The simFlight Network Forums

LUA plug in for trim wheel

greetings all,

after searching high and low, i found the solution i was looking for regarding my trim wheel and my saitek multi-panel not working together:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/72492-using-a-trim-wheel-axis-to-operate-with-trim-inc-and-dec-instead/

I just need a little assistance getting it to work,,

A. is the example he pasted for the LUA plug in workable?

B. can i copy and paste it onto notebook and use it as the LUA plug-in? i did this, but it doesnt seem to work,,,

C. Can someone either direct me to a thread that will show me how to complete this fix or just give me a tutorial on how to do it?

I have already tried copying the LUA example and adding it to the modules folder in fsx, and i have already added his text example of, 

[Auto]

1=LUA trimwheel

to the INI files in FSUIPC (FSUIPC INI file) sheesh, but nothing showed up in the calibration settings on fsx for "LUA trimwheel" where i could assign the trim wheel axis to LUA trimwheel,,

thanks a ton!

thanks Pete for being an amazing support and dealing with me:)

daniel

after searching high and low, i found the solution i was looking for regarding my trim wheel and my saitek multi-panel not working together:

http://forum.simflig...nd-dec-instead/

Er ... that thread only has contributions by you and I. Why on Earth post again like this trying to pretend it was someone else and you had difficulties in finding your own thread entries of only a short time ago? What game is this? I know I asked you to move to the Support Forum, by why such subterfuge?

I have already tried copying the LUA example and adding it to the modules folder in fsx, and i have already added his text example of, 

[Auto]

1=trimwheel

to the INI files in FSUIPC

I'm not going to explain it all again. All the information and instructions you need are there. And despite my correcting you in the other thread, you still persist in copying the stupid mistake you made and have simply completely ignored what I said. It is not "1=trimwheel" but 1=Lua trimwheel!!! And it is not "ini files in FSUIPC" but just THE FSUIPC INI file. There is only the one!!! It contains all your FSUIPC settings.

Why don't you read what is actually written? You are perpetuating the same silly errors agasin and again by simply not bothering to read properly.

...but nothing showed up in the calibration settings on fsx for "LUA trimwheel" where i could assign the trim wheel axis to LUA trimwheel,,

What on Earth have "calibration settings" got to do with it?  As I explained there and in other places, you assign the Axis to LuaValue trimwheel. You have evertything 100% wrong. You just aren't reading what is written! :sad:

It is extremely frustrating to have to explain the same things over and over when you just can't be bothered to read the replies correctly! Don't you see? Please understand that and READ THINGS MORE CAREFULLY!

It would also help to actually read some of the documentation supplied with the program. That's what it is for, to explain things. There are even pictures in some of the documents!

Pete

oh dear.

I just wrote it wrong on the thread!!!

i know it is: 

[Auto}

1=LUA trim wheel           im sorry i just wrote it wrong on the thread!!!!!

AND i know it is THE FSUIPC INI files!!! What is the difference any way,, INI file in FSUIPC or the FSUIPC INI file, thats pointless, theyre the same thing, sorry i made it plural,, lets not break a sweat here,,

i just wrote it wrong on the thread,, oh dear.

I DID read the manual and i found NOTHING that would assist me with this,,

regarding calibration,,, im talking about FSX calibration settings when i go to ASSIGN the AXIS

I ACTUALLY DO READ, and again I FOUND NOTHING, i dare you to show me some thing WRITTEN Where it explains this, i looked through all of your manuals for LUA,,, NOTHING.

I DARE you to show me a PICTURE that explains this specifically,

AND i know it is THE FSUIPC INI files!!! What is the difference any way,, INI file in FSUIPC or the FSUIPC INI file, thats pointless, theyre the same thing, sorry i made it plural,, lets not break a sweat here,,

i just wrote it wrong on the thread,, oh dear.

But in the previous thread you were talking about saving to something you called "trimwheel.ini". Don't you see? You were completely confused then through not reading correctly, so I naturally assume the same here! Can you blame me?

