The simFlight Network Forums

Removed default FSX traffic, but they still appear

I've searched here, I know there are topics on this; but I can't seem to readily find any; searched on the internet and found quite a bit of info

but the bad news is traffic_aircraft.bgl is nowhere to be found and neither is trafficAircraft.bgl yet this is what everybody says to remove; it doesn't work and I want to remove default AI (such as orbit, landmark, global freightways, etc) I would think by removing these my frames wouldn't suffer as much; as far as default AI that are GA I'm not sure I exactly want to remove them but I might as well they are also framerate killers.

Would removing all default AI allow for more of MTX AI? (since I'm keeping it at 30% by removing the default AI I would lose approx 10%?

Have you looked in your C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Scenery\World\Scenery folder? That is where trafficAircraft.bgl file is.

Like I'd post here if that were the case, didn't you read I already said I looked there, I didn't find and in fact removed trafficaircraft.bgl and some people had mentioned traffic_aircraft.bgl and I looked for that too; default a/c still show up I don't want them!

If there is no scenery\world\scenery\trafficAircraft.bgl then you do not get the stock AI traffic. There are other addons though that add AI schedules using stock models, it may be you are the victim of such bad habits. I recommend you run the tool to search for traffic bgl files, and post the result here if you do not see a file yourself that is the culprit. If a file generates AI traffic world wide, it must be bigger than 10 MB approx.

If there is no scenery\world\scenery\trafficAircraft.bgl then you do not get the stock AI traffic. There are other addons though that add AI schedules using stock models, it may be you are the victim of such bad habits. I recommend you run the tool to search for traffic bgl files, and post the result here if you do not see a file yourself that is the culprit. If a file generates AI traffic world wide, it must be bigger than 10 MB approx.

Ok, that's an answer I can live with; could you tell me what this tool is called? And whether it is included with MTX or not? If not, where can I get it?

I know that FTX Orbx scenery do add traffic but I'm not sure it calls up the default models or not but I see the default models no matter where I go

I don't have any other AI traffic addon other than the possibility of Orbx and of course the MTX product from you :).

Either start MyTraffic Communicator and call the function from there, or double click to MyTraffic\Traffic_bgls.bat - if will take a minute or three and then a Notepad window pops up.

Ok I remember now; this is how I found the files the last time; unfortunately I am not so sure and could use some advice.  I saved the results from the .bat file you told me to execute.

I've included the file for you to review if you would kindly do so :) thanks for your efforts in answering :D

Traffic_schedules.txt

It's probably the last file in that list, simply cut and paste it to your desktop so its removed from FS and try again. Obviously make sure FSX isn't running when you do this though.

traffic_bowerman.bgl? I thought this was related to FTX/Orbx so I left it alone; but I could try for sure.

It was the only file I didn't recognise, now you say it you are probably correct and its not to blame. Nothing else looks like it is at fault though.

Are you sure you dont have two FSX installs or something as you shouldn't be seeing default traffic.

well I have FS9 installed but not two FSX installs

I haven't used FS9 since last spring; I've been considering the day to remove it.

Perhaps show us some screen shots of the traffic you are seeing, just in case we can see anything obvious.

You are aware that MyTraffic does use some small default AI aircraft such as the Learjet, Cessna and Piper. You certainly shouldn't be seeing airlines such as Orbit though.

Perhaps show us some screen shots of the traffic you are seeing, just in case we can see anything obvious.

You are aware that MyTraffic does use some small default AI aircraft such as the Learjet, Cessna and Piper. You certainly shouldn't be seeing airlines such as Orbit though.

Yes I noticed that MTX does use the LJ, Cessna and Piper; but why not use its own rather than the ones in FSX? These are frame hitters.

I still see Orbit, Global Airways and one other that are flying CRJs, 747s, etc (its less obvious at some airports)

I'll have to post a screenie

Actually for the number of those that you see in FS the hit on the framerate is minimal, they are actually pretty efficient models, that's why they were left in (I'm on the beta team, have been for years). The Piper for example has a very low poly count.

ah I had the impression MSFS default planes were hard on the frames; I'm not getting great frame rates but they are acceptable at 25% traffic load I just don't find it realistic enough JMO but any more than 30% I start to have trouble in high density areas such as Flightbeam's KSFO and FSDT KLAS

The default aircraft - since FSX SP1 anyway - have what is called LODs or Levels of Detail (sorry if you know that, but if you don't, this may be useful...)

What LODs do is that they display a less complex model, the further away fom the user viewpoint the model is. This means that you can actually have a large number on display at any one time, because they display a lower poly model and a lower resolution unless they are right up close to your viewpoint.

Cheers,

Ian P.

Traffic_Bowerman.bgl comes, I believe, with the Bowerman field freeware add-on from Orbx (http://www.fullterrain.com/freeware.html). Their AI traffic files are all FSX format in my experience - I have Bowerman amongst my collection and have noticed no problems in the area with MyTrafficX.

Unfortunately I'm the wrong side of the Irish Sea to confirm this right now.

Ian P.

Traffic_Bowerman.bgl comes, I believe, with the Bowerman field freeware add-on from Orbx (http://www.fullterrain.com/freeware.html). Their AI traffic files are all FSX format in my experience - I have Bowerman amongst my collection and have noticed no problems in the area with MyTrafficX.

Unfortunately I'm the wrong side of the Irish Sea to confirm this right now.

Ian P.

Its not the area I'm concerned about, its the generality of AI traffic that keep showing up; IMHO Landmark, Orbit, etc are the lamest AI Microsoft came up with and sticks out like a sore thumb.

The default aircraft - since FSX SP1 anyway - have what is called LODs or Levels of Detail (sorry if you know that, but if you don't, this may be useful...)

What LODs do is that they display a less complex model, the further away fom the user viewpoint the model is. This means that you can actually have a large number on display at any one time, because they display a lower poly model and a lower resolution unless they are right up close to your viewpoint.

Cheers,

Ian P.

yep LOD is good stuff; though how ugly it looks so far away vs how nice it looks up close is a staggering difference but is useful and isn't noticed that much

Gonna have to crack out the simulator and find out what I find now that bowerman has been removed.

There aren't many traffic files in that list, and if it is word wide it must have several MB minimum.

What about the file scenery\world\scenery\trafficAircraft.bgl, that gets renamed by the MyTraffic installer to trafficAircraft.bgl.passive - is it still there with exactly that Name?

If I recall, you can open the FSX Traffic Explorer when you see one of these offending default airlines, click on that AI aircraft and it should show what file is generating that aircraft...maybe that would give you a clue where to look for the unwanted traffic file...

I know there's such tool; but I haven't figured out how to use it yet supposedly you're supposed to be able to remove/inject AI with this tool or something similar to it maybe Mr. B can explain; but I think there's a tutorial on this already.