The simFlight Network Forums

New computer and FSUIPC assignments

Pete, I am getting a new computer and read in the manual about assigning letters to joysticks etc.I have autoassign letters=yes so I have letters AND numbers assigned to my joysticks and quadrants.Does this mean by copying my fsuipc.ini to new install it will save my assignments and calibrations including my buttons?Thanks for your time and help,Ron

Pete, I am getting a new computer and read in the manual about assigning letters to joysticks etc.I have autoassign letters=yes so I have letters AND numbers assigned to my joysticks and quadrants.Does this mean by copying my fsuipc.ini to new install it will save my assignments and calibrations including my buttons?Thanks for your time and help,Ron

When you say you have letter and numbers assigned, what devices still have numbers? The letter assignment should have replaced all of then except things like Goflight and WideFS-connected controls. Neither of those will be affected by a change of PC in any case. But it is likely that all normal joysticks (those numbered 0 to 15) will change IDs. The lettering safeguards this, using the joystick names and (hopefully) unigue GUIDs.

Apart from this worry, all you need to do after installing FS, running it at least once, then installing FSUIPC, is copy the FSUIPC INI file, the FSUIPC4 KEY file, and any Lua and MCRO files you are using. All your settings and assignments and calibrations will be fine.

Regards

Pete

My CH Yoke and pedals and Saitek(2)  Quadrants have both numbers and letters assigned.I do not remember assigning the letters in the ini text.Could I have done it in the program?Thanks for the response.Ron

With AutoAssignLetters=Yes the assignment would have been automatic. AND it should cover all of your normal devices, so I'm puzzled. This is why I asked "what devices still have numbers?", which you've not yet answered.

Are you sure you aren't mixing up joystck identification and button numbers. Buttons all still have numbers.

If you are as confused as it appears, perhaps you should simply paste in your INI file here so I can see what it is that confuses you? It might be quicker?

Regards

Pete

Good suggestion.Here they are:[JoyNames]

AutoAssignLetters=Yes
A=CH PRO PEDALS USB
B=CH FLIGHT SIM YOKE USB
C=Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant
D=Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant
2=Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant
2.GUID={8601D9B0-51BA-11E0-8005-444553540000}
0=CH FLIGHT SIM YOKE USB
0.GUID={8601D9B0-51BA-11E0-8004-444553540000}
3=Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant
3.GUID={8601D9B0-51BA-11E0-8006-444553540000}
C.GUID={8601D9B0-51BA-11E0-8005-444553540000}
D.GUID={8601D9B0-51BA-11E0-8006-444553540000}
1=CH PRO PEDALS USB
1.GUID={8601D9B0-51BA-11E0-8003-444553540000}    Thanks,Ron

Good suggestion.Here they are:[JoyNames]

Yes. So? That looks perfect. They are not assignments! Assignments are those lines in places like [Axes] and [buttons]. The [Joynames] section is the essential part that tells FSUIPC which joystick numbers are currently assigned to which letters. That is the sectin which will automatically be re-calculated if you moved any devices, or moved to another PC. The whole point of the section is to allow the letters to stay correct in the assignments!

Please, if you'd read the one page section about Joy Letters in the User Guide you probably wouldn't be quite so confused. I'm not sure why you went down this track in the first place -- just don't confuse assignments of buttons and axes to the business of names and GUIDs and their letter and numeric representations. In its dealings with Windows FSUIPC needs the numbers, not the letters, so it translates the letters into numbers internally, all to save you all this bother.

Regards

Pete

I read the Joy Letters page several times before posting.Not clear to me, that is why the post.I am a college graduate but also an old guy.Been doing this a long time.If you say everything is perfect I am happy.Hopefully after new computer ect. I will not have to bother you again with inane questions.Thanks for the help.Ron