I DID read the manual and i found NOTHING that would assist me with this,,

regarding calibration,,, im talking about FSX calibration settings when i go to ASSIGN the AXIS

There you go again. Assigning axes and calibrating controls are two different things on separate Tabs and described in separate chapters in the manual! Please please read the words, don't substitute your own incorrect words, and refer to the manual when in doubt! You are NOT doing any calibration whatsoever for this appl;ication, and calibration has never been mentioned in anything I've said about it.

I DARE you to show me a PICTURE that explains this specifically,

Not specifically this one use of assigning an axis, but there's a picture of the assignments tab and descriptions of what to do to assign things. You won't have found it because you are insisting on looking in the wrong place and ignoring what i'm saying!

Of course there's no specific instructions on doing the infinite numbers of different things you can do with Lua plug-ins and the like. FSUIPC offers a set of tools to do almost anything you want to do. The instructions are for using the tools themselves, not applying them. There are examples to help with that, and the help I provide here -- which you continue to misread or ignore!

Pete

I finally got it to work,, my only mistake was that I thought you were directing me to Microsoft flight simulator's axis assignment and not fsuipc axis assignment, Once I figured that part out I was easily able to assign the x axis trim wheel to lua value trim wheel and the trim wheel no longer resets to neutral.

That said, the trim wheel function is reversed, any ideas on how I can get up trim by rotating the wheel downward again? I'm assuming it's all on the same axis assignment tab?

That said, the trim wheel function is reversed, any ideas on how I can get up trim by rotating the wheel downward again? I'm assuming it's all on the same axis assignment tab?

The easiest way to fix that is to simply swap over the controls in the Lua file, so that trim dec is trim inc and vice versa. Those are the two numbers in the ipc.control functions..

Pete

Thank you, I tried switching the arrows and It worked as well:)

Upon exercising the trim wheel I noticed that the travel is reduced to apr. 20% in both directions! is there a way to allow the travel to utilize the entire range of the trim wheel?

Thank you,

That can either mean that you are turning it so fast that many of the controls which might be sent are being missed, or that the trim device you have has insufficient resolution to provide enough increments between extremes. You might need to calibrate the axis properly in Windows, it might not have the full range needed. You could also try reducing the Delta value on the axis assignment tab for this axis, so that smaller changes in the input value are handled.

Pete

thank you,

i am using the saitek cessna pro flight trim wheel, i think i have two options for calibration,,

A. using the saitek software

B. using the microsoft flight sim x calibration settings

is there another Windows setting im not familiar with?

i will lower the delta setting to just one increment of movement to see if that will allow for the full range, i have always had full range when using the trim wheel with fsx,i think this is a great modification, and i appreciate your providing us all with ways to manipulate our fs programs,,

thank you,

i am using the saitek cessna pro flight trim wheel, i think i have two options for calibration,,

A. using the saitek software

B. using the microsoft flight sim x calibration settings

is there another Windows setting im not familiar with?

What you call "microsoft flight sim x calibration settings" is actually just an in-game way of getting into the Windows calibration facilities. They used to be more directly available as the "Game Controllers" applet in the Windows control Panel, but I've no idea how you'd get to them nowadays in Windows 7. Probably through the Device Manager in Systems applet.

The way in through FSX is fine. You'll just need to (temporarily) reenable FSX controller, otherwise the calibration button is disabled.

Pete

hmm,

neither fixes worked, the trim wheel travel is limited to different endpoints in either direction, maybe 40% up travel and 25% down travel now, wierd.

I recalibrated thru fsx: re-enabled trim wheel, calibrated, de-enabled trim wheel once

i lowered the Delta setting to one increment

it seems as if the trim wheel endpoints are random in position.

another problem was after doing these attempted fixes, FSX would not let me de-enable the trim wheel without de-enabling the entire yoke system:(

bummer,i was so close to making an entire flight with a smooth transition between the multi-panel autopilot and the trim wheel without a disruption in my flight path!

bummer,i was so close to making an entire flight with a smooth transition between the multi-panel autopilot and the trim wheel without a disruption in my flight path!

That trim wheel sounds like a really bad device. Is it Saitek as well? If I were you I'd try and get assisyance from them.  Seems it is not fit for purpose.

Pete