircraft, other times it is just cruising not touching anything.

So far I could not pin point what action triggers is.

I am still eliminating stuff, next will try to not use FS Global WX to see if that could be the problem.

Txt file contains all the usual details.

fsuipc_crash.txt

• 2 weeks later...

This time I was using FSX default built in weather, so that eliminate my FSGWX theory.

The crash information is useful, but not conclusive. On the face of it the crash is occurring when FSUIPC tries to process some message from SimConnect which appears to be an AI Traffic Add/Remove notification. but the data SimConnect provides is the wrong length.

However, this makes no sense to me. I suppose it could happen with a corrupted Traffic file, but it seems unlikely.

Another explanation which is possible, I suppose, is that somehow the wrong part of my code is getting executed for a different SimConnect notification. I can't see how at present. Whatever it may be, it is certainly related to SimConnect data in FSUIPC's hands.

I made one very very small change to test for the latter idea. Please download FSUIPC 4.920a

and see if that's any different. Just place the DLL in the FSX Modules folder and run the test again.

If it doesn't help I need more information. As a first step, please add these lines to the [General] section of the FSUIPC4.INI file:

Debug=Please

LogExtras=16384

This will produce a large log file, but I just need the last few lines before it crashes.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for coming back about this.

Unfortunately I would not be able to test this due to the nature of my work, Windows 8.1 and its issues are now on the back burner and will be revisited at a later stage.

For the moment I am continuing work on Windows 7.

When I get back to testing on Win8.1 and still experience crash issues at that stage I will return to this post with comments on the then current released version of FSUIPC4.

Jannie

PS. just so you know, no AI was used in any form, all default AI was turned off/disabled and no 3rd party AI was used.

Hi Pete,

Just some feedback, I have just finished a flight of nearly 14 hours and confirm this as fixed now using 4.92a.

I also noticed now that 4.921 is available.

Just out of interest, what was the reason or the cause of this crash with Win8.1?

Cheers

Jannie

EDIT: aah not to worry, I just read the pdf file that came with the download, I wonder what rogue data this could be.

EDIT: aah not to worry, I just ready the pdf file that came with the download, I wonder what rogue data this could be.

II don't know. I haven't got 8.1. The logging I suggested, which turned out to be nnecessary because my "guess" turned out correct, resulted in the fix! ;-)

Pete

• 3 weeks later...